Where is your thumb?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Boney, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    I would have liked to make this a poll but dont know how to set one up.

When doing a low back hand {at or below your shoulder} do you place your thumb behind the grip for added grip/strength ?

I do.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, but this is a crude description. The thumb position, although generally "behind" the grip, varies depending on the situation.

The thumb support is necessary for power and grip stability. On the forehand, this role is fulfilled by the other fingers.

3. eravalo

eravalo Regular Member

When I first took badminton lessons, two and a half years ago, I was told to use the thumb for backhand.

Now that I've taken lessons again from a more experienced coach, he suggested to use the forehand grip for the backhand as well. At first, I had difficulty with this but asI grew in confidence with this technique, I saw that it was the better choice. In the end, it does makes sense as there is little restriction on thr wrist movement.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Note that the "forehand" grip also uses the thumb for backhands, just in a slightly different position.

The full thumb grip, with the thumb directly behind the widest part of the racket grip, inhibits the wrist and arm and is only useful for backhands well in front of your body.

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i've learned from a few individuals a way that incorporate a slight roll of the racquet handle in the fingers in addition allowing free movement of your wrist.
    it works well for most backhand shots including drives and clears...

the small movement with your fingers allow for a little aspect of deception as well, since you can easily look like you're going to drop a shot over the net, but end up driving it at their body, or popping it over their head.

6. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    The thumb I use for power when I have time, and if there's no time, I simply stay with my forehand grip, and I've trained myself well enough (I think) to the point where the power does not change significantly. Furthermore, I feel more comfortable not changing my grip, as it has led to some negative results before, such as: (a) Screwing up and slicing my backhand clear, leading to the clear simply not going far enough and the resulting shot from my opponent is a winning smash. (b) My thumb accidentally (instinctively?) slipped into backhand grip when I was smashing once, so although I scored, I jammed my thumb and dropped my racket from the excruciating pain that ensued.

7. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

In low backhand, when I want to clear or drive, I do put it behind the grip (..)
    When I want to drop, I dont, I just push the racket and I usually don't need more power..

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Darn, I wanted to post something like "right next to my index finger, where else?"
    But ths thread is serious....
    for underhand bachands, drives, and overhead abckhands in front of the body My thumb is square on the grip.
    For overhead backhands behind my body, or if I want to reverse slice an overhead backhand, or crossdrop I palce my thumb on the sidebevel....