Rexy Has A Change Of Mind About Stepping Down

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by Malaysianfan, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Rexy Has A Change Of Mind About Stepping Down

From Zulhilmi Supaat [​IMG]

DOHA, Dec 6 (Bernama) -- National men's doubles coach Rexy Mainaky withdrew his intention to resign following the dismal performance by his charges in the badminton team event at the 15th edition of the Asian Games here.

Malaysia went down 1-3 to South Korea in the semifinals Monday night.

Rexy, whose contract with the Badminton association of Malaysia (BAM) only ends after the Beijing Olympics in 2008, said that he changed his mind after having a word with national chief coach Yap Kim Hock.

"For now, I will continue guiding the national men's doubles team. However, I will make a final decision when I discuss the matter with Kim Hock and the BAM management in Kuala Lumpur later," he told reporters here Tuesday.

After both doubles pairs -- Lin Woon Fui/Mohd Fairuzizuan Tazari and Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong -- lost to their opponents, the disheartened Indonesian voiced his intention of resigning as the coach.

Rexy, who has been coaching the national men's doubles team the last 16 months, said his charges were too emotional and did not execute the game plan.

"It is as though they do not trust me. The skills and knowledge I imparted to them did not surface. I am really disappointed," he said.

"Although I am from Indonesia, my employer is the BAM, and as a professional I gave my 100 per cent to them. After having had much success as a player, I too want to be successful as a coach," he said.

Rexy and his compatriot Ricky Subadja were unbeatable in their heyday and had won all the titles the sport had to offer - the Olympics, Thomas Cup, All England and the World Championships.

Kim Hock, when commenting on the matter, said Malaysia needed his services as he was among the best doubles player the world had ever seen.

Meanwhile, Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said, when asked to comment on the Malaysian defeat, said the players displayed mental weakness each time they were up against China, Indonesia or South Korea.

-- BERNAMA

2. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Asiad: Rexy disappointed with players performance
    News update from StarSports
    THE Malaysian badminton players have yet to kick into high gear for the individual competition but trouble was already brewing in the camp.
    Shortly after the 1-3 defeat by South Korea in the semi- finals of the men's team compe tition on Monday, doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky was so dis appointed with his players' per formance that he threatened to quit.
    It was only at the Games Village yesterday that national chief coach Yap Kim Hock and National Sports Council (NSC) director general Datuk Dr Ramlan Aziz persuaded Rexy to reconsider his decision for the sake of the team.
    Rexy was unable to swallow the defeat and he felt that the players did not have faith in him to handle the team.
    “The Asian Games for me is a failure if our players continue to dish out these type of perfor mances. There was no fighting spirit,” he said.
    “The players did not follow my instructions. They already think they are good enough. If this is the case, what is the point in having me as their coach.
    “I might as well go back after the Asian Games and coach kids without any pressure at all.
    “I have faith in the players 200% but I have to ask them whether they feel the same about me.”
    An emotional Rexy said that he had never felt so let down in his career as a player and a coach.
    “I spent a lot of time with them because I want them to come up and win Olympic and World Championships titles,” he said.
    “We spent a lot on analysis and studying players. But when it comes to the real match, what is taught is not adhered.
    “I have been in Malaysia for one year and three months and it's no use for me to stay on if the players do not believe in me.”
    The Indonesian's contract with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) ends in June next year. While Rexy later apologised to Kim Hock for his outburst, he still left it open as to his future with the national team.
    “I will discuss my future with the team when I go back to Kuala Lumpur,” he said.
    “There is a competition to play and I want the players to display better fighting spirit. If the players want to make promises, I hope it is not empty promises again.”
    Said Kim Hock: “I understand his frustration with the players because of the narrow defeats.
    But it is not the right time to quit. We brought him in to pre pare the team leading up till the 2008 Beijing Olympics. That is where success or failure will be determined.”
    In the semi-finals tie against South Korea, national number one Lee Chong Wei failed to earn the first point for Malaysia, losing 19-21, 19-21 to Lee Hyun-il.
    Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui, featuring as the top ranked pair for the first time, beat Lee Yong-dae- Jung Jae-sung 21-19 in the first game; held match-point at 20- 18 but allowed the Koreans to claw back in to eventually win 22-20, 21-16.
    Mohd Hafiz Hashim kept the Malaysian hopes alive when he beat Park Sung-hwan 21-12, 11-21, 21-17. But it was all over after Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong crashed to a 14-21, 21- 23 defeat by Hwang Ji-man-Lee Jae-jin.
    The individual competition started yesterday with Wong Mew Choo as the only Malaysian in action. She beat Roula Matar of Syria 21-5, 21-2 to move into the second round.
    The other Malaysian women's singles entry, Julia Wong, received a first-round walkover from Trupti Murugunde of India.

3. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Oh Rexy!

I can only say Rexy took a big gamble to re-shaffled the MDs and it backfired. To blame the players for not trusting him 200% is absurd, only Malaysia coaching staff think our MDs are very strong without Choong/Lee and KKK/CCM, the orignal cast for Asian Games.
    Also, it's the wrong time to call it quit while the Individual event is on going ... To me, Rexy have done wonderful job in MD department but may have over-estimated our strenght. In my opinion, our MDs are very good but not good enough to win big title, at least not yet. Aiming medal for Olympic is more realistic goal to achieve ... Don't forget, not only Malaysia MD is improving under Rexy, so is other nations.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Experience is needed. Those games look really close. And remember, Rexy's time was during the old scoring system.

5. terry

terry Regular Member

Agree that experience is needed but LYB also was during the old scoring system. We also dun know why China team is so successful in team events. I think many of us were wondering about this issue. Is just like Brazil soccer team.

6. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

He seems very frustated, err maybe he's asking for a raise or some other country has offer him a job anuway now M'sia loss won't be blame on him I think .... hehehe just kidding.

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    LYB is not finding consistency with his MD pairs yet either. But at least they bagged the world title.

The mental preparation of Malaysian players needs more work. They can be good up to the final, only to collapse later. Could be a problem of setting goals too low (eg. silver instead of gold) or a case of being contented with just reaching the final, but not winning it. The rot possibly started after '92 Thomas Cup triumph, when players were rewarded too much, even newbie players lost their hunger for success.

At about the same time, the foresighted then BAM President was voted out of office in a political power struggle. From then onwards, BAM brought in Morten Frost, Professor Park and Li Mao/Rexy along, things have not changed. And we lost our own Tan Kim Her to Korea, who did great things with relatively young Korean doubles teams.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad

What you need is a reasonable good pair of MDs and Top 5 Ranked Singles players. Then its easier to win Team event.

9. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Now what can do is hope the players well and give rexy back some confidence.....I think Mas can't lose rexy coz i think that he is a very good coach...Ask for KKK/TBH,they are still very young and not mature enough but i believe that winning the world champion or even olympic champion is also their wish...So,really hope they can perform well in the individual event..

10. ants

ants Regular Member

In a way, i think the coaching staffs "Gamble" on fielding Tazari/Robert and KKK/TBH in the wrong event. Asian games is different. Both pairs has not showed consistent results this year. However CTF/LWW and CCM/KKK definately have good experience and does perform well in these kind of event.

At the same time we cannot think of what we want NOW but think of the FUTURE and due respect to the staffs.. sometime its also a Good thing to expose the younger pairs in these event as early as now so that they can gain experience and not buckle in the future.

11. terry

terry Regular Member

Well Rexy is only 16 months here, maybe he need more time. Hope he will stay back until he prove himself.

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Hire Tan Kim Her

Totally agree. Why would the boys who worship Rexy not trust him? But performance during training is one thing;it does not easily transfer into the highly competitive atmosphere where constant adjustments to your opponents is key. The young MDs skills may not be internalised enough to execute Rexy's game plan. It usually takes some 3 years of high level match experience to deliver consistently, no short cut there.
    I believe Rexy's keen to showcase his portfolio; instead he was humbled. Rexy's a great coach but for the 100m, not the marathon. MAS should get Tan Kim Her on board. Rexy should come to Spore where I'm sure he 'll coach the MD brothers to their first title and he can fire up some new MDs like he did with MAS. The good thing is , in Spore he will not need to dismantle oldies cos there are none. Spore BA,I hope you make your move. Rexy is ready to go.

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem is Singapore can not afford to pay Rexy's salary and I would imagine Rexy will face harder hurdle to convince the youngsters to give up studies and concentrate on badminton :D

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Singapore can afford to pay Rexy actually.. but personally.. Rexy feels very at home in Malaysia already.

15. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya...When you stay in a place for a long time,you will feel comfortable and treat it as you home..I think rexy is only too angry and make such a decision...From what he react,we knew that he is really sincere to mas and BAM...He feel sad for Mas when we can't get into the final...So,i think he put in a lot of effort as well as relationship with the players in 16 month...

16. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    It sounds like Rexy isn't even asking for too much from the Malaysian players... All he asks for is the "Never give up" fighting spirit, and the players can't even give that to him...:( Put yourself in his situation... How would you feel if both of your doubles team could have won, but messed it all up at the most critical moments... From 20-18 lead to a 20-22 loss... then the next team loses in an even worse manner.

If I were Rexy, and assume that I have not yet built a strong relationship with the Malaysian players, I would have done the same thing, and probably better to coach some kids where you can instill the fighting spirit in them early to assist them in becoming champions in the future.

If I were in the Malaysian players' situation, I would much rather be like CCM and stayed home... First, I am not blame for the failure of the team. Second, Fans think I could have done better if I showed up, even though that I never had to prove it... so I sort of become a hero without doing a thing...:p

17. byelnats

byelnats Regular Member

I think Rexy is frustrated that the players do not follow his instructions during the game. Secondly, he thinks that the player does not have enough fighting spirit.

I don't know about fighting spirit because I have not seen the match, but for the first one, there are two possibilities.

One, players do not believe in Rexy's strategies and decided to take the matter into their own hand.

Two: players are so into the game they forgot the strategy. That is possible too. Depend on how Rexy look at it. He needs to have a long talk with his team.

18. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    WOW... you are one of the most logical person I have seen here in the BC forum...:D:D:D

I think your either of those two possiblity is enough to really piss a coach off... imagine spending hours analyzing how to win a game with them, only to have them either ignore or forget everything you talk about...:eek:

19. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Rexy is Right

Have you guys seen Rexy expression when the Malaysians were playing? Everytime, when the Malaysian are playing, Rexy looks nervous and tense, as if, he was playing! From that, i could infer that Rexy truly wants our pair to win...... very very much. It is just that we are letting him down time and time again.

Concerning the gamble of bringing in new players, i personally think that it was a good idea. Have you guys forgotten that CTK/LWW played so badly in the last few tournaments that led to them being dropped by BAM.

20. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Exactly, you are so right on the spot!!!:cool:
    With a coach as good and responsible like Rexy, if he were to coach like say Fu/Cai, they will probably be winning every touranemnt by now.. not that the Chinese coach is bad or anything.:p But Rexy had done so much for his team, and even risk losing his job to keep those fools like CTK/LWW whom can't even get along as a team and can't stop losing. If I get paid a salary as much as Rexy, I ain't risking crap for those losers by any chance... that's why I am a good coach..:p:p:p