Adding overgrip affects balance point?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Neil Nicholls, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

For those that think changing the balnce point of the racquet by adding an overgrip makes a difference to the racquet, consider the following:

Is adding an overgrip different to playing whilst wearing a glove on your hand?
    Is it different if you superglue the glove to the handle?

What if you attach extra weights to your hand rather than the handle?
    Does that make a difference?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Nice thought experiment. Elegant, lateral thinking :)

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Yes, distribution of the added weight is different. However, I can not tell the difference.
    2) Depend on where and how much. In real world, why bother???

I agree with your points.

4. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

I think this subject has been beaten to death. Regardless of the "physics" involved, it seems obvious that adding weight to the handle makes no difference to how the racket actually feels, other than the whole thing is heavier now. Adding weight to the head is something else altogther. But if it makes some people feel that it makes a difference and they play better because of it, then more power to them :)

5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

It adds to the overall weight of the racquet and if you where to try and balance the racquet on a pin it would undoubtedley shift the balance point along the shaft.

6. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

I agree, the added weight should not have any discernable difference on the feel of the racquet. I just added 2 overgrips to my racquet and although the balance changed from even to head-light on paper, it feels exactly the same.

Now here's something to think about for you physics/math geeks:

When playing front or during defense, we shortgrip the racquet holding it closer to the cone. shouldn't the added weight of the overgrips now act as some sort of counter weight since the pivot/suspension point has moved forward? How much more head-light would the racquet feel compared to having no overgrips?

7. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    In response to the scenario posed by Pedro, I think the difference is very minimal. I agree with ryeung that it's adding weight to the rackethead that will significantly make a difference.

8. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Yeah, my guess is you won't be able to tell the difference, but I'm sure that won't stop our science guys from whipping out their calculators and computers having a go at modeling out the difference.:D