should i get a Ti-7 or Ti-10?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by joseph, Aug 6, 2001.

1. joseph

joseph Guest

Can someone help me decide? I'm considering getting either a Ti-7 or a Ti-10, but not sure which to get. I'm more of a finess/control player, and essentially looking for a racquet with better control. My wrist/arm strengh is about average; I must be 4 meters or closer(from the net) to 'consistently' produce unreturnable smashes. I play mostly doubles, and generally rely more on drives, drop shots and half smashes. Should I get Ti-7 or Ti-10? Thanx for all your responses!

2. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    since ur control/finess, go for ti7. its obviously head light which makes for quick maneuvers. ti10 is head heavy and is geared towards smashing...
    the best thing to do is try them both out and see which suits you best

3. Tim

Tim Guest

I own both but just recently got the Ti-10. The Ti-7 I loved. I was able to generate a lot of speed on my smashes and the racquet was still light enough for drives and defense.
    The Ti-10, I found was heavier and slowed me down at first. I wasn't able to adjust to the racquet right away and found myself, behind on a lot of "quick" shots like drives. On the plus side, my smashes had a lot more weight to them. Not as fast (yet), but definitely more weight.
    Given some more time with the Ti-10 and a little more strength, I'm positive my Ti-10 will become a great weapon.
    Try them both, see what you like. But according to your description of style, the Ti-7 would be the best racquet for your needs.

4. joseph

joseph Guest

hey shaun! but according to the yonex ratings, the ti10 has better control than ti7. if i'm a control player, wouldn't i benefit more from a ti10? from a power stand point, i know that powerful smashes from a ti10 requires strengh, but since i'm not too concern with power, wouldn't the extra control be better for me? i'm not sure if i can produce noticeable stronger smashes with the ti10, but certainly not weaker smashes than the ti7. because of my style of play, i rarely have to defend against smashes, so a more head light and maneuverable racquet may not be as advantageous as anticipated. honestly, i'm leaning toward getting a ti10, but afraid i'll make the wrong choice. anyways, thanx for you response!

5. joseph

joseph Guest

hi tim! thanx for you response. what exactly did you mean by "more weight" on your smashes? and i assume faster smashes is exactly what it seem to mean. what's the point of getting more weight on your smashes if the shuttle does travel faster?

6. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Force = Mass x Acceleration .

Assuming equal accelration, that would mean more force with more weight on the head !

7. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Dont rely on yonex power/controll ratings on the site. they arent always true.
    those ratings are from machine tests, and control/power of the racquets will vary from person to person because of factors like body type, strength, speed and technique. the best thing to do is try both.
    The ti7 is by no means a powerless racquet. i owned one for a while and it served me quite well up until it broke :p ti10 as stated by Tim is head heavy and takes a while to get used to the weighting and balance of the racquet.

8. joseph

joseph Guest

hey shaun! is the ti7 more fragile than the ti10? aren't they suppose to be very similar racquets? ultra high modulous graphite, slim shaft and slim frame. only difference i can find is that ti10 is more stiff, which contributes to it's seemingly more heavy head. i seem to have heard that ti7 is more fragile... since i don't have unlimited money to spend on badminton, i might not pick ti7 if it's more noticeably more fragile then ti10. that's partly why i picked mp77 before, cuz it seems quite durable.

9. Tim

Tim Guest

Hey Joseph

I find that people smash differently. Some people have fast smashes...very quick but all it takes is just a little flick and it's back over.
    Other people have heavy smashes, just as fast but effort is required to put it somewhere.
    Gladius explains it well if fewer words...."same acceleration, but with more force"
    Anyone else with an opinion???

10. johny

johny Guest

Momentum Conservation
    P=Mr*Vr1+Ms*Vs1=Mr*Vr2+Ms*Vs2

Mr: mess of the racket
    Vr1: velocity of the racket before hitting
    Vr2: velocity of the racket after hitting
    Ms: mess of the shuttlecock
    Vs1: velocity of the shuttlecock before hitting
    Vs2: velocity of the shuttle cock after hitting

We have: Vs2=Mr/Ms(Vr1-Vr2)+Vs1

Since the dropping shuttlecock speed Vs1 is a very low speed , we can use Vs2=Mr/Ms(Vr1-Vr2), if we consider Vr2 as a low speed too, then we have:

Vs2=Mr/Ms*Vr1

Therefore, if the racket is 10% heavier, with the same swing speed, the speed of a smashed shuttlecock will be 10% faster. But the problem is: You can not reach the same swing speed Vr1 with a heavier racket and perhaps the lose in the racket head velocity will be much more than 10%. (Detailed calculation also shows that if the balance point of the racket move toward head 10% distance, you will have to use 120% effort to generate the same head speed.)

So as my own experience, the heavy head racket is only for two kinds of players: Normal players with low swing speed and strong wrist power, this will help them produce more powerful smash. And professinal players who can still keep the fast swing speed with a heavier head racket. For intermediate players with a high swing speed, heavy head racket will prevent them from generating very high swing speed and slow down their reaction thus reduce their competence.

11. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    joseph, both ti7 and ti10 are fragile, at least that is what is claimed by many people in the review section. its all a matter of how tight you string your stuff, how often u miss hit and if you ever clash with your partner. if you dont string too high, dont miss hit and play very safe with your partner, durability should not be a problem for you...if you get either one in 2u, they will both be somewhat durable.
    the ti10 is not only stiffer than the ti7, but is also more head heavy. there is actually more weight in the head of the ti10 than the ti7. this leads me to believe that the ti10 is stronger in the head since it has more material in there. that also explains why yonex recommends a slightly higher string tension for the ti10 when compared to the ti7. its best to try and demo the racquets first before you buy...
    if you are really concerned about durability and want a good powerful racquet, go for the cab23. i used to have one and loved it to death.

12. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Shaun, why have you been monkeying around with the Iso models instead of just purchasing a real Cab 23?

13. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Brett, i'm not even sure of it myself.....i'm starting to miss regular length ovals...this iso/long stuff isnt my kind of thing...i'll see :p