Head heavy racquets need thick grips?!

Discussion in 'Grip' started by jotaro, Nov 12, 2006.

1. jotaro

jotaro Regular Member

Hi,

I'm using AT700(4U G5) racquet currently and when I bought it, the seller already used 3 layers of overgrip on it.(He teared off the original Yonex factory grip)

I was very amazed at 1st that I can hit backcourt easily and satisfied with its performance although it felt kinda heavy. Later that night, I realized the 3 grips and I teared off the latest one because it did make the racquet felt less heavy. But it seems that my naughty hands gave me a lesson few days later as I can't perform as I wanted like previous session. Lesson learned and I replaced back the grip.

But here's the question, does thicker grip actually suitable for head heavy racquets? was it just an imitation of G3 or G4 ? or I just happen to suit on a thick grip? Any answer is appreciated. :eek: Thanks.

p/s: I only use the racquet twice :p

2. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Well, first of all, how big is your hand. A larger grip helps to soften the vibration from the racket and gives a larger area for you hand contact to transfer power so it MIGHT have something to do with your backhand. In contrast, the smaller grip helps with control by allowing faster rotation of the racket head and better feel. The downside to the faster head rotation is that during a back hand your grip is already weaker then a forehand and your trying to get a faster snap motion.

3. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

my AT700 has only a layer of grip... (no overgrips) i dunno, but i hit with more power with those thinner grips...

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Dummey is right about the grip in that the thicker the grip the more it'll inhibit the feel of your shot -- something that's very important in soft midcourt shots and delicate net shots. One should work towards more complex fingerworks as that's the path to greater deception and more effective shot options. Get a good coach to show you the proper techniques so you won't practice and ingrain the wrong methods.

Thicker grip would benefit beginners and intermediates initially by giving them surer grip on the handle. However, unless your hand is really big, smaller grip is the way to go. Even though the change might robbed you of some power initially, practicing drives and doing forearm exercises will make your shots stronger.

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Just be sure to not undergrip your racket. Combine that with a head light (maybe it was heavy, somebody follow up please) racket and high tension can lead to tennis elbow and injury.

6. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

wow... i just figured that my hand is too big or my physique... i'm only 5'7 but i can easily grip a basketball... does it explain why i'm comfortable with thin grips??

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! Undergripping will give you more blisters too:D. BTW, tennis elbows will happen regardless of grip sizes. One need to do regular maintenance on all parts of the body, not just the obvious shoulders, core and legs muscles. Tennis elbow, like its cousin golfer's elbow, is a symptom of overdevelopment or over usage of certain muscles at the expense of the opposing muscles. Certain hand/forearm exercises will take care of them.

Try using a stress ball regularly;).

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I think dummey meant to say that too small grips often lead to clenching. you grip it véry tight, because you feel your racket fly out fo your hands..

but head-heavyness and gripsize don't corralate...I think...I use a head-heavy 2U, and a thin(ish) grip

9. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

i feel that everytime i smash hard...:p

10. Bigman

Bigman Regular Member

Student!
    All my rackets have grip size G3 + 1 Karakal Super PU grip over that. some say i have paws not hands.

11. jotaro

jotaro Regular Member

Thanks for the replies :). I have an average hand size but rather thin fingers. Before I got my AT700, I was using my friend's old proace racquet, a light head with rather thick grip. I was having the same problem which I can't hit backcourt easily as I wish. I considered myself as an intermediate player now since I played badminton daily when I was small till end of elementary school. Then on and off during high school and completely stop during the 1st few years at college. Now I'm back to play badminton in my school and starting to gain back my own skill( I'm like a newbie at 1st lol ;)). Thanks again for the advises and I'll keep the grip layers as it is.

12. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I found that overgrip on top of my 3U G5 AT500 makes it too heavy for defense, and it gets tiring. In fact a long time ago, when I originally got the AT500 and used the overgrip on top of original grip, the racket flew out of my hand once, when i was doing a backhand to. I don't think I've ever had a racket fly out before that...well the AT500 was the most head heavy racket I've ever had. Anyway, I removed the original grip, and just applied a single layer of 1mm overgrip to the wood, and the racket won't fly out of my hand now.

13. jotaro

jotaro Regular Member

I agreed that it makes our defense abit slower compare to light headed racquets. I would like to cope with the tiring part though in order to train myself to get used to it as it's a wonderful racquet which I can perform better on most of my shots ;)

14. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

at700 is really difficult to use in doubles.. only some pros have the ability to use them in doubles... correct me if i'm wrong, nova/butet have used at700 some time before...

15. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Tennis elbow can be caused (indirectly) by too small a grip. Using too small a grip can lead to you holding the handle too tight during shots.

Shock from impacting the shuttle comes down the racquet and into your arm causing micro tears in the muscles and tendons.

Things that can increase the likelihood of tennis elbow include:
    gripping too tightly
    light racquets
    head heavy racquets
    high tension
    mis-timing
    mis-hits
    bad technique
    over use

You can get both tennis elbow and golfers elbow from badminton.
    http://www.tennis-elbow.net/tenniselbow.htm