reccomend me a string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by morbo, Dec 6, 2006.

1. morbo

morbo Regular Member

Racquet is Wilson v14, stock strings/tension. I find it to be a bit underpowered this way.

http://www.badmintonalley.com/Wilson_Vision_14_Quad_p/racket-wilson-v14-quad.htm

I consider myself a beginner, though have been playing for years and have decent basics + good smash. I will be playing almost exculsively with nylon shuttles. I have good power but have a tendency so smash all the time and am trying to improve my all around game.

I will order strings from mybadmintonshop so any brand is fine, I will get them done locally probably at 20-23lbs tension, since that seems to be reccommended for beginners. Stringing is expensive here, so I'd rather not have to do it very often, I'd like the strings to last a while.

So, can anyone reccommend me some good strings?

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    To be honest, at my club all of us use BG-65... it's cheap, and it does the trick. Although the more expensive stuff may 'react' a little better, the frequency with which all of us break strings doesn't really justify the cost.

Personally, I've found that string itself isn't really that big a deal, more the tension you get it strung at. Heh, when Victor sent me racquets even they were strung with BG-65 :)

3. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Good observation. Using the correct tensions can make even the most ordinary of strings very owerful. I am selling BG65 string jobs like hot cakes, and people buy it for the power.

4. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

For power and durability and good at maintaining tension, BG80, Ashaway microlegend XL

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think BG65 with reasonable tension can satify your need already. If you are willing to invest a bit more, BG80 has an overall better performance (but the player is the main factor), but less durable. ;)

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

7. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

BG80 is good but not good enough. As a stringer, one has to minimise the probabilities of string breakage within a couple of weeks. In that respect, BG80 can't measure up. I aim to have just 2 lines of strings going, and these are BG65 and MLXL. I price MLXL higher because it cost more and aso I want to discourage people using it. I like the latter string a bit too much to want to see anyone but me using it. In any case BG65 does not lack power. The key is in the tensions.

8. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    LOL. Selfish :p But if they break more, don't you get more ppl coming back more often?

9. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

When strings break, people normally blame the stringer. The stringer will get no more business if his strings break so easily.

10. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    But the quality should be better for the majority of ppl, no? Also, I didn't know that applied to strings, just rackets (during stringing). But about XLML, you don't want others to use it besides yourself? Kinda odd, but I guess you like it a lot:D

11. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

My experience of stringing BG80 for people is quite mixed. 50% lasted forever and the other 50% broke quite quickly. As I generally string for people I know, I am just not interested in the potential bad feelings, even if I give people free restring when it broke too quickly. BG65 gives lots of power. For the really weak players, MLXL can work for them. I think MLXL gives me a power advantage, so I want to keep this advantage. For the vast mojority of people I know, they consider the colour of the string more important than the type. So, when presented with BG65 and the rather unattrctively coloured MLXL, they tend to go for the cheaper option, which suits me fine.

12. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    I see. lol, they really go for the color more than the type? Fools.
    :p Of course, I've only used BG 65 so far, and it's worked fine for the most part, but I'm going to start using other stuff soon.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with this one.

There are some customers just don't get the point of more expensive strings (usually thinner) do give u better feeling or rep. power, but you need to take a cut in durability. There were un-reasonable ones come to visit me, and blame how fast he can kill a BG80. So, I asked how long he can be done with a BG65 (around same tension), and the answer is 2 weeks at most, due to long player hours and smashing power. Then, if this guy expect BG80 can last at least 1 month (just because it's more expensive) is errrrr.... :eek:

14. morbo

morbo Regular Member

thanks for your thoughts everyone, I guess I will order some bg65 and some mlxl and see what I prefer. But for now, maybe I'll stick with factory strings, I have never broken them before and it sounds like once you start using other strings they break regularly.

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

factory strings normally don't break so easily because they are normally quite thick and strung at a very low tension. you shouldn't really compare that with replacement strings.

16. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    bg65 and ashaway microlegend xl is good enough, you could try mmoa rally 22

17. morbo

morbo Regular Member

oh I didn't know that thanks Dreamzz. I think I will still wait though, because I really don't want to get into a cycle of restringing racquets every few weeks/months, it is quite expensive here, costs more than 1/2 the price of my racquet (including strings) and I don't have a lot of $$$ to spend on badminton.

BTW, I can't find the ashaways strings mentioned at mybadmintonstore, can any of you tell me which of these strings:

http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/index.php?manufacturers_id=19

is the one I want for my needs? Or is it none of them?

18. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    this is ashaway microlegend

Attached Files:

19. gabxzz

gabxzz Regular Member

student
    How does the MLXL compare with the ML?

20. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

It doesn't look like MLXL is available from mybadmintonstore. Try this instead:
    http://www.badmintonalley.com/category_s/3.htm

On another thread you mentioned that you're using a Carlton Powerblade Superlight. The stock string on that should be the same quality as BG65 so just play it until it breaks or loses to much tension. If I remember correctly the stock tension on it is around 23lbs, so keep that in mind when you restring it.

#20 pedro22, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006