Feet position after serving low

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BadGone, Dec 7, 2006.

1. BadGone

BadGone Regular Member

Hi everyone,

Just wonder how to you stand (feet position) when waiting for the return of your low serve ?

I usually place the right foot in front (I'm right footed), but I saw that many Pros (including Taufik) puts the left foot in front after serving low from left to right and the right foot after serving right to left.

Many Thx

2. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

I wouldn't presume to tell you why pros such as Taufik does this, but for me, I stand this way because the shot I have to look for is the straight drive down the line where the opponent attempts to hit the shuttle past me. With the feet placed in this manner sideways movement is slightly quicker towards that line on the opposite side of whichever foot is slightly in front. I am protecting that line. If the opponent wants to drive the shuttle towards the other side of the court, they take a bigger risk as they have to hit it past me. Therefore, I'm not so concerned about moving quickly towards that side.

Any other type of reply (eg lift or net shot) doesn't require me to be quite as urgent with the feet as there's plenty of time to get there no matter what way I'm standing.

I'm assuming we're talking about singles here, since Taufik was brought up as an example.

Wayne Young

3. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    you are left handed or right handed?, mostly same as the high serve, so that your opponent cant judge just by looking at your feet pattern

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I agree with kiwi... once you have served, you should be in a semi-crouch at the front with the right foot slightly forward, if you are right handed. This allows you to maintain explosive reach to hit that kill shot.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm, I hadn't noticed this but the explanation would be quite simple for singles.

From serving low, left to right, the return of serve to the back of the court is more likely to be straight. Any cross court lift, has to go very high and therefore very slow. TH's feet position can handle both scenarios as well as net play.

From serving low Right to Left, the return of serve might go to his backhand. If his feet were positioned with left foot forward, it would be slower to play a backhand shot as the left foot has to take a big step first. Then the right foot can move.
    If he had right foot forward, to play a backhand, all he has to do is make a little alteration with the left foot first, and then step with the right foot to play the backhand.

Exceptions are there - I havent done an analysis of all players but I think Xia Xuan Ze likes to keep his right foot forward regardless. Haven't watched him in a long time so my memory is a bit hazy.

6. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Actually, what I said is that I stand right foot slightly in front after short serving from right to left and vice versa from left to right, as described in the original post. The reasons for this, I mention in my post. Cheung also posted a similiar response.

In the final breakdown, it probably doesn't matter too much which foot is in front, but this is what I'm comfortable with.

Wayne Young

7. BadGone

BadGone Regular Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

I've praticed the left leg in front when serving low from left to right; btw I'm right handed. It seems that in this position I move backwards more easily and rapidly either to execute back hand or overhead clears on both back hand and fore hand side.

It just however feel not so natural moving forward as I have to move my raquet hand (right) before playing the net. I'll keep this position for a while to practice and feel the difference.

Ciao