Asian Games - LEE CHONG WEI is fine with underdog tag

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by Wildstone, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

KUALA LUMPUR: The underdog tag will suit national singles badminton player Lee Chong Wei just fine as he steps up preparation for the Doha Asian Games next month.
    The National Sports Council (NSC) are only projecting a three-silver and two-bronze medal haul from the badminton team.
    The silvers are expected to come from Chong Wei, the men’s doubles pair of Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui and the men’s team.
    Chong Wei, who will lead Malaysia’s challenge to end a 36-year gold drought in Asiad badminton, said that he was not disappointed to be rated as only good for silver based on his ranking as world number two behind China’s Lin Dan.
    “It is a relief that the pressure on me this time is not as big as it was for the World Championships in Madrid (in September),” he said.
    “Then I was the world number one and expectations were very high on me to win the title. The situation is a lot better this time and I am comfortable with it.
    “What is most important is that I prepare as well as possible before I leave for Doha next weekend.”
    In the World Championships, Chong Wei lost his proud unbeaten record to Bao Chunlai, losing to the Chinese in the quarter-finals.
    The 24-year-old Penangite said that his personal mission to bag the Asiad gold has not changed even though the NSC had lowered the expectations.
    The standard and quality of the Asian Games competition is ranked third behind the World Championships and Olympics. And a silver in the singles can be considered an impressive effort.
    Punch Gunalan was the last Malaysian men’s singles gold medallist in the Asian Games – in Bangkok in 1970. Since then, no Malaysian has even made it to the final.
    “It is important to treat everyone with respect because anything can happen in a 21-point game. I do not want to pressure myself but I will try by best to qualify for the final,” said Chong Wei.
    The draw for the events will be released on Saturday. The Nov 9 world rankings will determine the seedings and Chong Wei, as the second seed, will not meet Lin Dan until the final.
    Chong Wei should have third seeded Chunlai, who was the runner-up to Lin Dan at the World Championships, in his half of the draw.
    A country can only have two entries in each individual event and their players are placed in different halves of the draw. Mohd Hafiz Hashim is the second Malaysian for the men’s singles competition.
    “I should be facing Chunlai in the semi-finals. The interesting thing is to see which half Taufik (Hidayat of Indonesia) is drawn as he is unseeded,” said Chong Wei.
    Among his rivals in the Doha Asiad, Chong Wei has reason to be wary of Lin Dan and 2004 Athens Olympics champion Taufik.
    Chong Wei has not beaten Lin Dan and Taufik outside Malaysia. His only victory over Taufik was achieved en route to winning the Malaysian Open title last year. He beat Lin Dan for the second time in his career to retain the title in June.

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2006/11/16/sports/16034271&sec=sports

2. tbleong

tbleong Regular Member

LCW Boleh!! he should do something on Doha after he didt won in so many touraament!

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

My prediction, whether it hurts you or not :

LCW will close the year on a high with a big win over LD in the Asiad Games.

For once, he is ready to oblige his fans with a big effort and no one is going to deny him of this.

Another biggie will be the KK/TBH doubles pair -- they are 'zinging' with so much enthusiam and confidence, it will be hard to deny them the title also. The pair is understandably working to correct their past mistakes and are heard to be working very well together.

But if you think you have heard enough of what was said above before, then feel free to do so coz if my prediction comes thru, you will remember this thread from me telling you so.:D

4. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    I personally think that Lee Chong Wei can win the gold medal, if he beats the other Chinese players and not focus so much on beating Lin Dan, like the WC, until he "forgets" the other players... He has the ability to go on and win it, no reason why not...

As for the men's doubles, i think Fairuzizan/Woon Fui might just edge it due to their (slightly) longer experinece of playing together in big tournaments, then Koo/Tan...

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's good situation for LCW to reach high goal in Doha, disadvantage of course to LD w/heavy-burden for many predicates that stick on him that resulted by his fully successful along this year. Both of top two are obviously never expect to face INA's fave TH until last round.

Considering TH's WR at #12 per 09-Nov/06, I guess he will fill 5/8 seeded position. But must be patient to know : Is TH grouping w/ LD in Top-half or join LCW at Bottom-half?

With the limitation of DAGOC (only 2 shuttlers from each participant-country) probably the MS seeded list should be :
    - Top Seed -- LD (CHN-1)
    - 2nd Seed -- LCW (MAS-1)
    - 3/4 seed -- BCL (CHN-2) & Lee Hyun-Il (KOR-1)
    - 5/8 seed -- Hafiz (MAS-2) ; Boonsak (THA-1) ; TH (INA-1) and
    Ng Wei (HKG-1)
    - 9/16 seed -- ParkSH/ShonSM (KOR-2)
    Simon (INA-2) ; Poompat (THA-2) ; A.Chetan (IND-1)
    ChanYK (HKG-2) ; Kendrick Lee (SIN-1) ; Shoji Sato (JPN-1)
    and Ronald Susilo (SIN-2)

6. indra

indra Regular Member

I prefer TH to meet LD in QF, closing the door for LD to win a medal....:D
    Then TH to meet Bao and meet LCW in the Final....

Under that schenario, which I think very likely, yes...BAM has successfully achieved its target...:D

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I hope all his preparation pays off. I'd love to see LCW win a medal whatever the colour :).

8. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Boy.. you like to see TH return home empty handed so early...:eek::p

From recent result, LD has the advantage.
    From the present situation, LD is in better shape and mentally stronger than almost every other MS player. He also gets to train with some of the best MS players day in and day out. Who does TH gets to practice with... Soni, Simon... are they even in the same level??? More like TH training them than TH training WITH them...:rolleyes::p

9. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    LCW has a good chance to earn a medal... whatever the colour it may be... unless he has to play TH early, then it maybe more of a challenge. However if he gets by TH, then Bao should not be too difficult unless Bao improves alot and play to his very best... or else I still see LCW as the better player. Then it's Lin Dan in the final... the odds favor Lin Dan no matter how you see it because at the moment Lin Dan has proven that he is above the rest with his results this year.:p

The main challenge remains that LCW has nobody close to his level to train with... there is just no challenge and nobody to push him to the next level within Malaysia. Just like TH, LCW can train Hafiz, KBH... but he can't TRAIN WITH Hafiz, KBH and the others... just different skill level.

#9 bananaboy, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  10. indra

indra Regular Member

He...he..he.. you are underestimating my golden boy TH....
    TH practices with whom???? Haven't you heard that TH is practicing with me recently ??:D ...LD has had the advantage over TH recently because either Taufik is sick, has just recovered from his injury or is in the process of recovering....

11. nwy5633

nwy5633 Regular Member

Student
    yaya...
    LD cannot be invisible all the year...
    he had got wat he deserved for 2006...
    now is TH & LCW turn to get their rewards...
    haha...

12. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Tell that to roger federer too.

13. Ethan

Ethan Regular Member

So in the end, the conclusion is the winner will be LD, LCW and TH. For me I rate their chances in that order too! But a lot has to depend on where TH is, whether the top or bottom of the half. My opinion is base on the form of this whole year and the results against probable opponents in their path.

14. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    LCW is humble, but Im sure he will play well even if he dont win gold he should get bronze or silver, he is a good palyer after all, that should surprise those that label him underdog

15. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Lee Hyun Il will be a tough opponent for TH, since Lee defeated TH 3 times in a row this year. However LHI's record against the others like LCW, LD,Bao is just not impressive at all.

16. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei has a first round bye and to meet Shoji Sato in the second round. In the quarterfinal, LCW will be ready to beat Boonsak for the fifth time maybe in this year and to meet the winner between Taufik and BCL.

17. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Good luck Chong Wei

Lee Chong Wei has a decent draw, his challenge will happen in QF facing Boonsak which he shall have no problem to overcome follow by the winner of Bao vs Taufik. If Lee Chong Wei play his usual game and overcome his jitter then I think he should be able to face Lin Dan in the Final. Lets hope Lee Chong Wei can do better than Yong Hock Kin winning better than bronze

18. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    I hope LCW will play Taufik even though Taufik has beaten world 2nd seed serveral times, but I think the odds to win against Taufik is higher than winning BCL..

19. indra

indra Regular Member

LHI's recent victories over TH (3 times) are due to TH's serious injury.:D

20. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Only losers will use injury as an excuse... if you are hurt so badly, stay home.:mad:

Peter Gade recovered from his surgery in the past, and never once did he use it as his excuse for not doing well soon after the surgery.:cool: