Spam quirkiness

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Nov 27, 2006.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Been checking through some of the spam to identify blockable domains for the firewall. Got interested to see what lies beneath the image they used for the phishing email, so I opened up the source and and found this written after what was to be the legitimate message for people who don't accept HTML/Rich mail, HTML tags removed/replaced:

A quick check on the Internet and here's what I found on a web security forum posted by a user, the part after the legitimate mail:

I thought the phishers would have a better future writing novels instead.

2. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    That is pretty interesting. Nice to know that spammers have some viable talen t.

3. Iain CS

Iain CS Regular Member

I think there should be the equivalent of the Booker Prize for spam e-mail writers. I would nominate this one I received at work this morning:-

His own door was open; he watched her approach down the hall in her old brown cowboy boots and her blue-jeans with the keyring dangling from one of the belt-loops and her man's tee-shirt now spotted with blood. Just stay cool. I'm going to finish this baby the way I started with that Royal. Paul himself was propped on his hands, legs trailing out behind him. She writhed and managed to turn over halfway. He wanted to tell her so much, wanted to tell her even though he knew that a ravening paranoid like Annie would reject what was so obvious. The man who had done that had eyed the drive-up teller with a lively, interested eye tall, blonde, wearing a purple dress that had cupped her curves with a lover's touch. apposite

4. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Eh? That's really Odd...

5. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

They read like phrases that come out of erotic novel writing machines in Oceania circa 1984. :)

6. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Didn't know you're into erotica, Quasimodo. :)

They do read like that although it could just come out from any novel out there.

As for the clueless ones - try to look at the source of your email i.e. the HTML code that lies under the spam email you get. Some of it contains stuff like this to try to fool the spam checkers to think that it's a legit piece of mail.

7. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Here's what BBC has to say about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3247200.stm