User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sealman
    Nikon is fine too, just that the option of a 135mm f/2 is not available. Just read the resources on the internet and self-critique your own photos.

Morewood
    i don't think that the 85 f/1.2 is particularly suited for badminton photography, but then again, it depends on what you want to photograph. a 135 f/2 and 50 f/1.4 would certainly be better and cost less.

If you have to talk about 'best lens' for badminton photography, the 200 f/1.8 is my subjective choice for the type of shots i like to take.
    Last edited by storkbill; 12-11-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    Sealman
    Morewood
    i don't think that the 85 f/1.2 is particularly suited for badminton photography, but then again, it depends on what you want to photograph. a 135 f/2 and 50 f/1.4 would certainly be better and cost less.

If you have to talk about 'best lens' for badminton photography, the 200 f/1.8 is my subjective choice for the type of shots i like to take.
    yes, I was very impressed to Storkbill's Sigit Kung Fu master photo taken by 200 f/1.8. The photo freezed Sigit well in the air with camera setting f/1.8 1/1250 ISO 1250. Pls refer details from #24 http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...t=36721&page=2

Storkbill, do you need monopod for the lens? In fact, I am thinking to buy primes for badminton photo, can you share some photos taking by 135 f/2 & 50 f/1.4 to me. I suppose the quality is much better than 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM. Will you take Singapore Open 2007?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AChan
    yes, I was very impressed to Storkbill's Sigit Kung Fu master photo taken by 200 f/1.8. The photo freezed Sigit well in the air with camera setting f/1.8 1/1250 ISO 1250. Pls refer details from #24 http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...t=36721&page=2

Storkbill, do you need monopod for the lens? In fact, I am thinking to buy primes for badminton photo, can you share some photos taking by 135 f/2 & 50 f/1.4 to me. I suppose the quality is much better than 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM. Will you take Singapore Open 2007?
    AChan, I hope to take Singapore Open, but too early to know. Yes, i use monopod for the lens. It can be handheld for brief periods but monopod is better. To see diff between zoom and prime, you need to view the full resolution samples which are several Mb in size... there are some websites that have such samples... prime is of course better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    Sealman
    Morewood

All depends how close you can get to the action, 85mm gives you plenty of scope with a digital SLR (crop factor) both to get the sharp close ups and the more general wide view depending on how far from the action you get. Obviously a zoom lens would be ideal, but for high speed glass you tend to find better primes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

took this photo of my friend in Bishan badminton hall in Singapore with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mk2.
    Exposure data:
    Focal length: 50 mm
    Aperture value: f/1.8
    Shutter speed value : 1/400
    ISO: 1600

The photo is still not sharp enough. Is this due to the shutter speed?
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...055#post503055

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman
    took this photo of my friend in Bishan badminton hall in Singapore with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mk2.
    Exposure data:
    Focal length: 50 mm
    Aperture value: f/1.8
    Shutter speed value : 1/400
    ISO: 1600

The photo is still not sharp enough. Is this due to the shutter speed?
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...055#post503055
    try f/2.5 or so instead of f/1.8. the depth of field is too shallow and thus the subject is out of focus.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still trying to figure which lens to use for different environments.

These photos were taken with a d70s with 80-200 f2.8 lens in a local badminton hall. Would it be better if I use lens with aperture set at f1.8-f2 in this environment?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sealman
    Still trying to figure which lens to use for different environments.

These photos were taken with a d70s with 80-200 f2.8 lens in a local badminton hall. Would it be better if I use lens with aperture set at f1.8-f2 in this environment?
    80-200 F/2.8 is a very versatile lens and you did pretty well with it! the problem of your pictures were a bit underexposed! Also, the composition and framing can be improved if u can practise more.
    try using a 50mm lens if u can stand on both sides of a court next time.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i find the 80-200 range difficult to use in badminton. sure it is nice and telephoto, but the net is always in the way and that doesn't look very good. usually when i do use it, i am situated high up, either on the audience stand or standing on a chair, so i can look "over" the net. still the net tape will be in the way, and as murphy laws states, it always end up on the player's face or blocking the hand/racket.

Sealman ur shots are pretty decent for first try. keep on practicing and trying out different angles. going to a f/1.8 will mean you have shallower depth of field as well as less flexible zoom range.

and it is slightly underexposed. try boosting the ISO as high as you can go. shooting ISO1600 and get the exposure correct right out of the box is better than shooting at ISO800 and pushing it in software.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys for your kind comments and advice.

the photos were shot at ISO1600. I read in a photography forum that d70s tend to produce underexposed photos? How do I get the exposure right other than using photoshop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using manual mode rather than P, S or A. Coz the lighting of a court should normally be even. Therefore, a fixed combination of shutter speed and aperture would be good enough. Also, with manual mode, the brightness of the background will never affect you to get a correct exposed players. It will still fool the meter but not you! That's the trick!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

red, thanks for your advice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3