beggin calgarian to have a standard.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by happy guy, Aug 13, 2001.

1. happy guy

happy guy Guest

i have been playing in several different location in calgary and find it fun to play with many different group of people but also find it very frustating also. what is frustrating to me is the different speed of the mavis 300 people prefer. as i memtion before, player should ask the mavis 300 provider premission before altering the speed of the shuttle but no one does. they think their prefer speed is same as everyone else, so they think they're doing other a favor when they alter the speed of the new 'mavis 300'. what bother me is some people try to simulate the speed and flight pathern of the 'mavis 300' to a feather shuttle, it is not going to happen...it is like simulating a toyota MR2 to drive like a ferrari, not going to happen. for all the people who like to alter the speed of a new mavis 300, please dear god, stop! only alter the speed of a new shuttle when all four players agree to it or if you supply the shuttle, than it is your right. just play the speed the manufacturer intend you to play, that speed is very consistence because yonex test all their shuttle before shipping it.

let me share a few incident with you about my problem. one time i was done warming up with my partner and ready to play. we use our oppenent shuttle, and i find it too slow, so i grab a new mavis 300 to play with. without my regard or premission, my opponent take my new mavis 300 alter 20%-30% slower, what the point of me using a brand new mavis 300, mind wells use the old one? another time, i play over 4 games with this mavis 300, it is badly damage and it is too fast, so i grab a new mavis 300 and again without my permision my opponet said the new mavis 300 is too slow, squeeze my shuttle to make it 10%15% faster. so please calgarian badminton players, DO NOT alter the speed of a new mavis 300 because some of you find it too fast but other find it too slow. thanks
    for listening from the 'happy guy', AKA the 'frustrate guy'.

ps. there is another poster using 'fustrate(D) guy' name, so i don't want to confuse myself and some of you, so i'm changing my forum name to the 'happy guy'.

2. Jeff L

Jeff L Guest

wow, intresting, i never knew you can alter speeds of the shuttles (nylon)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    like i said b4, calgarians are great fiddlers, fiddling with badminton shuttlecock that is :lol:

4. J

J Guest

It puzzles me that most people in Alberta use green cap (slow) birdies and most people in Toronto use blue cap (medium) birdies.
    Anyone knows why?

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Hi Vince!
    yes you're right, your opponent shouldn't have continued to mess with the shuttle...
    that's why he beat you during those few games. :p

If that's the case before I place my bet, I'll make sure you guys don't adjust the shuttle before play, then I can bet on you to win the 7x5 match. :lol:

Also for the person who asked about the shuttle speeds.

Different cities, are at different altitudes above, and or below sea level.

For those places with really humid climates it calls for a faster shuttle speed.
    Those with dry conditions such as those in Calgary call for a slower shuttle.

HAVE YOU TRIED USING A GREEN STRIPE IN TORONTO????? LOL
    Give me a break!!! that's like watching everything in slow motion!!!

Also have those of you in Calgary tried using a red stripe there???
    It's like a bullet!!!

Stick to using feather folks.
    It's the only way to play.

6. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    ummm dood, u can make an MR2 handle like a Ferrari :sad:
    they are both midengine cars...you just need to get some nice coilovers and adjust the dampening and spring rate as you please...also if you spend even more money, you will be able to adjust chamber(or was it camber? :sad:) as well!!
    and tire sizes, thats easy to do...get a new set of rims...

7. Calvin

Calvin Guest

What a showoff Shaun!

8. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    lol whos calvin!

9. happy guy

happy guy Guest

sorry, don't know why. but many player in calgary said the green cap (slow) is too fast, go figure. could the almosphere in toronto be denser than the atmosphere of dry calgary? sure like to try out the blue and red to see how much in speed differences.

10. happy guy

happy guy Guest

yes, i'm from calgary but that's all you ever know...for now. you can guess all you want, i will never give any more hints to reveal my identity. and yes i lost because my racket is cracked or the shuttle flight pathern is bad, it is never my skill. doh i give you another hints.

11. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    Happy guy you just got busted.I know who you are,if you never told me you chatted in this forum i whould have never known it was you and plus i got your identity from another that chats in the forum HAHAHA

12. Frank

Frank Guest

shouldn't you test the shuttle(be it feather or plastic) by hitting it from the base line and see where it lands to find out if it's fast or slow?

13. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    :lol:
    You know I'm not guessing, but that's ok, nobody else will know who you are don't worry.
    they're all far away anyways so it wont matter.
    it's not like Allen posts or reads any of this anyway.
    but you were right... those guys keep fidgeting with the nylon shuttles too much.
    Just switch to feather shuttles.
    You'll still beat them... I don't doubt your skill, just sometimes you get jittery when you play him, and he plays on that to take advantage of you.

14. pa player

pa player Guest

Toyota Supra beats Ferrari

that's true - see Fast and the Furious
    modified Toyota Supra kicks ass..beats ferrari

15. Bad Man

Bad Man Guest

IMO, everyone wants to play with feather. Butthe budget
    is the main obstacle.

16. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    The price of two tubes of nylon is more than one tube a feather shuttle and feadthers come in tubes of 12.

17. happy guy

happy guy Guest

i think that test is too ambiguous, let me give you an example. one time my opponent ask me if i have a new mavis 300, i said sure but please don't modifie it. then he did the baseline test, and blast the shuttle over 2 feet from the mark which indicate too fast. i than test it myself, take a normal swing and the shuttle landed 2 feet short. i think the speed of the new mavis 300 is perfect, so to get a compromise from my opponent, i said the shuttle is too slow, do you want me to sped it up or leave it as it is? so we ended up not changing it. trust me, when the player think the shuttle is too fast, they take MORE then a normal swing when doing the baseline test to prove their point, and when they think the shuttle is too slow, they take LESS than a normal swing on the same test. that test is only legitimate if is done by a official or the 3rd parties....not the player involve.

i'm curious, do you guys in calgary notice that older player (over 45), or less skillful player who play in a competitive match tend to slow down the shuttle to a halt? just my observation.

18. happy guy

happy guy Guest

what am i being charge with?

yeah you got me. cooler is right, kelvin talks too much. dam it, now i have to change my forum name again.

19. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    Re: what am i being charge with?

I think i'll ba able to tell if it's you V

20. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Re: what am i being charge with?

As will I!...mr. MR2 cant drive like a ferrari!