Badminton Basics-DVD + Book

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by taneepak, Nov 12, 2006.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This dvd+book on Badminton Basics is available in China and Hong Kong. It is put together by an elite Chinese IBF coach and is very comprehensive despite its title. It sells for a grand retail price of less than US$4 in China and HK$42 in Hong Kong. The 90-page book is in colour with very good illustrations of all the strokes in badminton and how to go through the motions to execute them. The dvd shows the coach and a beginner going through all the strokes and all the footwork, and the contrast in skills of the two actually makes the dvd more useful-on what is a good stroke and what is not a good stroke.
    BTW the reverse slice drop shot is shown as the standard drop shot and the slice drop shot is used only for the forehand cross drop shot.

2. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Could you post a link?

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Sounds good :)

As for the "always reverse slice", I can see why they recommend it. Most of the time in the backhand corner you will be playing around the head, so faking a crosscourt and playing it straight with slice is not that realistic.

I maintain that sliced straight drops from the backhand corner are more deceptive, because the body posture suggests crosscourt. The reverse slice straight is not really deceptive, but most of the time it's the only realistic option.

Also I think most players prefer the feel of the reverse slice.

Nonetheless, when you have loads of time, a sliced straight drop from the backhand corner is the deceptive option.

Note that active deception is different from merely making your shots hard to read. The straight reverse slice (not much slice really) is not actively deceptive, but it is hard to read because you could always send it crosscourt.

Deception is not always necessary, nor even desirable.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You can try to call Shenzhen in China, 'phone no. 0755-26740758. I travel to Shenzhen at least once a month and might pick up about 10 copies of the DVD+Book, which I intend to give to my friends as a gift. For less than US$4 for both the dvd and book it is a steal. It will also be useful as a cross check by my friends against the techniques their coaches teach or omit to teach them. Some of these coaches-I have seen some-are going to be on their toes!
    There is a new release of 15 VCDs "Learn to play badminton" by the China Central Television 5. Bbesport is selling them for US$62.80. I got them in Hong Kong for only US$33. I suspect you can get them in China for about US$20. This is because CCTV5 wants to promote badminton and they would want to sell such "learn to play sports" dvds or vcds, in particular badminton, at cost or below cost.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Re the Basic Badminton dvd+book the elite IBF coach has a name that sounds like Liu Swei Hou in Mandarin. It covers almost everything in badminton, including its history, the rules and laws, court dimensions, racquets, shuttles sizes and actual weight range, lots of IBF's top players' photos, the different types of hand signals umpires, service judge, and linesmen use and what they mean, shoes, socks, shirts, shorts, warmup procedures, how to use different grips, different types of footwork, how to jump smash, all the strokes, how to serve, basic singles, mixed doubles, and doubles strategy, terms of badminton tactics, and lastly on how to prevent and cure the 5 most common badminton injuries-shoulder, elbow, wrist, knee, and ankle.
    The 15pcs VCDs is a full scale TV production by CCTV5 and is a very professionally done.

6. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    is this book available in English, and elsewhere?

im interested 2 get it....

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Ask your local book shop to order it from Shenzhen, China. The dvd+book identification mark or number is ISRC CN-D03-05-0080-0/V.G8. It is in Mandarin only. However, the dvd and the illustrations in the book are descriptively and illustratively very clear, even for non-Chinese, to understand. The retail price in China is only Yuan 29.80. Even if your local book shop adds the surface mail cost and a 100% profit margin, it is still a steal.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The dvd in the dvd+book is 1 hour long. The other 15 pcs of vcd by CCTV5 is a 15 hours complete coaching/training series that a beginer or even an advanced player can benefit. This one does not have any book-it does not need one as the vcds are complete. For example, it teaches even beginners to stand right in front of the doubles service line when receiving a serve, how to change from a "knife-like" pointing racquet to one that is square to the net when hitting all overhead power shots by turning the arm inwards. A similar action is also used when serving a high singles serve. Not surprisingly, it teaches the importance of snapping the wrist in all overhead power shots, with demonstration of of a forearm overhead with pronation but no wrist snap and one with wrist snap to show the difference in the crispness and speed of the shot.
    I would suggest both the dvd+book and the 15pcs vcd from CCTV5, the latter is actually as good as or even better than getting a coach to teach you, because it is complete and I believe it is put together with the cooperation of the Chinese Ministry of Sports.

9. C6Goh

C6Goh Regular Member

Is there anyway to order the 15pcs vcd + books by postal mail?

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

They are available in some Hong Kong book stores for HK$255. You can also get then from bbesport but at about twice the price.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I have just bought CCTV5's new "Badminton-Let the experts take your pulse", in 3 dvds with two experts, former world champion Zhao Jian Hua and a lady elite coach Seow Tze, analysing, coaching, correcting, and advising players on techniques, strokes, footwork, etc. These 3 dvds are quite good. Surprisingly, the lady coach appears to be a better coach than Zhao Jian Hua. Zhao admitted this as much in an exchange of views between the two coaches, telling viewers to follow the lady coach for the proper techniques as Zhao himself is a bit of a wild type. The Hong Kong price is expensive at HK$135 for the 3 dvds. In China they cost about Yuan 90.
    The same lady coach is the coach for the CCTV5's 15xVCDs "Learn to play Badminton". This set is very professional and is in fact a complete course on how to play badminton. I would strongly advise all players to get this set. However, if you cannot sit through 15 hours of watching the VCDs, the 3 dvds featuring Zhao and the lady coach do the same thing but in a very summarized form.
    The other dvd+Book by an elite IBF coach is an even more summarized version, but it at least comes with a book.

12. C6Goh

C6Goh Regular Member

Thanks Taneepak. How much is the CCTV5's 15 x VCDs? How to buy them? Are they sold in Malaysia?

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You can check with your local bookstores. The catalog or ref nos. are :
    1. DVD + Book .....Catalog no. ISRC CN -D03-05-0080-0/V.G8
    2. 15 x VCDs........Catalog no.ISRC CN-A62-02-301-0/V.G4
    3. 2 x DVDs..........Catalog no. ISRC CN-A62-06-0095-0/V.N

All the above are available in Hong Kong. I got them from a book store, Sino-Books Ltd. They are in Mongkok, New Territories, Hong Kong island (Central, Causeway Bay, and Wanchai). Their email is master@tybook.com.hk. The prices in Hong Kong are 40% higher than in China.
    It would be better if you ask your local bookstore in Malaysia to order directly from China. Just give the catalog nos. to them. You may get them cheaper this way as Malaysian book stores do not have such a hefty markup as Hong Kong.