User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Besides the VF series,what other types

    are your personal recommendations for a novice badminton player here starting off with a basic racket?

    Been using a really heavy wilson smasher bought like only 9 bucks , and its really straining on me, sometimes i even pull a muscle.

    I've been considering the VF series, since they seem quite affordable as well..

    But i'll consider any other types as well

    Am in singapore, so any places recommended for buying rackets? or even some recommendations of rackets for me? Thanks alot

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Read that the yonex rackets aren't really recommended by most people, so what are the other choices i have in hand ?


    Thanks alot..

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i've tried a 95VF, 96VF, and a 90VF slim at one point or another.
    all three of them wre rather flexible and easy/forgiving to use.

    theres nothing wrong with them and i'd say they're great for beginners/novice/casual players.

    the problem with those three is that they're old.

    the VF series used to have a few decent racquets, but as i've said, that was long ago. the newer VF series racquets however are usually half aluminum/graphite racquets, and i wouldn't suggest those to anyone intending on playing to get better. they're good for warmup/beater/lending purposes however.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong/Singapore/Shanghai
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smellybeans
    Read that the yonex rackets aren't really recommended by most people, so what are the other choices i have in hand ?
    Thanks alot..
    I dont think that's what they meant. The usual advise is that if you want to spend say within SGD100 for a starting racket, rather getting the mid and lower end of Yonex rackets, one might be better off getting the higher end of the other brands. But it is all down to personal preference and choice of brands.

    I've been to a shop which I frequent visited and saw a couple shopping a racket for their teenage son, who just started playing badminton. Despite the shop owner's recommendation on other brands which to me are reasonable choices, the couple insisted on Yonex and nothing else although their budget can only get them to lower end of Yonex ranges.

    Donot get me wrong, the Yonex lower ranges are also playable rackets. It is more of the question of if one prefers to pay more for the brand names.

    If you are truely looking for a starter racket, then really there are tons of rackets out there to choose from, the key consideration will be your budget and if you are open to other lesser-known brands.

    I would also suggest donot go to the major chain stores to get the rackets as they usually sell them as premium, but goes to the local sports shops in Queesway, Bras Basah, Sembawang etc. as there are more choices and the prices are more reasonable. Some shop owners may even provide recommedation base on your budget.

    You can go to the "Market Place" forum and there are threads there recommending some of the shops that local badminton enthusiates go to.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle
    i've tried a 95VF, 96VF, and a 90VF slim at one point or another.
    all three of them wre rather flexible and easy/forgiving to use.

    theres nothing wrong with them and i'd say they're great for beginners/novice/casual players.

    the problem with those three is that they're old.

    the VF series used to have a few decent racquets, but as i've said, that was long ago. the newer VF series racquets however are usually half aluminum/graphite racquets, and i wouldn't suggest those to anyone intending on playing to get better. they're good for warmup/beater/lending purposes however.
    I see.
    Thanks for the reply

    Maybe i will try the lesser known brands for a larger selection.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Linus
    I dont think that's what they meant. The usual advise is that if you want to spend say within SGD100 for a starting racket, rather getting the mid and lower end of Yonex rackets, one might be better off getting the higher end of the other brands. But it is all down to personal preference and choice of brands.

    I've been to a shop which I frequent visited and saw a couple shopping a racket for their teenage son, who just started playing badminton. Despite the shop owner's recommendation on other brands which to me are reasonable choices, the couple insisted on Yonex and nothing else although their budget can only get them to lower end of Yonex ranges.

    Donot get me wrong, the Yonex lower ranges are also playable rackets. It is more of the question of if one prefers to pay more for the brand names.

    If you are truely looking for a starter racket, then really there are tons of rackets out there to choose from, the key consideration will be your budget and if you are open to other lesser-known brands.

    I would also suggest donot go to the major chain stores to get the rackets as they usually sell them as premium, but goes to the local sports shops in Queesway, Bras Basah, Sembawang etc. as there are more choices and the prices are more reasonable. Some shop owners may even provide recommedation base on your budget.

    You can go to the "Market Place" forum and there are threads there recommending some of the shops that local badminton enthusiates go to.
    I don't really mind going for lesser known brands actually.
    What matters most is the priceerformance ratio & most of all, its much more affordable than yonex low/mid range rackets.

    Could you maybe recommend some of them to me? as i am clueless as to where to start from.
    May most probably be making my way down to queensway, any shops that you personally recommend? thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Different types of the same racket
    By Lindanftw in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 10
    : 12-05-2010, 11:17 AM
  2. coding types..
    By Daisuke in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 11
    : 05-18-2008, 09:42 PM
  3. Types of Grommets
    By david14700 in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 9
    : 05-11-2006, 06:44 AM
  4. Types of Shots
    By anon. in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 03-16-2006, 11:43 PM
  5. 2 Types of Cab
    By Byro-Nenium in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 3
    : 01-17-2002, 09:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •