Knee blow-out as a result of badminton?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thefinnatic, Nov 13, 2006.

1. thefinnatic

thefinnatic New Member

Hi all,

I saw this video of tennis player Mary Pierce blowing out her left knee during play. Do any of you know of anyone having this happen to him/her while playing badminton. We all know that direction changes are much more aggressive in badminton as compared to tennis. I'm kinda scared to blow my knee(s) out now!

Warning! May make you sick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LszGCqa1rXw

2. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

A couple, but not nearly as often as what I see on soccer fields, though.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    If there is footage of Michael Owen injuring his knee at the Football WC2006 then that looks much worse than that.

IMO actually there is less chance in Badminton since you have more define footwork patterns, and if the movements are executed properly then your joints should bend naturally. If you point your toe straight or slightly outwards when lunging forwards or sideways, then you should be fine.

In tennis the movement is much more side to side and random, where there joints are being pushed against their natural bend. Badminton is much more organised in movement patterns.

4. grEgOr

grEgOr Regular Member

well yea, i tore my cruciate ligament (common shortform is called ACL) while playing badminton about 2 years ago...i was hitting an overhead smash and landed on my left knee...heard a small "clicking" sound before i fell down on the court...was not a nice experience...
    this kinda injury normally requires operation to fix the tore ligament, cause it cant grow back by itself...however i only had my operation in February this year...at that time, the doctor said it was not necessary for an operation, since i'm not a professional player who earns money playing badminton..
    theoretically i'm not supposed to play badminton (or other similar sports like football) for a year, but i've started slowly 4 months after my operation, but of course with a special knee bandage on my knee....playing quite actively again right now, 2 times a week, but of course, i dont go for imposibble shots anymore...just play safe.....:)

5. thefinnatic

thefinnatic New Member

Oh man that must have hurt! I've heard people say that you can actually hear someone snap their ligament! OUCH!!!:crying:

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Snapping achilles Tendons is also bad. One of my friends snapped whilst playing cricket (in open) and other players heard it, sounded like a twig snapping.

Sometimes the achilles is placed under so much pressure instead of the tendon snapping, the stress can break the bone!:eek:

7. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

i'm really worry too cause i think my smashing technique is wrong. I always land on the left leg everytime during jump smash.

Now, when i'm sitting, there is some minor strain/pain occationally at the knee of my left leg. I need to learn really good footwork.

8. terror

terror Regular Member

well at least u've got sports related injuries. whereas ive got problems with my joints right from the start. joints are creaky whenever there is stress on them. and i aint even in my 20s. sucks doesnt it

9. morewood

morewood Regular Member

If you think thats bad try this;
    Video Nasty (dont look if your squeemish)

As for knee injuries in badminton I havent seen anyone "do a mary" on court.

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    it happens in basketball. i watched a documentary about it in discovery chn. haven't heard of anyone blowing the knee in badminton but i admit the clips were disturbing. lol

11. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Regular Member

Hmmm... In the AE2006 finals LD vs LHI, LD landed on his feet incorrectly after his trademark jump smash and that looked painful. But there was no serious injury as he went on to win the game and indeed the tournament. But it does show that it CAN happen in badminton...

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I remembered an English footballer had his knee busted due to a hard tackle. He was Crying when he was carried away.
    We have to take care of our knees. Please don't take things for granted when you have knee problem and think that you are strong and the knees can hold up.

I have a friend who have alot of knee problems. He loves to play badminton. After all the advice to have his knee treated or do what ever nessesary to take care of it... he just doesnt want to listen. He think he is strong. He is good in badminton too.. until one day... just a simple move.. his knees collapsed. There goes his badminton "career". My advice is take care of your body and your health. Don't take things for granted.