Newbie want expensive racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by 2asian, Dec 7, 2006.

1. 2asian

2asian Regular Member

hey guys, i'm a newbie, and i'm currently using a mp23 as of now but i always have the urge to buy an expensive racquet...should i just go with my urge and get one, or should i wait till i get better and find out what type of racquet would suit me? i play 3 times a week which comes up to 6 hours, so im getting better pretty fast..but im still a beginner

2. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Normally, I think as a beginner you don't need a high end racquet, since it won't change your performance. Also, there is a very high chance, if you play doubles, that you will clash your racquet with another player, therefore throwing your money down the drain

However, since it's almost christmas, I guess you could treat yourself. Just be extra careful and take care of it like a baby!

3. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

NS9000 S is a good racquet for beginners because it provides a lot of feedback to the user as to whether you are hitting the shuttle correctly. Being headlight, it is also pretty easy to use.

4. 2asian

2asian Regular Member

whats the difference between headlight and head heavy? like what is it good for? i liek to smash, so woud head heavy be better for me?

5. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    It boils down to personal preference. Both headlight and headheavy can provide you the power in the smash.

evidence:
    Lin Dan with At700 = 300 km/h smash
    Chen Hong with NS8000 = 300 km/h smash

If you can, try out the difference between the two. Personally I like headlight because it is more manoeuvrable

6. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I agree with Tianjin. At this point, a new racquet probably wont change your results or your gameplay any... it never really does.

Basically, it boils down to what you are comfortable with. If you are uncomfortable or don't like your current racquet, get a new one. But if you like it and enjoy using it, an expensive one would probably be a waste of money. The only thing it would impart you is confidence in your abilities, which is helpful, but not as much as skill development.

7. 2asian

2asian Regular Member

oh ok, thanks for replying to my thread...yeah im happy with my current racquet, i got it for cheap too :D, i'll just use it until i restring it a couple of times so i know what kinda tension suits me, at what point do i find out what racquet suits me? muscle power racquets are even balanced.

8. westwood_13

Student
    Basically, just borrow friends' racquets, try them out. Try a variety of makes and styles, see what feels comfortable. The truth is, though, that almost any good quality racquet can me made to suit you... you just have to adjust to it, and you'll probably like it.

I've had a lot of racquets over my 11 years of playing, mostly just buying what was popular and not too expensive. And though some more than others, I really liked them all. Just had to get them into my habits, was all.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Expensive rackets do not gurantee fit for your need. The better choice should be the one that suitable for yourself. Try to demo (rent/borrow from local shops or fellow players) as many rackets as possible, and find the best deal within your acceptable range, if you really want to get "another" racket.

However, the better investment is to be on the shoes and proper training lessons. ;)

10. 2asian

2asian Regular Member

lessons are to far and they are expensive, which i can't afford in the long run, but however, will the shoes help me dramatically? or are they just a wsate of money?

11. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Good shoes will help a bit, but not dramatically.
    In my opinion coaching is the only thing that can make such a difference so quickly, but as you say it is expensive.

I wouldn't waste your money on a high end racquet yet, you could find it doesn't suit your play and then it's a waste of money, and to be honest when you are first starting out racquets don't really make that much difference.

Good luck with what ever you decide to buy. :)

12. morbo

morbo Regular Member

Well if you don't already have court shoes and are using runners or cross trainers, the shoes will make a huge difference, even just the cheap asics court shoes are miles ahead of cross trainers. Nothing improved my overall game as much as switching from cross trainers to court shoes.

Also since you're in Canada, there are 2 quite nice racquets that are very affordable here, look at this thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38798

Nice thing is both stores allow you to try them and return them, so buy both, and return whichever one you don't like. Both will probably be different from your MP23, and you can get an idea of what type of racquet suits your play style by trying all three. Then in the future when you upgrade, you will know what to look for.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1st, there are difference between "expensive baddy shoes vs. ok priced baddy shoes" and "proper baddy shoes vs. unproper whatever shoes used on baddy court". If you think the difference in 1st is minized, I tend to agree a bit, but the 2nd one i tend not to agree a single bit.

The main thing a proper baddy shoes offer you is the safety but not performance. Baddy shoes usually have good grip on the floor and cushion to absorb the impact. Never to metion fairly low soles and light weight, to prevent sprain ankle.

14. 2asian

2asian Regular Member

ok, i'll invest my money in a nice pair of shoes. Also, would it be a waste to restring my racquet at this level? or should i just play with it until it breaks, or till the tension is really soft?

15. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm, wait till it snaps. And/or when it gets too loose. Meaning it's a too low of a tension that makes you play crappy.

16. westwood_13

Student
    I agree, I usually play until it breaks. But if it's been 10+ months, I'd suggest restringing.

17. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    as long as u dont play in a funny way,i guess it's cool to use an expensive racket..take it as a treat for urself.But dont pick the best yet..wait till u play better,then u buy one of em.The best is for the last..then u'll feel how good they really r.