User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azabaz_ipoh View Post
    and i thought the cute picture for my profile was good enough....*sighs*
    Did you just put it up? I don't remember seeing it. It looks so cute. That will definitely beat AJ and win over all hearts
    Last edited by Birdwood; 01-16-2008 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chris, i think that is because i always believe that philosophy transcends boundaries. there is basic truth about how human beings are in all philosophy. we are all really alike in our most basic emotions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

birdwood, that picture have been there for quite sometime. just that nobody cared to look before all this mystery revealing, name guessing fiasco. hahahahah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

birdwood, that picture have been there for quite sometime. just that nobody cared to look before all this mystery revealing, name guessing fiasco. hahahahah
    On the second thought, was that cute baby picture really yours, not AJ's since you had asked to do just that before Where's our ABCD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    my bad.......
    i pay attention on lips......
    bad drifit.... bad drifit...
    You meant that bad drift blowed Leen's breeze away

Very possible, maybe we can request a hurricane strength one from her next time, especially if it needs to cross the ocean, so no one will ever miss it

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwood View Post
    You meant that bad drift blowed Leen's breeze away

Very possible, maybe we can request a hurricane strength one from her next time, especially if it needs to cross the ocean, so no one will ever miss it
    i am just 200km away from her...... no need hurricane
    this thread is so active now.... chit chatting.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe should send my kisses via pos laju (malaysia's own express courier which literally translates into "fast post")

i dont mind. chit chat keep the lethargic feelling over mundane day to day routine away. chitty chitty bang bang away!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The make up of where most the BC members are from should explain it..

On a more serious note, kind curious about your excellent writing in English. Were you also "English-educated"? I saw it mentioned by a few Masia BCers. How common to be English educated in Msia? I assume you're not a Chinese Malaysia descendent to start with.
    must say i was tv influenced. i love all those english speaking dramas and other programmes on tv since i was really young. all malaysian learn english in school but some perform better than others. i think it depends on whether they use it outside of school. language must be practiced regularly. luckily for me, my mom was a nurse from the era where everybody speaks english (british colonisation) and she reads english newspaper.
    You pointed something out, which is speaking English at home. The ones of "English educated" might not necessarily spoke English at home so their English must have learned at school then.

I can understand that your listening skill was from watching TV programs and your reading came from newspaper. Which left you with writing to work on you own and at school. I would image your writing is still much better than your friends in similar situation
    ...i believe the make up of where most of the BC members are from should explain that English is indeed a major language in M'sia (or at least in that part of Asia, along w/ S'pore and Philippines). Bear in mind, M'sia used to be a colony of England/British, so the language should be atop of their influence. Aside to what azabaz_ipoh (Leen) wrote as her influences, i would assume she probably received some formal English-language education thus it shouldn't surprise many of us that she's English writing-savvy. ..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 01-16-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ...i believe the make up of where most of the BC members are from should explain that English is indeed a major language in M'sia (or at least in that part of Asia, along w/ S'pore and Philippines). Bear in mind, M'sia used to be a colony of England/British, so the language should be atop of their influence. Aside to what azabaz_ipoh (Leen) wrote as her influences, i would assume she probably received some formal English-language education thus it shouldn't surprise many of us that she's English writing-savvy. ..
    Birdwood, Azabar is Malay lah. Her name is malay name.

As to the term, "English-educated", some go to Chinese medium school, where the medium of instruction is all in Mandarin.

All subjects, except language are taught in CHinese. Then in secondary school, government school - language of instruction is in Malay, the national language. Hence the term "Chinese educated". Their English, normally are not so good, unless they learn up after they finish school.
    Nowadays, non-chinese parents also send their children to chinese medium schools, so they know extra language.

Those who are "English educated", go to national schools, where medium of instruction from primary level is in Malay. All subjects are taught in Malay. Recent couple of years, they have some like Maths & Science in English too. Level of English is higher. These ppl, cant read & write in Chinese, even if they are Chinese, but better in English & more western influenced.

The term "English educated " stayed cos in British colonization time, everything was taught in English. So, we didnt change it to "Malay educated".
    Good example is LWW & KKK. KKK said before he cant read & write in Chinese. He went to a school that's good in English ("mubaligh school, they call it, where nuns & priests used to teach in British days).

The main difference is : "Chinese educated" can write & read Chinese, not that good in English, very good in Maths (China system). Values, some follow more China/Taiwan/HK influence, more traditional, listen to Chinese songs.
    Very good example is TBH - he doesnt understand questions posed in English, only Malay & Chinese.

This is more pronounced in those who also go to private Chinese medium schools at secondary level (high school)- all subjects taught in Chinese. They normally further college studies in Taiwan/Spore.

"English educated" good in English & Malay, cannot read & write in Chinese.
    watch more English language shows, think more like Westerner - they listen English songs. All this due to education system

THere's also Tamil medium schools, everything taught in Tamil.

And I give credit to Azabar, not many Msians nowadays, whichever race, can write well in English anymore- standard has dropped. They can speak but writing skill, kaput.

Got understanding??? (Msian broken Eng) If not, Aza, tolong cakap lagi sekali dlm British punya English, he he
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 01-16-2008 at 02:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

during the times of my parents, i believe yes, everybody who went to school usually can speak good english and write good english. nowadays, at least in malaysia, schools in the cities and in big towns can have students that are proficient in english. this is because they use it outside of schools too, in day to day life. and american music and american movies are the staple of these teenagers's language diet. but those from smaller towns, rural villages, tamil schools, chinese schools and religious based schools have students that study english but they are not very proficient. this is because they never use it outside of school and in fact sometimes they don't even use it much IN school. only recently the government made it compulsory for students to learn maths and science in english because when the students further their studies in university, all revision books and research journals are in english. failure to master the language during early years in school made it harder for these students to master the course that they have chosen in university. but at the same time, if all subjects was taught in english, then where does the official language of malaysia stand. so only maths and science are taught in english while the rest is in bahasa malaysia. and kids nowadays are not really into books. except maybe harry potter. hehehehehe

but all in all, almost everybody knows basic english like yes, no, thank you, hello, bye-bye.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Yes, and this seems to apply..^^

..to most British/England colonized countries, esp. in Asia (e.g. S'pore, HK & M'sia)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    i am just 200km away from her...... no need hurricane
    this thread is so active now.... chit chatting.....
    maybe should send my kisses via pos laju (malaysia's own express courier which literally translates into "fast post")

i dont mind. chit chat keep the lethargic feelling over mundane day to day routine away. chitty chitty bang bang away!!!!!
    I did not know drifit was so close to Leen. I would make a personal visit to Ipoh to receive the honor. Courier service is for business, not for someone who is about to be kissed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks to eaglehelang, ctjcad, and Leen for explaining to me. I used to know someone from Masia. Now I'll need to go through your words and do a little research to fully understand. Maybe ask around to see anyone badminton player here knows all the differences. But it's safe to say that the gaps among different schools or among different countries as a mater of fact, are narrowing in the age of internet and globalization

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Advice required: I will be visiting Malaysia

Many thanks to eaglehelang, ctjcad, and Leen for explaining to me. I used to know someone from Masia. Now I'll need to go through your words and do a little research to fully understand. Maybe ask around to see anyone badminton player here knows all the differences.

If you're thinking of visiting Malaysia, I am glad that you are a member of Badminton Central Forum here.

All you've got to do... is to start a thread "Advice required: I will be visiting Malaysia"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    If you're thinking of visiting Malaysia, I am glad that you are a member of Badminton Central Forum here.

All you've got to do... is to start a thread "Advice required: I will be visiting Malaysia"
    Sorry confusing you, "here" I was talking about my local baddy club. But I may need different advice though. I'm not thinking of visiting Masia, rather my retirement in the hills of Ipoh (in my dream for now)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then the hills of ipoh will welcome you when the time comes...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

err....
    so far, only dhl do this
    dhl, we deliver anything..........

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast