Drop weight movement

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ryeung, Oct 29, 2006.

1. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Was stringing a racket last night and noticed that for some reason when I released the fixed clamp after pulling, the drop weight will drop a little more. Never noticed this happening before. And it only happens on the one clamp and not the other. I use an Eagnas Flex740 with the clamps modified to glide bar clamps instead of the double action fixed clamps. Any ideas why this is happening?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Means the previous tensioned string (the one being clamped) was losing significant amount of tension. Once the clamp is removed, the weight pulling the string to drop more, this happens usually because the clamp is not tight, or working with higher tension and/or strechy strings.

If the weight does not drop significantly, it's not a big deal. If too much, you need to consider get a better clamp (or adjust it), and re-tension the current string.

3. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

Yes LazyBuddy is right and I have this problem before as well. I think the tension is not consistent for the string that cause the drop of the rod once the string is released from the clamp.

Best to get the tension right for all the strings and you shouldn't see this problem again.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, it's not the tension is not consistent due to the tensioning, as drop weight is consistent pulling and not going to change unless gravity is changed. It's more like the lost of tension playing the trick, due to clamp tightness etc.

5. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Thanks. I will check the clamp. This last string job was a couple of lbs higher than the last.

6. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

Yes, I understand drop weight is the most consistent for all of the machine with virtually no calibration needed. However, I think ryeung might be like me which is a new stringer that FORCE the gripper to grip the string when the rod is at upright position. If you are not doing the same for all strings then tension will be different as the string will have different pull initially.

Anyway, I am still learning and please enlighten me if anything wrong.

7. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

No forcing required to grip the string. Gripper works fine. I am obviously not in the class as lb and sir dink, etc but I have been stringing for a couple of years now. It's just that I try to use the minimum adjustment set on the clamps needed to string at a particular tension. So that probably accounted for the small slippage. It wasn't too serious so I didn't worry about it too much while I finished the string job.
    btw, I tried prestringing a la Sir Dink but the glide clamps were a real hassle with the cross strings getting in the way.

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I see this happen sometimes also.
    I think it is more likely due to use of flying clamps, where the gap in the flying clamp does not match the gap between the 2 strings you are clamping.

i.e. if the strings are close together, putting the flying clamp in forces them apart, stretching them slightly. Then you tension the next string, and when you remove the clamp, the strings move back and a tiny bit of slack is released.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree. That's definitely one of the factors can cause the further drop down. :)