Type of Courts / Related Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by paroxysmal, Nov 27, 2006.

1. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    This thread is to discuss the various types of badminton courts and the injuries associated with the game/courts.

Surfaces on which I have played :-

Wooden
    Cement
    Tiles

1) What are different types of courts?

2) Which one is the safest? (in regards to the related long term injuries)

3) Types of long term injuries and their association with the type of courts?

2. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Wow. I've never played on cement or tile courts. I mean, I have played on cement, but that was just outside on the street, not really a court. Wooden floors are not really any good for injuries at all, that new teraflex? stuff is the best, I find. Really forgiving, for me, at least.

3. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    I think the safest combination is the Green Rubber Yonex courts on a suspended wood floor would be the "safest".

I have played on wood floors that are slippery. - Danger is in slipping and falling or pulling a muscle.

Concrete - No shock absorption will lead to shin-splints and other impact issues.

Concrete with rubber coating - I played in a gym with this as practice/warm-up courts to wait for the wooden courts, It had great traction, but I felt my lower back tighten up and I started to develop shin splints.

Concrete with rubber pad and plastic tiles - San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club has this. There is a little movement between the tiles, but no so much that it would cause an injury (at least for me). Good grip, but my lower back is always sore after playing.

Not sure if its wood or concrete underneath with a ruberized coating on top. - The Garden Grove Sports Complex has this surface. I don't get shin splints, but I feel my knees are sore (I suspect miniscus pain) during play and afterwards (but I am getting older).

Take care,
    Toddster