MP99 Broke! :( Time for Ashaway..?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by JLneonhug, Nov 23, 2006.

1. JLneonhug

JLneonhug Regular Member

My MP99 broke yesterday after some bad karma and im left with my N9k. Thing is, i can only play well with my N9k when im putting my 100% in it, if i have a semi off day it will not give you le-way. My MP99 always had the consistancy even when im not all "with it". However i'd like to find a better alternative in the Ashaway brand. Tried my friends Ashaway P990 (MP99) and it felt as nice as yonex ones but half the price.

I was considering the Ashaway Nanotec 8000 (presuming its the same as Yonex's N8k), as i've tried that and it felt quite nice to play with. Or perhaps a Ashaway Ti130 Only because it seems like a very light control racket and i never had a high flex racket before.

I see myself as a slightly more controlled player than a smashing player as my smashes arent too powerful. I would like a racket to help with my power but at the same time not give any control up for it. Rackets i've tried are:
    ~AT 800 off (Liked it alot, control and power, however it still costs a bit, plus i heard it breaks very easily because a friend broke 5 in a space of 3-4 years?)
    ~ MP99 - looking for alternative.
    ~ MP88 Nice but bit sluggish i thought
    ~ N9k (as explained above)
    ~ Ashaway p990 (same)
    ~ N8k crisp and stiff, quite nice i thought but unsure if its for doubles
    ~ Carbonex 21 :D (that was my first racket)

Sorry if i ranted on a little.. Not sure how much info i should put really, i've been reading the threads none stop for the past 5 hrs? just to get some ideas of which and what to get.

[Edit] Knew i forgot something! Im mainly a doubles player but occationally a singles but i'll probably use my N9k for singles :) And i think im more of a wrist person than an arm, if that is any help?

-John

#1 JLneonhug, Nov 23, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

you liked your friends p990, right?

why not buy that?

and with clones you never know if it performs the same...but with the p990 you knwo you like it...what's holding you back?;)

3. JLneonhug

JLneonhug Regular Member

I havent extensivly tested it yet but i will tonight, and yes.. good; i suppose is good but i still feel theres a racket out there which is better suited.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

hmh, I see...well good luck!

5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

The TP990 is the Stiffest Asahaway racquet as far as I am aware, havent used it as I prefer a bit of flex, the Ti130 looks like a bargain but I am not sure that a high flex racquet would suit me either (fear it would self destruct), If you want a Medium Flex Asahaway you could do a lot worse than the NanoTitanium (what I use), price wise it should be about the same as the TP although you probably need to budget to get it restrung as there a bit soft factory strung (or so I found).

6. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Which MP99 did you have? The 2U or 3U?

7. JLneonhug

JLneonhug Regular Member

Rightio, i've tested the tp990 again yesterday and it feels it has so much control although for some reason i cant defend or put power into some shots. He did have factory strings though so.. should it might be that?

Is tp990 the stiffest? what about the nanotec 8k?

I have the 3U one i believe. (i dont really know the difference though, just felt more comfortable)

Thanks for your replies! :)

8. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    What's holding you back from getting another MP99? If you liked it that much, getting another one shouldn't be too much trouble to get used to again.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    JLneonhug,

The 2U and 3U is referring to the racket's weight. The 2U weight range is around 90-94 grams and the 3U range is 85-89 grams. Depending on people's preference, they can either decided between these two weights.

My friend does own a 2U version and does want to get a few 3Us in the future.

It should say on your rackets cone unless you already disposed the racket.

Regards

10. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

You already have a nano racket and it doesn't quite work for you, why get another ? If the Ashaway 8k is anything like the Yonex 8k, you may well do worse with it than you did with your 9k. Getting a racket that feel nice is no good if it doesn't also play nice. Play nice means that you don't have to struggle while playing with it.