MP-100 --->100% wrist player ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ARCH4NGEL, Aug 14, 2001.

1. ARCH4NGEL

ARCH4NGEL Guest

Is this racket really for wrist player? Cause i tried my new ones yesterday and when i use my arms it's hurts me and there's no powerfull smash. but accidentally when i used my wrist (even it's not good enough) a powerful smash came out. What do you think guys?

2. johny

johny Guest

Only the professional players with both strong arm and strong wrist can get the most out of this racket.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Personal preference

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree. depends on your skill and how easily you can adapt to different rackets.

5. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Arch... ,

think you may have strung at a tension which is unsuitable for you( as in too high ). I tried 24-25 lbs once and I really, really hurt my arm and I've not fully recovered since. I've since gone back to 22-23 lbs and it does not hurt anymore. Unless of course I mishit bigtime especially with my backhand.

I'm using BG-85 on the racket. Frankly, I don't know why, I don't think my smashes are great actually, and it doesn't sound intimidating either ( no sonic boom or anything of the sort ..) . But on the rare occasions when I use it to play with my colleagues especially, they find it very difficult to take my smashes. It didn't feel like much, neither did it sound like much either, but well, it seemed WAY FASSSTtttttt...... by the way they had difficulty receivig it. Maybe that's why people are raving about its 'AWESOME' power?

I'm not so certain myself, but clears and pushes as well as drives seem so much easier. But for smashes? It didn't sound as fantastic as it did with my Ti-10 nor my Carbonex 25, which I normally use to play with my colleagues. These guys are pretty much 'old-school' players who think of the MP-100 as something more of a flashy toy rather than anything really substantial as a 'weapon'... Which is why I keep to something more modest looking when playing with them.

Try bringing the tension down 1-2 lbs and you'll probably be more comfortable with it. And your arm won't hurt that badly anymore. And yes, like I mentioned in my review on this racket, its important that you have a certain level of competance in your wrist control and strength before you try wielding it. Otherwise you'll never realise the what this racket is really capable of ....

And think its a piece of crap when its not .....

6. ARCH4NGEL

ARCH4NGEL Guest

Thank's gladius:) i usually use AB 900 with BG-66 and strung it at 21 and i can smash or clear from the backyard without difficulties but when i use this racket (mp-100)for the first time, i can't use my arms at all and my partner too. He said it hurts his arm and then I try use wrist (i'm not wrist player) and somehow from the middle court my smash comes out and faster than when i use my arm. I try to use it for clear but won't work and my arm hurt again:( can u tell me how to clear use wrist and little arm movement? thank you:)

7. George

George Guest

If you got weak arms and wrists then you shouldn't be using MP100. I have no problems with using just arm. I do work on weights and have no problem with MP100. If you want a strong backhand, use BG75Ti. Smashes and backhands are very powerful but no control on other shots. My friends have used it and they have arm soreness also. Practice on your backhand and bulk up.

8. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Wrist ...

Hmm ... I haven't seen you play myself so I can't say what's wrong with your technique really. Its quite hard to describe how I do it also, but I don't have really big arms anyway. Though I can do a pretty decent backhand clear as well as some backhand tricks, I would say it has come with lots of practice rather than because I have the wrist and arm power. I weigh 67kg and I'm 1.75m tall, so how big can I be ??

I personally like the racket as it suits my preferred style of playing the game where I use a lot of my wrist work to play some 'fancy' stuff once the opportunity arises. So maybe that's why it fits me rather naturally. But in any case, if you describe using your arm to generate the power that you need, then obviously something is very wrong !

You see, to generate power, what you need to do is to generate a lot head speed in the racket frame. Rather than swing your arm wildly to do so, the correct way is to use you arm to swing, you forearm to add to that and you wrist to add that final 'whipping' action thus generate great racket speed. This way, you don't need to throw yourself at the shuttle to slam it down. You just need to get yourslef in good postion and use the natural momentum of the combined 'whipping' action of your arm, forearm and wrist to splat the shuttle. It takes lots of practice to get it right. I cannot do it half the time myself. But when it does, .... Hoohoo ... !! "Boomm!!!!! " the shuttle just blasts away even though I'm not using a great deal of force( About 80%) on it. Its especially resounding when I use the Ti-10. But the shuttle seems to be just as if not faster on the MP-100 though you don't hear the sound.

It may be that your wrist is a little 'stiff' as some people may not realise. Or your forearm lacks strength? It does not require great strength to wield the racket if your technique is not too far off the correct one. But its essential that you forearm isn't too 'soft' nor your wrst too stiff . Try loosening up your wrist a little when you warm up by whipping your racket around like you would with say a sword or a baton. Do it for a few minutes. And try using handgrips to train your forearm a little.

My guess is that you're locking your wrist when you hit hard? That is so fundamentally wrong. That's a guess, but you may be doing it and you don't realise it. If not, I don't see why you end up using your arm only ...