wet behind the ears wanting to get better and learn more

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by azabaz_ipoh, Nov 5, 2006.

1. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    Hello everybody. I was here before but did not introduced myself properly.

My name is Leen. From Malaysia. Staying in Ipoh, Perak. 29 years old. Started playing badminton when I was, let's see if I can remember it correctly, maybe around 8 years old. Played with my dad using cheap wooden badminton racquet in front of the house. :p

When I was around 12 or 13, I asked my father for a new racquet since I joined the badminton club in school. He bought me a yonex racquet, it was worth RM30. The racquet was the cheap type, already strung and was not even hanged up. It was just bundled in a box. The shop was in the DBI sports hall. Those who live in Ipoh should know the place. Still standing till now and have always been popular with the badminton players. The shop still there but the owner is different now.

I played all through my school years. Including representating my campus in the intercampus sports competition. Using the cheap racquet my dad bought me all those years and it served me well i suppose. Then I bought a new racquet, a carbonex range, when i got my scholarship money. Dont know anything about it except it is light and i loved it. Cost me RM119 plus including the string.

Never had a badminton bag, never had a badminton shoes, never had any other equipment other than the two racquets.

After university, there was a long gap. I did not play badminton for so long because i had no friends to play with me. It is so hard to find a bunch people who likes to play badminton like you do (especially women cause i know there's a lot of men who loves badminton out there) and willing to fork out money to play in an indoor court. Finally, last year, I found a bunch of girls who want to play badminton and thus we got together and that was the start of my renewed interest in badminton.

What i regret the most is, i never had any formal coaching and i bet my techniques are next to none. Though i know how to make a drop shot, simple smash, cross court stroke and maybe a bit of net play, i always think that my technique must be flawed. I dont even know if my grip is correct. Dont even start on footwork. What I do is just try to imitate what the pro does on tv.

I tried looking for a place to learn badminton properly in Ipoh, but found none (anyone who could show me where to go, i thank you in advance). But unfortunately, i have little money to spare. I wish there's a badminton club I can join and pay monthly fees and get coaching and play time for being a member.

So now i'm playing once a week, going to be twice a week soon, at the St. John Hall in Ipoh and sometimes the DBI hall (because it is hard to rent a court there, first come first serve). And i want to save money to buy a new racquet. But the problem is, I dont know what racquet is suited to my kind of play. I dont even know how i play in fact. Whether it is attack or defense. And i so want to learn all these things, how to play properly, how to use the right techniques, how to buy the right equipment and so on. So here I am. But there's so many threads I dont know where to start. And so, I am asking for help.

:D

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Welcome to BCBF Leen! Nice to have you on board. Feel Free at home.

3. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Hi Leen, welcome to BC. I am pretty sure through BC, you can find some kind BC members from Ipoh that can help you out with your Badminton venture.

4. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    Thank you

Thank you very much ants and badfever. i know i'm gonna love it here. now i am slowly reading the threads. hard to ask questions when you dont know how to ask them properly. :eek: i'll try to get more info. anyways, i hope i'll find someone from ipoh here too. it would be good to finally get proper coaching. thanks again for making me feel welcomed. :)

5. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Hi and welcome!

Im also a new member. I think at first you should do as you just said, use the search function and you will learn alot of new things. Alot of the common beginner questions are frequently asked so you should be able to grasp some knowledge from those threads.

About equipment and coaching, from reading other threads, it seems that your priorities should be getting coaching and a pair of badminton shoes. The choice of the racket when starting out shouldnt matter so much, things like tension is more important.

Also, there are plenty of videos out there that can show you standard footwork and technique.

Hope to hear from you soon

And remember, if you are passionate about this game, nothing can stop you!:p

6. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    Learning to be passionate

Thank you tianjin. As it is, since i read the thread here, i know shoes are important. But since I cant afford a high end shoes, I had to settle for a lesser version. I am going to try it out next week when I get together with my friends for our weekly sessions.

Here are a bunch of pictures showing what equipment i am using now.

people and badminton 009.jpg

people and badminton 010.jpg

people and badminton 019.jpg

people and badminton 020.jpg

people and badminton 021.jpg

7. JasonMichael

JasonMichael Regular Member

IT consultant
    Hi Leen!

Glad to know that you are as passionate about badminton as I am. Hope you are able to make it for the Malaysian Open 2008 where some of the BC members will be gathering at.

Regards,
    Jason.

8. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thanks jason for still posting in this old thread :D. i wish i could be there too. i heard they will even have a badminton session this time. how i wish i could join you guys. :) but alas, this year no budget. perhaps i will get sponsored to go. hahahaha just kidding. but i hope you guys will have a smashing time though, pun intended. :)

and while i am here, i should post pics of my relatively new equipment. namely a new racket and a new pair of shoes added to the old bunch. the rest are still the same ole same ole.

picture of my iso racket.jpg

my mizunos.jpg

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    You have good shoes & racket, Leen

Hey Leen,

You have better shoes and racket than what I've got. :):):)

10. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    hahaha, actually the racket is not so expensive. it is just an ISO75MFLT. the shoes was my real investment. from the info i have gotten here, i realized that good shoes are very very important. and since it will protect my body, namely my legs and feet, i think it is wise to invest on a good pair of shoes. :) whatever money i set aside in the future for badminton, i know a pair of good shoes is first and foremost. strings second and racket last. :D

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

My priorities: Shoes, then Strings, then Rackets

That's exactly what my priorities are......
    1. Shoes
    2. Strings
    3. Rackets

And I have heaps of cheaper rackets. :D:D:D

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well, well..

..i welcome you, once again, azabaz_ipoh(Leen)!:)..Hmm, don't know why i missed your intro, but good to finally read it!!..:cool:

One thing i like about female players is that, they keep their shoes and socks so tidy and clean looking....even the room, too!;):cool:

13. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    hahahaha, actually jason micheal was the one who revived this thread. but people have been so welcoming, the only way you can see me leave is by force. kih kih kih.

indeed i am one of those female players. i am so obsessed with taking care of my shoes that i make sure i never wear it off court and even wipe the soles after the end of every badminton session. i want it to last as long as it could. :D :p;)

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

azabar_ipoh is no longer wet behind her ears

Well, all I can say is... azabar_ipoh is no longer wet behind her ears. :D:D:D

15. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    indeed chris, just slightly damp now. :D :D :D

16. JasonMichael

IT consultant
    Is there some meaning to Azabaz? I dont understand it wor.... hehe

17. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    no double meaning. just saying i am not as wet behind the ears as before. hahahaha. dont go off ramp ok. :p

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I didn't notice that you had posted an introduction here :)
    So, a belated welcome to BC :eek:

It's nice to see a library in a badminton player's home :p
    I suppose they are all books on Better Badminton :D

19. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    thank you oldhand. hahahaha, as a matter of fact (and i am a bit ashamed of this) there is no badminton book at all on the shelves. there's sections for recipe books, magazines (mainly reader's digest), dictionaries, story books, my university text books, atlas, etc etc, but no badminton book. badminton is more hands on and interactive for me thus my favourite hang out place, BC! :)

20. JasonMichael

IT consultant
    What I meant was the meaning to the first part of your nick name "azabaz". understood the below.