fun games for coaching kids

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tipper1, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    have recently started coaching a group of kids of varying ability(6 to 20 of them) and need some game ideas to keep as many as possible invoved but only have one court hall available any help greatly appreciated. ireland

2. morewood

morewood Regular Member

If there’s only one of you and upto 20 kids I feel sorry for you especially with a single court, as unless they can be kept occupied you have a recipe for disaster. I’ve seen similar numbers but fortunately we have 3 people assisting.

I suppose you could split the session into two parts with 10 children each half that makes things more manageable.

Basic thing is going to be keeping them occupied, stopping them being disruptive; if you start with some energy sapping exercise such as a bleep test (cross court) then your going to get less trouble than if you ask a dozen of them to sit down while a game occurs.

short games first too 9 if your using the new points system, or 5 if using the old.
    half court singles, use short games again.
    put a time limit on games.
    use your youngsters as line judges and scorers.

But with the space limits and numbers your talking about giving the kids more than a foundation in how to play is going to be difficult.

3. morewood

morewood Regular Member

If there’s only one of you and upto 20 kids I feel sorry for you especially with a single court, as unless they can be kept occupied you have a recipe for disaster. I’ve seen similar numbers but fortunately we have 3 people assisting.

I suppose you could split the session into two parts with 10 children each half that makes things more manageable.

Basic thing is going to be keeping them occupied, stopping them being disruptive; if you start with some energy sapping exercise such as a bleep test (cross court) then your going to get less trouble than if you ask a dozen of them to sit down while a game occurs.

short games first too 9 if your using the new points system, or 5 if using the old.
    half court singles, use short games again.
    put a time limit on games.
    use your youngsters as line judges and scorers.

But with the space limits and numbers your talking about giving the kids more than a foundation in how to play is going to be difficult.

4. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    thanks for advice was planning to break up group into different ages and so maybe ability. have a decent structure in place as to different shots routines footwork and time allocation but just need game ideas to keep the whole thing fun they are a pretty quiet and indisruptive bunch

5. Saphira

Saphira Regular Member

student
    how about u stand on one side of the court, they line up on the other and its like a mini comp, u hit it to the kid in the front of the line, they miss, they sit down, hit it and they run round the court, clockwise behind u an the next kid gets a chance, last one left wins.

6. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    thank saphira but have been using that and a few others like champion where winner of point stays on court and they take it turn to beat the champion on but looking for some other ideas can be without racket also. finding any site with this is also impossible

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

shuttle runs from a base position, say five shuttles from one court position to another. You could do this as a team race type of routine, making sure that the shuttle is stood each time on its feathers. This makes sure that the person arrives to place the shuttle on the floor with a lunge and in balance.

Sometimes we play a multi shuttle routine, where i have 12 shuttles three of which are different in some way, either different colour or type or colour the cork with a felt pen, the players line up across the court. Feed in turn continuously until the shuttles are all gone, whoever gets the different shuttle has to run to a specific area and get back before his next feed. (The task is upto you) For example you could say that a certain type of shot has to be played for the coloured shuttle.

8. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

you could get some targets to aim at, buckets to hit serves into, doesn't have to be over a net. You could get 10 players to aim into a bucket for instance.