Richmond Open Gym Drop In

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Jeffield, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Jeffield

Jeffield Regular Member

Student @ Hugh Boyd Secondary
    2 Dollars
    at
    Steveston Community Centre
    friday 3:30 -- 6 i belive

and

ill post the other ones for u guys later =)

2. PrinceOfBMT

PrinceOfBMT Regular Member

Umpire
    for what age group?
    if is for youth (under 19)i will recommand cambie community centre instead
    Is 2 dollars as well,starts 2:45-4:15 i recall Mon,Weds,Friday
    The courts are WAY nicer than steveston community centre. Plus again i say,if is for youth,these drops ins are a better way to make friends in badminton than those ALL AGES drop ins.

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    hmm...i've never had any issues with all age drop ins whenever i'm in town. =)
    But i do have to say that Cambie is a good place to go to play. I played during the adult session times when i was there. Friendly crowd. Most play plastic.

If you like playing feather then most play in groups and that is where it's hard to get into a game with them (especially if you don't have feather birds with you). So far Richmond pro, c1/c2 and cambie have all been friendly places to play especially if you're playing plastic. However, if you're looking for competitive games with feather you'll have to touch base with various members in this forum (Collingwood, VRC, C2 group etc).

4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Richmond badminton club plays feather. Drop in was something like $7 but they provided shuttles. Keep in mind they only allow a coupel drop ins, so it's first come first serve.

5. Jeffield

Jeffield Regular Member

Student @ Hugh Boyd Secondary
    i m under 18 =/ but steveston is for ANYBODY i nvr hit up the southarm ones because i get off school ( i go to Boyd ) and its soooo much closer lol =P and usually the drop ins i go to they are already all my friends since this all age group.. well they call it youth but they let 30 yr olds come in even tho no one older than 18 comes in =/

I always have plastic AND feather with me the guys we play dont matter what we use and i do go to C1, C2 and Rpro often but i like to come to these drop ins as a regular

Where is Richmond Badminton Club ? i have never heard of it =/ and meh i usually go badminton everywhere with a group of 2+ usually 4 with court rental SINCE its cheaper =P

6. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
  7. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    RBC also has a junior development program which might interest you. You can email the contacts on the rbc website

8. PrinceOfBMT

PrinceOfBMT Regular Member

Umpire
    over the past few years i've been to nearly all the drop ins available in richmond.
    I'll make it simple for you to decide where you want to plaY

Cambie Youth - Mon,weds fri 2 dollars 2:45-4:15
    SouthArm Youth - Thurs 2:30-5, Friday 5:30-7:45 2 dollars
    Steveston..U know..
    West Richmond Youth - 2 dollars ,Tuesday 3-4:15, AllAges 3-4:20
    Thompson All ages- 2 bucks 11:15-12:30

Ok here's the accurate break down..and believe me,whatever i am saying to you,IS TRUE..from 1998 til 2005 i train in drop ins...so trust me on this one. I am only taking my time because i want to return the favor to the usual drop ins i used to go to.

Cambie Youth: This drop in is a consistent drop in. If you intend to play or practice 3 times a week,this place obviously offers you those three times a week. There are four courts and majority of the players are the students from cambie secondary. Is normally not full,when i say that i mean the amount is usually just perfect (4 courts filled) but no rotation needed. The players there are usually the Junior badminton team members and a few other gr10 and lower. Seniors don't go there anymore. I was raised there and i think the atmosphere is great as long as you don't suck. If you are decent,you will make friends fast.

Southarm - I used to go because some of my friends from other schools went at the end of the week(back then it wuz only on fridays). There are no competition there,and is usually pretty packed (back then). If it is packed, you and your friends would need to rotate courts with other groups of people. If you are by urself and is packed....you basically won't get to play unless you really open up to people and ask. If you are good and you bring your group of friends who are also very good,you literally can take over the whole court yourselves(assuming you have 5 or 6 people). But if you want to actually practice and do drills,south arm IS NOT THE PLACE

Steveston - Don't bother. You are paying same price for a shitty gym

West Richmond - I hate it. There is a old guy in charge, HE RULES who gets off the court and rotate,if he is playing a game and lose track of time, you may sit off FOR AWHILE. The gym is small too, I wouldn't recommand. Unless gym is near empty. then it is worth it

Thompson - One of my favourites. Nice place to hit on the weekend,plus is all ages. The gym coordinator rotates players on and off the court every 15-30 minutes. Very organized and the gym is decent as well. Ceiling also nice and high. But i recommand bringing along a friend with u due to the fact is all ages, so there are some old people there bringing their kids. The place is right beside Burnett but no burnett badminton team members go there ever since ClearOne established. The last i saw a burnett player wuz..Tim Ma..and i think that wuz when i ran into him in 2003.........

In CONCLUSION
    Price: All of them is the same
    Competition: Cambie,then i would say..Southarm..might have..1..or 2..if u r lucky
    Making Friends: Chance is cambie,becoz those players ALWAYS GO..so u'll always see them again
    Gym: Cambie,Thompson,then Southarm

I can tell getting to some of these places may be a problem, but hopefully my post helped you narrow down to the three top drop ins i would say worth regularly attending.

Rem,advantages of drop ins are NO COMMITEMENTS. You go whenever you want,and every drop in is a surprise(as in..other players that attends)

Hope this helps..i dun usually help ppl out on this forum