help me guys please

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yy_ling, Nov 16, 2006.

1. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    I used to play with converse school shoes, and i felt that i didnt have much of a problem, since i moved pretty fast around the court. Soon I bought a pair of badminton shoes, its more comfortable than my school shoes and I dont feel the ache at my ankles since I changed shoes. BUT what is going on?!?!?! I start to move around much more slowly, I feel as if I forgot my footwork, the shoes comfort is the only thing that is positive but I can move faster in CONVERSE shoes?!?!

Can anyone tell me whats going on. Im really frustrated cause my speed decreased after getting the proper shoes

2. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    You're just not used to them yet, I suspect. When I first got my badminton shoes, they felt slippery and I wasn't moving around as well. As time went on, I got used to them and they were no longer a problem, and were way better than my regulars. Patience is my answer.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1st, make sure the shoe size is right. 2nd, it takes a while for the "break in" period.

4. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Yes, it just takes time to adapt to a new style of footwear. Converse trainers will have a very different feel from badminton trainers and so you just need to get used to them. The Converse probably had thinner soles (hence the ankle problems) so you just need to develop a 'feel' through the new thicker soles

have you ever played football in studs? First time I put on a pair of studs when I was a kid I just couldn't understand how people could run in them but over time you get used to them. Same with runners spikes etc

5. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    It's true, every time I purchase a different make/model of trainers I find that I'm rubbish at first, really slow about the court, feel heavy footed etc, and I usually want to throw them away and carry on using my old trainers. :(

But after a couple of wears I find I get used to them and everything goes back to normal, or better.

Give them more time, I'm sure once you get used to them you'll be fine. :)

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Do you mean canvas school shoes? The white, soft clothe kind?

If it's school shoes, anything like our Malaysian ones, then you probably could slide around the court. Perhaps now with your badminton shoes you find that you can no longer just slide towards the shuttle, but you actually need to lift your foot since it's a flat rubber surface..

I move faster on parquet flooring compared to a rubberised court.. because parquet flooring has less grip, thus gives a little room for sliding. Those who aren't use to rubber courts sometimes find themselves fall. Of course, a little more practice on rubber courts and I'm moving as usual. My usual slow footwork. =P

Don't lose heart with your shoes, just get used to them. :)

7. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Hi Joanne,

Converse is a make of trainer. (I used to have some myself)
    They make lots of "baseball" trainers as well as ordinary ones so he probably means these.

By the way, I like your website. It was nice to see all your pictures. :)
    I will go back at some point and put an entry in your guest book. ;)

Alaric

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

I thought Converse is a brand..:eek:

And I thought yy_ling is a girl.. =D Sorry if I was mistaken.. I just saw the 'ling' and assumed..

Thanks. But I'm positive I took the link off my profile already.. The pictures are ancient. =D

9. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    i dont slide around the court even when in canvas school shoes, but i seem to move faster than in badminton shoes

and im not a girl, ling is my surname

10. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Oh sorry about that, my mistake.:)

I don't mean just sliding around.. maybe sometimes when you are half a step away from the shuttle you just instinctively slide your racquet leg closer.. if that's not the case then you just need time to get used to those shoes.. From the start of your thread to today you still find yourself slower on court with your badminton shoes?

11. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Eh, yeah, sliding can be helpful sometimes, I wish in some cases that I could slide, but in general, it's definitely not good. A lot of times, I was really glad that I didn't slide, 'cause I needed to get back from a very committed lunge to get back for a clear, and if I didn't have the gummy bottoms of my badminton shoes, I'd have been in trouble.

Furthermore, badminton shoes provide a lot more support for your ankles, so you won't twist them as easily, and they provide a cushion for your jumps (which I believe should occur quite often). Wait it out for a while longer, and if after a few weeks, you still can't get the feel of it, then switch.

Also, I hate when people judge the gender of someone by their surname. Ling isn't really a first name, I think. Is it?

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

If you didn't have the 'gummy bottoms' of your badminton shoe you'd probably be flat on your stomach and scrambling up to retrieve the clear when it near touched the court floor.

Hence, the usefulness of 'gummy bottomed' shoes. Sorry, I love the way you put it. :p

I once twisted my ankle in my Yonex shoe.. forgot which model already.. SHB something I believe. The shoe said, "Anti-twist system" and I twisted my ankle.:rolleyes: Wasn't that serious, just limped around for a few days but still..

Lol, sorry, I didn't think Ling was a surname.. Haven't met anyone with the surname 'Ling' yet..

13. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    just 1 letter away from LIN
    my initials YY is NOT yang yang

14. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student

Yeah, I think someone said something about "gummy" bottoms of their shoes once, and I've ever since described badminton shoes like that. Ouch, sorry for you. I don't think I've ever twisted my ankle yet with badminton shoes. I guess I'm lucky!

Wait, so the only 'Lings' you've ever met had "Ling" as their first name? Odd...

Do they stand for the symbol of Yonex (In Chinese, we pronounce it "why-why" 'cause of the structure of the Yonex symbol)? Or perhaps yy is for "Yo yo?":p

15. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

The reason why is that the new shoes didn't take the shape of your feet yet, after like 4-6 hours, it will be comfortable I guess. The same thing when I bought me new New Balance Shoes ;) Tell us news about it.

16. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    lol maybe you can call me that, but im not yonex cause i dont overprice my products lol although i did overprice pokemon cards when i sold them in primary school... but im proud to have same chinese surname with LIN dan

17. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    i think shoes are a bit too big, they feel small when i bought them, but they getting bigger...

18. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

hiroisuke, most people I've met actually have names like.. Yi Ling, Wei Ling, Yue Ling etc. Hehe.

yy_ling.. I was about to suggest that actually, glad I didn't.:D But hey, Yang Yang as a name would have the whole BC interviewing you over racquets..:p

How are your shoes now? Do you still find yourself slower? Maybe your shoes are heavier.. What model did you get? Some shoes are heavy..

And I'm amazed. Your shoes grow??

19. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    when i bought them they felt tight, after playing it felt bigger

20. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Once my friend with small feet bought a pair of shoes and played happily with it.. then someone accidently took home her shoes and she took home the other person's shoes.. to cut a long story short, they had to train in each others shoe for a day. When she got back her shoe.. it was much looser. Apparently the other person stretched her shoe. Sideways.:p

Perhaps thats your case.. you stretched it.