Peter changing to MP 77!!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Yudhi, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    Peter Gade is about to change to Yonex MP-77 (source: petergade.net)

Equipment:
    Racket: Yonex Super Isometric Slim 10 (just about changing to Yonex Muscle Power 77)
    Strings: BG-65
    Shoes: SHB 9908 (Japanese make)

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that would be a drastic change.
    hope that is his personal wish and not by external forces

3. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    by the way is the super iso slim 10 same as the iso slim 10?
    if it is why the name is different?

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Hmmm... it kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? Yonex tried to make him change to Ti-10 for years, remember? Maybe the Slim-10 stocks have finally run out...

I'm sure that marketing-wise, Yonex would rather have seen him use the MP-100. I mean, MP-77 is "supposed" to be the second best, right? Who's gonna buy the MP-100 now, knowing that even Gade , who doesn't have to care about the price, thinks the cheaper MP-77 is a better choice? Sounds like a marketing problem for YY...

5. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    and also Taufik Hidayat

6. modious

modious Regular Member

Hey, I kinda like the MP 77 as well!
    Hmm....

7. Schumacher

Schumacher Guest

The reason that Yonex made him change to the MP77 is NOT because it's better than the MP100. It's because the MP77 is the latest racket in the Muscle Power Series, together with the MP55.
    Moreover, as evident (even in this forum), the MP100 is selling way better than the MP77, so there's no further need to promote it further. Making these top players switch to whatever racket ( be it MP77, Ti-10..etc) is purely for marketing purposes.
    Anyway, these top players doesn't really give a hoot abt wat they're using cos they're that good. :)

8. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Why ...

The MP-100 is essentially touted and designed to be a doubles racket whereas the MP-77 is designaed more for singles use. Of course there are players like Halim and Sigit who huck the trend and use MP-77 in doubles, or players like Gong Ruina who use the MP-100 in singles. But that's a prefernce in choice and not in specific design. To me at least, the MP-100 works well in singles as well as doubles. Maybe there is a difference with the MP-77 as I've yet to try Mustafa's racket....

9. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    May be he made his own choice to choose MP77 (but Yonex may force him to choose from the Muscle Power series). Doesn't Gade like more balanced racquet rather than head heavy racquet ?

10. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    He saw Taufik played so well despite of his injury, maybe that's one of the reason :)

11. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Re: Why ...

Hmm, this MP77 seems to be very popular..... I think i need to borrow 1 from someone to and try..... lol

12. TG

TG Guest

What's the DEBATE

Just because the top players choose not to use the top of the line racket doesn't mean they are "forced" to use a certain racket for marketing purposes. If a player can't play with a racket, no matter how much a company forces them to, if it'll hurt their career and performance, they won't do it.

Now, top of the line rackets are perceived to be the best but that doesn't mean that they are the best. Just look at the posts on this site about how the MP100 has vibration, cracks, no power, too much power, etc., etc.

I think Peter Gade is changing to the MP77 because its a good racket, not because Yonex wants him to. Taufik is already using it,and from the looks of it, will stick to it permanently. So why the debate?

13. Schumacher

Schumacher Guest

Re: What's the DEBATE

Are u kidding? You mean that these top players "will hurt their career and performance" if they switch to another top-end racket?? I not sure if u know how to play badminton, but to the pros, changing these rackets won't make a difference at all.

And.. Yonex is a COMPANY, out to make PROFITS. So marketing is clearly the main objective of all the sponsoring. That is why 90% of the pros out there use the latest rackets.

And i'm not sure if u understand my post/language, but i did not say that MP77 is a bad racket nor that the MP100 is a better racket. Read carefully my friend!! I am just illustrating an example of marketing using these examples.

"What's the debate"?? Aren't u 'debating' here as well??

14. Schumacher

Schumacher Guest

And TG, regarding the posts abt the MP100 or any other racket out there for that matter, you must be pretty naive to believe everything that has been reviewed.

15. happy guy

happy guy Guest

sorry i disagree with you.

racket make a hugh different to a player especially the pros. yes, a pro can pick up any racket and beat the sh*t out of you or me but when they (pro) compete against their peer, it make a huge different which racket they use and which string tension to use. changes such as racket, string tension, shuttle will affect the pros more so than it affect the amateurs. just like a child who starts to play badminton, he/she wouldn't know the different between mp77 and mp100, but if you blindfold a pro like peter g., he can tell you if he is holding a mp77 or mp100. racket DOES make a difference how well the pros perform!

16. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Re: sorry i disagree with you.

If u think rackets ( top-end rackets we r talking abt here) make such a HUGE difference, how do u explain the Indonesian doubles pair (can't remember if it's halim, sigit....) changing to a different racket in the middle of the game??

So are u trying to say that they are trying to lose the game?? Bribed to lose perhaps?? I know players who have represented the state/country before and the FACT is, the pros can get use to any top-end racket playing agst their peers. Remember, these are the Ti-10,MP77,MP100,Ti-SP...etc we are talking abt here. Not bloody $30 rackets. :)

17. TG

TG Guest

Whether I believe it or not is beside the point. What would be the reason for someone saying a certain racket cracked or vibrates too much if it didn't. People who have used these rackets are stating facts about them. If they were lying, simply to discredit one racket or another, then this forum has been one big waste of time. Schumacker, I wasn't even replying to your post so don't take it personally - we are all entitled to our opinions. That's what the forum is for.

Sure, pros can play well with any racket out there. In doubles they change to different models in the middle of the game, and I've seen this. Probably they need to become more offensive or defensive at some point of the game. Who knows. I have never seen this in singles (except once when Taufik was just starting to use the MP77 and started loosing in a game) and I think it's because they want the same familiar feel. This is probably why so many of the top singles players still use the Cab 20. Why hasn't Yonex "forced" them to change to the top models. My bet is because they don't want to. Look at Pete Sampras in tennis, he still uses a model that isn't made available to the public anymore, even if Wilson has better models. Why is that? I bet its the same reason with the badminton pros.

Hey... I guess this is the debate. No, let's call it a healthy discussion.

18. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

I agree with what you're saying. And I don't really think Gade was in any way forced by Yonex to change to the MP-77, but I am sure they have put pressure on him. Think about it: a player uses a certain racquet is good marketing for that model. If a player uses a model that's not even produced anymore then that's not very good from a marketing standpoint, is it? So, while Gade is still promoting the Yonex brand, his sponsoring value is a little less if he uses the Slim-10 than a current model. It would be naive not to see this as a marketing problem. (And by the way, the Cab-20 is still being produced as opposed to the Slim-10)

With racquets, it's like with most things: you use best what you use most. This is also why I think that when a pro decides to change equipment, it's always a very hard decision. It's costly -- it takes TIME and there's an element of risk involved. It's an investment for the future that you're not sure if it's going to pay off. Gade is injured currently. Maybe he just got a lot of time on his hands?

19. Schumacher

Schumacher Guest

Of course Peter Gade is not 'forced' to use the MP77. When the hell did i even said that?? In the real world out there, it's all about being diplomatic. Maybe Yonex just suggested that he use the MP77, and well, he could refuse. But he didn't i guess, and it all boils down to the point that if the pros spend some time to get use to any racket, he/she would be just as proficient with it after a matter of time. Moreover, he must have felt obilged cos he is sponsored after all!

And regarding the reviews about cracks, vibration, more/less power....etc, are all pretty inconclusive. How can the reviews be accurate if there are so many conflicting scenario? So what i am saying is, u should take everything out there with a pinch of salt. Even a ten year old kid out there can post a review. Are u suppose to believe everything??

P.S: Don't take it too personally as well. :)

20. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

No offense, but I think TG's posting was actually directed more towards one of my previous postings. Chill. And thank you for pointing out that about the review section. All of us here thought that you needed at least a doctor's degree to write there. Silly us!