Regarding Repairing Rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by charzord, Oct 29, 2006.

1. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    To be honest, I do not see the point in repairing. I know i'm probably going to be flamed and be labelled a rich kid or some other lame insult, but I'll still say it. When you get into a sport, you are expected to have to pay for it. Hockey equipment costs $1000's of dollars each year, and same goes for other sports as well.

Of course there are sports that costs less, aka swimming, basketball etc. But if you average out the costs including rentals (hundreds of dollars for swimming even for community centers), clothes and gear, most sports average out at around $500 a year? (All canadian dollars....and I'm guestimating).

For me, badminton costs $150 (2 days of gym rental per week including birdies), $50 for strings (I have my own stringing machine), $150 for racket (If i break a racket that year.....which is unlikely). That is about $350 a year...which is ridiculously low compared to other sports.

If you want to repair a racket to play with again, I saw you should nix that idea. To be honest....it is impossible to repair a racket to 100%, not to mention the wear and tear already on the other parts of the racket. A racket is not that expensive, and considering the time you spend with it (6-10 hours a week....520 hours a year), it is a worthy investment to get a brand spanking new one with you can use to its full potential, unlike a repaired one which you are afraid of breakin again, not to mention poor performance due to the repair

Of course...if you want to repair it for sentimental reasons, go on ahead. Then again, why not just hang up your racket on your wall and see it everyday, other than leaving it repaired and old inside your smelly bag? :p

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    nice rant.

i agree; just get a new one [racquet].
    i think most people agree with you on this forum; why do you think youre going to get flamed?

3. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    charzord, I think that the vast majority of not only people on this forum but of all the badminton players in the world, 90% would get a new racket to play with. This does not include the ones as you said that would repair it for sentimental reasons. But flamed, why?

4. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    I'm to used to seeing flames whenever someone posts somethign sensible onto a forum:p

5. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    If you were a student in France ,you want to make competition,training and to play two time a week!!!he have several mp 99 but two of them are slightly broken ,nobody want to restring them for him including the stringer who broke it at 12 o'clock after string job,if by chance you get a friend who can refixe them for 15 euros only ,where is the problem!!!!!
    of course if you are a rich man you can buy one every week,the guy I know have not the money!!!MING from asptt paris

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A bit off topic.

The price for the sport could be greatly varied within different regions. The club fee could be US$25 per visit here in new york city. Therefore, I understand many ppl try to save a bit here and there, just to be able to afford to keep up with it. :eek:

My point is, if you can afford it, then getting a new racket (not necessarily to be the most expensive) is a better solution. If you can't, fix it to a min. playable level is still better than none.

7. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

$25 a night!!!:eek:

That is a crazy price for an evening's badminton. Where is that?

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Welcome to New York... :cool:

With the high cost of living most of the clubs here charge $10+ per drop in sessions, and you need to provide your own feather shuttles. The price of $25 club, at least they provide shuttles. :rolleyes:

Well, it's tough to keep up with badminton in NY area for sure.

9. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Some repairs are worth doing, others such as snapped frames I will agree can never be put completely right. But when I replace a racquet I have in the past bought more than one so the cost can add up (having a repaired spare), especially as I go through spells of breaking racquets.

10. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    usually the repair make it a little more stiffer,but for a back up racket this is not a big deal!!!MING