How will you execute a warm-up session ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by f3nr15, Nov 16, 2006.

1. f3nr15

f3nr15 Regular Member

It is important in every sports game a warm up is performed to reduce injury, optimise performance, etc.

In less than a fortnight I am instructed to lead my classmates into an actual game of Badminton in a practical assessment. I need to refine my warm-up session, it would be very helpful to share your warm-up session techniques and routine.

2. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    For our badminton team, we do a lot of jump roping for warm up. Noobs like me have to do 200 single jumps and 100 double jumps while the vets have to do something like 350 single and 200 double. Then some water and stretching and ready for some playing.

3. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Some slow jogging to warm up the muscles.. don't stretch cold muscles.

After everyone's reasonably warmed up from jogging start stretching. Stretch either from head to toe, or toe to head. Stretch the neck, shoulders, arms, waist, quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, ankles etc.. from head to toe.:)

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You'd be better off saving the static stretches for after the session (part of the "cool-down").

5. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Well I usually do those stretches for my 'cool-down' too.. with a few extra.

I'm curious.. you mean stretching is not important?

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes and no.

Yes, static stretching is important as part of your fitness regime. Stretching promotes good long-term muscle condition, improving flexibility and protecting against injury.

No, static stretching is not beneficial immediately before badminton. Stretching actually reduces athletic performance and has no measurable effect on injury (the relevant studies used jump height as a measure).

Coaches in England are now taught not to include static stretching in the warm-up.

Yet if you can't do it at any other time, it's better to do some stretching in the warm-up than never stretch.

7. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

You mean it's better we just do some jogging, then immediately train/play badminton without having to stretch?

Wow.. never knew that.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes. The two main components of a good warm-up are:

1. Jogging or other exercise that raises the heart rate
    2. Sport-specific movements (lunges, shadow badminton....), which prepare the muscles for badminton games
    You might also include some joint mobilisation (dynamic stretching), such as shoulder windmills.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

....of course, you usually do a knock-up after the warm-up too.

10. s_m_a_s_h_e_r

s_m_a_s_h_e_r Regular Member

What are differences between static stretching and dynamic stretching? Could you give more examples of dynamic stretching? Thanks.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Static stretching is when you lengthen a muscle and hold it. The aim of static stretching is (at least mainly) to lengthen muscles.

I'm not sure of the technical differences between all the different types of stretching. It's possible I'm using the term inaccurately.

What you need to know is that:

• Stretching and holding the stretch (static stretching) is not useful for a warm-up. It is good for a cool-down and for general fitness.
    • Other muscular mobilisation, and especially movements that are similar to the ones used in badminton, are useful for a warm-up. These are sometimes called dynamic stretches (after all, a muscle is stretched or contracted whenever it's used).

12. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    dynamic stretching would be like doing arms swings, figure 8's, leg swings, jogging on the spot, lunges etc. Pretty much any movement that you do that results in feeling a 'stretch' would be considered a dynamic stretch.

Gollum is absolutely right about the only doing static stretch after playing thing. Static stretch will just stretch your muscles before they are evn warmed up, and will have no help or effect on exercise performed immediately after. It may even be deritimental. Static stretching is for increasing flexibility, and the best time to do it is after hard exercise when your muscles are still 'hot/warm'.

13. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
  14. Bigman

Bigman Regular Member

Student!
    I cycle 10k to play badminton so i don't really warm-up as i'm normally quite loose and when when i arrive. So i generaly just do i little bit of jogging on the spot to loosen my legs when i arrive and knock-up for 10mins starting at a low intensity working my way to "game" intensity towards the end of the knock-up. Mind u i'm only 19 so still quite young. I always warm down gently by strechingand cycling back slowly.

****off topic****
    Cycling is a good way to improve your fitness. 1st time i cycled it killed me but its getting easier.

15. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student

Indeed, biking/cycling is awesome, but I've never used it to "warm up." Rather, I've biked on some trails (AMAZING TRAILS WHERE I LIVE! I live near the mountains, and there's this 24 mile [I think] trail through some great nature areas, you don't get that in the city), and it's great exercise, fresh air, and great for your conditioning. I used it to train for badminton endurance. I love biking in the summer, can get about 1-2 hours at one time on that trail.

For me, I jog around a bit, stretch while light rallying (Looks funny, and it's hilarious what can happen if you don't do it right), and then I go into some slightly more serious rallying/drills. Each pair only gets half a court (at most) and sometimes only the space between a court (we only have 6 courts, and about 50 players), so we do half-court singles, drop drills, driving, clearing, etc. Then we stretch slightly before we start playing, then go back to some more drills during the 5 minute warm-up we're allotted before playing.

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Oh I see...

Thanks a lot! :)

17. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I just posted some info on dynamic vs static stretching in a "Korean instruction video" thread before I came across this thread. The info that I provided in the other thread appears to be pretty much in agrrement with the stuff that Gollum and t3tsubo have stated here. For what its worth (possibly a slightly different perspective), here's my posting in the other thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=497672&postcount=89