How Yonex's warranty works

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yy_ling, Dec 3, 2006.

1. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    Im not sure if anyone has mentioned this but lots of posts question the warranty of Yonex. I heard from a stringer the reason why its a 50-50 chance to claim rackets is because Yonex sees the serial number rather than date of purchase.

Example racket stocks come, on year 2000. The serial numbers will be year 2000s serials. You buy the racket years after, lets say year 2004. It happens to be defective and breaks. So you went to claim another one. Heres where the problem comes. Yonex checks the serial number. The serial was generated on year 2000. You are claiming a new one on year 2004,(since in the early part of this story you bought it on year 2004 and it broke). To yonex, you have been using the racket since year 2000(since this racket came to the store on year 2000 the serials are year 2000s), so its wear and tear rather than defective product, and you cant get another one.

Im not sure if you guys know of this already but I just want to help clarify with why sometimes you cant replace your racket.

2. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Didn't know this, thanks for the clarification.

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    That sounds like non-sense.

If you have a paperwork to back it up, that's all you need. Since I shop at an authorized dealer (also popular), I have never herad of that kind of problem ever happening from there. Plus they do warrenty replacements on a regular basesis with no issues from Yonex.

4. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Yup, if you have the receipt, Yonex will replace the racket, if it is discontinued, Yonex will upgrade to the next best racket.

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Okie...so which one is true? Is this a case of US version comapred to asian market versions?

6. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    oh ya, if you have receipt, then you can prove it, i think i left it out

7. disturbed baddy

disturbed baddy Regular Member

Student
    Im sure that its from date of purchase your warrenty begins. Also i beleive than if you have a US coded racket in the UK the warrenty will be void also.

we should have a sticky on this forum showing the full warrenty.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The original claim is non-sense to me. Yonex can simply avoid any warranty claim, by stocking up the products in it's stock room for 1 year, then release to the market. This way, no warranty what so ever needs to be honored. If they do so, I am pretty sure we can see a lot of law suit long time ago. Any manufacture warranty won't start to count, until the legit purchase day (1st hand buyer).

Your stringer's story might be ok, if u r referring to the 2nd or 3rd hand users, as they can't claim the warranty as of the "purchase day". However, if you purchase brand new, then, I don't see the story stands. :rolleyes:

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yup, that's true. There are special exceptions.

Ie. Yonex shipped the wrong coded racket over, therefore, rather than sending them back, Yonex will sell them. Warrenty is unaffected and the rackets in question are documented. This is often true at my local store, where they have received from US and CP rackets over by mistake.

Here is another case. My local store has a mix of both CD and US coded rackets of the NS9K. The reason why is, Yonex USA had overstock, so they shipped them over to the store.

10. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    hmm, i'll go check with him next time i visit him

11. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

A lot of salespersons in Singapore say a lot of weird things about Yonex.

Usually, it's because they want to sell you other brands of racquets for which they have higher profit margins :p Listening to this strange story about Yonex warranty... is there a part 2 to the story? ... eg: "unlike Yonex, brand XXX will give you a no questions asked warranty for 5 years!!!"

12. _MyST_Spring

_MyST_Spring Regular Member

i think for harddisk manufacturers, they really use the manufactuing date as the warranty start date.

But I doubt racket can do the same.

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    That is also non-sense. Be expecting class action lawsuits for that kind of practice.