anything wrong with REALLY thick grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by morbo, Dec 6, 2006.

1. morbo

morbo Regular Member

Just wondering, does anyone else use a really thick grip? I find myself using the ribbed griptape over stock grip, which results in something closer to a tennis raquet handle than a badminton handle. For some reason this feels more solid in my hand, but I wonder if its just because I've become accustomed to it... anything wrong with this?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you play better with a thicker grip, it's still OK. When you compare the size to some of the pro's, you'd be surprised how quite a few have really small grips.

3. morbo

morbo Regular Member

that is true... and that is what makes me think it might be wrong to use such a thick grip, like maybe a thinner grip helps with finesse or something. On the other hand, I'm a much bigger person than most of the pros I've seen, I don't think there's many badminton players over 200lbs, its not really a big man's game ;)

4. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    as long as it suits you, no one really bothers

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    you should do a search on this topic. A thinner grip does help with the fine control that the fingers can give. For example, those hold and flicks disguise are largely finger technique. That's why the disguise is so good.

6. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Thinner grip allows you to turn the racquet quicker and potentially generate more "snap" power but a thicker grip makes things more comfortable and reduces the chance of arm strain, but its a case of find where your comfortable and stick with it.

7. morbo

morbo Regular Member

thanks everyone, I will search about this and for now keep the thick grip, it fits me ok and I don't do any deceptive shots at the moment. I can always take it off later and use the stock grip..

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    It's obvious u got a bigger hand to start out with so u shouldn't do straight comparison to players who are 'smaller' than you. Generally bigger grip is more comfortable because the owner build it up with thick overgrip. To me i lose accuracy because thick overgrip means rounded handle which mean i lose my pin point accuracy. In yonex rackets, G2 is quite big with a regular overgrip. If u want big grip, start with a largest G's.

#8 cooler, Dec 6, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    G2 is perfect for our GPB :D.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you can twirl your racquet easily when holding the racquet and also do a figure-of-8 changing of your grip movement, from backhand to forehand, rapidly, then your grip size is probably right for you.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Put all the "pros and cons" aside 1st, as you need to feel comfortable to begin with. If the thicker grips make you feel more comfortable, stick with it. All the "advantages" won't work well for you, if you feel uncomfortable to start with. :rolleyes:

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A grip that is comfortable to hold and smash may or may not be too slow for that lightning switch from forehand to backhand. For all round playability a grip size that allows you to change your grip rapidly, from backhand to forehand, and to all the different grips that different strokes require at an instant, is a requirement. Comfortable, yes, but it must be within the fundamental playability requirement. Comfortable + poor playability = no no. Comfortable + playability = you have got it right. Strange as it may seem, a grip that is great on playability is always comfortable. Otherwise, how else can you switch from a forehand stroke to a backhand push at lightning speed to kill of the reply?