Cheers National and Masters Badminton Championships 2006

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Sealman, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  2. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Oh yah, dun forget to bring your own cushion and portable battery fan... :D

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Cushion yes, battery fan may not be necessary as they have installed more ceiling fans in addition to the existing wall fans. Of course they should renovate the SBA Hall to make it more audience friendly, like having proper seats and air-conditioning and raising the distracting hanging court lights to a higher level or totally changing them with ceiling lights.

I also hope to see you there (as well as in Toa Payoh Sports Hall) with your camera as I may not have much time to take pictures. By now you should be more experienced with your 'new' cam. :D

4. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Hello Loh,

Not sure if there's lack of funds or for historical reasons but I had been wondering why don't SBA just rebuild the whole building.

I borrowed my friend's Canon 350D for the Aviva Open 06. Am still undecided whether to buy one since prices have dropped recently.

I was hoping you will participate in the Masters competition. Have not seen you in action before. :)

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh, I thought your 'in action' means taking action pics. :D

I'm too senior and handicapped (both in age and in physique) for the Masters. I'll be clobbered by the young men in no time and will then be out of action for the rest of the time. :D

You should be in action instead. ;)

6. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    sigh I'm 5 months short of the Masters requirements... anyway I'll be slaughtered if I participate :D

7. johnps

johnps Regular Member

Singapore Badminton Hall

You are right. The Singapore Badminton Hall was gazetted for conservation because of its historical significance.

(source : http://www.southeastcdc.org.sg/useful_tips-going_places_in_SE.html)

As such doing any major work on the building may be expensive and difficult as it has to adhere to strict guidelines set out by the authorities.

For example, there is this "3R"s principals for conservation of such buildings or sites, namely, maximum Retention, sensitive Restoration and careful Repair. Total reconstruction goes against accepted international conservation practices.

(source : www.ura.gov.sg)

8. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    johnps, thanks for your explanation and the links.

If the Singapore Badminton Hall was officially opened in 1952, this building is now 54 years old :eek: . Interesting to note that the venue was used for political activities and rock concerts.

off topic, I miss the dear old National Library. Too bad it had to go....

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, I think there is a short blue Heritage writeup board hung on the right hand wall of the entrance.

Many have regretted the senseless destruction of old buildings, particularly those of historical significance to Singapore. Younger generations of Singaporeans will be the ones most affected as some parts of Singapore history will be lost to them.

Similarly, the conservation of rare animals, plants and the enivironment are vital to the continued peaceful existence of mankind. Destroying them may lead to the ultimate destruction of ourselves.

Although a little late, it is at least heartening to see that the Singapaore government is making last-ditch efforts to preserve as many of the historical buildings and rare animal and plant species, like Pulau Ubin's nature reserves, the mangrove swamps, etc.

10. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    masters.

As usual, all the former greats will be playing. There will definitely be fun as same age group are together this time:D . Hope the toilet is cleaner this time.:crying:
    rgds

11. kochels

kochels New Member

Hmm may i ask what time does the competition start?:)

12. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    The draws/timing are not out yet.

13. extremenanopowe

The draw is out now. Enjoy man!
    rgds

14. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  15. extremenanopowe

cheers master.

Am playing in 35 above. No many players leh. 1st round opponent chicken out. Now in Qtr final already. Dunno why this year no tshirt given. Last year have leh...
    rgds:D

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    With the absence of Kendrick Lee, Ronald Susilo should not face too much opposition in taking the National Men's Singles title this year. Last night, he leisurely disposed of youngster Louis Tan Zi Jing 21-13, 21-15 in 20 min, a score which helped Louis to gain some confidence in himself.

His junior teammate, Derek Wong, may offer some resistance but is not expected to create much problems for Ronald. It would be good if Derek could take a game off Ronald!

In the other categories, many of those who receive regular training under the various SBA schemes will likely face one another in the final stages. Those from the clubs with less intensive training will find the pressure too much for them. A look at the results will confirm this trend.

For example, in the MS match last night, Hamon Shen gave a good account of himself but still succumb to Derek Wong 21-12, 21-16 in 20 min. The physical demands were telling on Hamon.

With their pressures over after the Doha Asian Games, Ronald and Li Li could afford to relax in the XD and seemed to enjoy themselves in their match against Khoo Kian Teck and Quek Siao Yen, their current and former national teammates. Ronald and Li Li cruised to a casual 21-13, 21-11 win.

It's good to see more than the usual number of entries for XD. ;)

Some pics on their XD match:

Attached Files:

#16 Loh, Dec 12, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  17. extremenanopowe

cheers

Cool shots. Keep up the good work. All da best to all players. The hall is like a typhoon inside. Many players getting difficulty controlling the shots.
    rgds:D

18. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    was there last night. believe your match was one of the longest for the tournament :)

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh did he play last night? Sorry I wasn't introduced otherwise I would have given him support. Will he play again tonight? Alas, I won't be there but hope to see you guys on Friday and Saturday. ;)

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wayne Kuo Wen versus Tang Kirt Soon

Wayne Kuo is perhaps one of the few non-full time players who impressed in the MS.

Although he had to play in the last of yesterday's MS matches not long after his victorious XD match with Thng Ting Ting in a 3-gamer against Adrian Chua and Karen Yuen, 21-17, 13-21, 21-15 (35m), he still prevailed over Singapore Sports School's Tang Kirt Soon, 21-17, 21-12 (17m).

His XD involvement may have affected his MS pursuit had he and his partner not given a walkover to Ronald Susilo and Li Li for this evening's tie. But for today, Wayne will meet another Singapore Sports School player, Chen Guorui, who is considered better than schoolmate Tang Kirt Soon in my opinion, but for Chen's ocassional erratic form arising from a sudden loss of concentration. Will Chen be able to focus on his play and create an upset over Wayne? Both of them will also be involved in the MD tonight before they meet up for their MS battle.

Here are some pictures of Wayne Kuo (in white) in his match against Tang:

Attached Files:

#20 Loh, Dec 14, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2006