My story...

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Linus, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    It’s better late than never….

Linus is my real name. I am a 40+, bespectacled, over-weight Singaporean Chinese male (sound familiar? ;):D :p ).

The past
    My first encounter with badminton came when I was a 9 years old. I was then in a typical small government-run primary school in the 70s, where the only sport facility was a cemented open basketball court and the games we played during PE classes were either basketball or volleyball. We had a relief teacher from Indonesia, who couldn’t play either. So he brought along a few wooden rackets and some shuttles in his first PE class with us, and that open a new horizon at least for me.

I continued to play badminton since, but never properly learned or be coached the proper basic skill, as it was not a popular sport in the school and no qualified teacher or facility around to do that. This continued even when I entered Secondary school, which has a multi-purpose hall but with a very low ceiling – not meant for badminton! :eek:

I picked up a lot from observing how people played in the community centres (CC) during the 70s and 80s. I played well among my peers, but mainly relying on my agility and reflexes. Unfortunately, these are things that disappear with age and I regretted now never properly learned the basic like foot work (I thought if I can move up and down the court at ease when I was young and agile, why bother to learn the repetitive footwork which was really boring – how wrong was I! :( )

My love for this sport continued when I started work and served in the Ministry of Defence. I represented my department in annual inter-departmental games and won a number of firsts (for unknown reason, I was pretty good in mixed-double!? :confused: ).

The relationship with badminton took a long break after I got married in 1992 and became a father. My focus and priority suddenly shifted. I spent almost all my non-working time at home with my family and hardly exercise. That is when my weight started to increase exponentially (just to put into perception, when I just married I wore size M t-shirt, but now I have to choose between XL or XXL!:p )

I moved to Hong Kong with my family in 1997 because of work, I have my second child around the same time so badminton was still far off my mind. I even left all my badminton gears back in Singapore, thinking I would never pick them up again. But after a number of years in Hong Kong and as my children growing up and my wife found her own network of friends there, suddenly I found some spare time for myself. I looked around for something to do – coincidentally my company decided to organize a badminton tournament and I found myself once again having to go into a sport shop and purchased a racket, after more than 24 years since I bought my last racket (a Carbonex 7 in 1980).

That feeling of hitting the shuttle crisply and the satisfaction after a good game suddenly all rushing back again. Although my weight (over 90kg) and my lack of basic skill mean I could not move around and cover the court like I used to do, I thoroughly enjoy every minute on the court. I told myself I would not give this up again!:)

The present
    I returned to Singapore early this year and through this wonderful forum :) found a number of fellow members who play regularly near where I live. I am now a regular in Lightsmash’s Wednesday group in CCK Sports Hall, and also played on Monday with my church friends.

Both groups have a good mix of ages and skills that I can spar with. My movement on the court continues to be my weakness but I am glad that at least my weight is under control now and starting to go below 90kg mark.:rolleyes:

After all these years, I still find tremendous enjoyment when playing badminton regardless if I win or lose. My love for this game will never die.:D

Other interesting facts:
    My first racket – Yonex B-4500 back in 1977.
    My favourite racket when I was a teen – the Yonex Cabonex 7, I saved for a long long time to buy it and I cannot forget the feeling when I paid the cash and have my hand on this racket. I still have this racket now.
    My current rackets – I have now 19 rackets in my possession. The most often used are (1) Yonex AT800DEF, (2) SOTX 8A, (3) SOTX 12A.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Great story, Linus. Welcome to BF and welcome back to the game:)! BTW, agility and reflexes doesn't disappear with age. It only disappears when you stop using them;). A friend of mine actually encountered a strong 60 year old player in China who plays almost everyday, he kicked my 31 year old friend's ass in singles with ease:D. BTW, my friend's no newbie either:p.

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Great intro, Linus. Warm welcome to BadmintonForum.

-dave

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That's a lovely story from someone who's in love with the game. Welcome!

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thx for the personal capsule. Welcome to BF:)

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thanks for sharing..and welcome again..

Linus, nice little flashback story you have there...thx for sharing...:cool:
    1 amusing thing i found after reading your intro is the part where you mentioned abt your racket stock, as it went from 2 to 19(incl. your 2 older rackets), all in a span of 24+ yrs. time..hehe;):D :cool:

Anyways, keep up your "new" hobby;) and hope one of these days we can meet and have some side chat..You are in S'pore now, for good, are you??..;) :)

#6 ctjcad, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  7. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the interesting read!:p

8. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Thanks Cappy75, this calls for a lot of discipline and determination to keep oneself fit. As you said, this 60-years old plays "almost everyday" and that would be the key.

Thanks, ctjcad. I hope I am back for good after spending 9 years overseas! It is also the time in my working life that I want some stability. Look forward in meeting you or any other members from elsewhere in Singapore.

Oh actually, majority of the rackets were bought when I picked up the game again. During the long "exile" from badminton, I have not followed the development of equipment, imagine when I stepped in a shop in Hong Kong and found so many different brands and models, it's like a child entering a ice-cream parlour which offered many many flavours - you just want one of everything available! :D :p ;)

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..sure you're welcome, Linus...BTW, have we emailed or PMed before, sorry don't quite remember...:p
    Anyways, your 9 yrs of badminton hibernation wasn't so bad, at least in comparison to me..hehe:p:)
    I was also thinking, since you mentioned that ever since you settled down and had kids, "your weight 'exponentially' grew"; well, since now you're back playing and being active again, and shedding off those pounds, it's quite amazing how its your rackets' turn to grow 'exponentially'(from 2 to 19, esp. since you mentioned you had gotten them during your "recovery" period)....See how wonderfully it works??..haha;) :) :D :cool:

#9 ctjcad, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Welcome to BCBF Linus! :) Good thing that you decide to have another go at badminton again. Old Habits die hard. :) At least badminton is a good habit.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Well, Linus... it doesn't call for grim discipline and fiery determination if you really enjoy what you do:cool:. Actually you would love the 'hardship' imposed upon you and the challenges the game provides:p. Since now you got more time, you should look into getting some lessons from the pros to get the most out of it. Good luck and hopefully we'll hear more inspiring stories from your experience:).

12. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    thanks for sharing this great story

13. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Awesome, the badminton community comes back alive! Anyways, the exercise will be great for you, and your wife might appreciate the results.;)

14. vince_kan

vince_kan Regular Member

Wonderful story Linus, reminds me of my own story of picking badminton up again after 11 years of hiatus from the game.....i can certainly relate to the parts that i quoted from your story....about gaining much weight...i too hit 90kg just 1 year back....now i am also playing the game as much as my time allows me to and trying to maintain around 85kg or less....