User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jug8man
    I really see this discussion going no where. Without taking sides or stirring the pot further, I suggest both to just end the discussion or perhaps this will be another thread locked?

TBBMBB(N)
    I totally agree with you. Thank you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Every nation has its National Pride

Greetings,

You guys have been talking about the short-term effects only.

I know we are talking about Singapore and Badminton... But we can open it up and talk about ANY country and ANY sport.

When a country wants to do well in Badminton, the Manangement of Badminton in that country has this in mind, like.... "Let us bring in some expertise/skill from other countries that are doing well in Badminton".

So, it could be players and/or coaches that they need, but they will have to pay for their services.

But that Management has a long-term goal. And they would say, "Once the performance of our own talent pool is strong enough, we can stop our recruitments from overseas".

And this is their long-term goal.

And they would tell their own people "Have patience, and let us learn from them... and will be developing our own talent pool as we learning from them".

jurong_twister is implying/assuming that Singapore is just buying players/coaches to do the Glory for Singapore. But, I can assure you that this is not the case. It is only for the short-term "fix-it" solution for the currrent problem/weakness.

Once Singapore can perform well with its own talent pool, Singapore will no longer need to import foreign talents anymore. But how long before this will happen, it will depend on how diligent Singapore works at it.

I don't think Singapore is trying to be dependent on foreign talents forever.

Every nation has its own national pride, and there is no such thing like, "We don't have to grow our own talents, we can just buy them from overseas".

Cheers... chris@ccc

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just my 2 cents & a bit off topic-To an extent...

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc
    I know we are talking about Singapore and Badminton... But we can open it up and talk about ANY country and ANY sport.
    ..(sorry guys, if my post doesn't relate exactly to the thread, mostly in effect to the recent posts) but just want to comment on this..
    Actually this is quite true also to the U.S. Sure there are only a few, frankly, a handful of those "imported" professionals players in the U.S. But, IMO, getting foreign talents(in any sport, may it be soccer, gymnastics etc.) esp. to help a country like the U.S. is welcomed very much.
    Case in point, U.S.(OCBC) hired Tony Gunawan & his wife, and recently Halim Haryanto, to work for them. And I'm sure the Canadians are ecstatic to have a player of Kim Dong Moon's calibre coaching there.
    On whether those "imported" players should be allowed to play for the host country, IMO, i think they should be given the right to play for the host country and do so under the host country's name. Of course, if that player has been given the necessary & legal clearance(s) to represent the host country.
    On the nationality's naming-convention, for example in the U.S., basically a melting pot or some would say a "hodge podge" country full of different ethnicities, once a person(born outside the U.S. or to a non-U.S. parents) has been granted naturalization to become a citizen of the U.S., that person automatically becomes an American.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 01-10-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you chris and ctjcad for your views.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chris@ccc

My point is: You dont beat around the bush. No matter how good you re-word the term, the FACT will still be the TRUTH. When you acknowledge the fact, people will be more than willing to accept it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jurong_twister
    chris@ccc

My point is: You dont beat around the bush. No matter how good you re-word the term, the FACT will still be the TRUTH. When you acknowledge the fact, people will be more than willing to accept it.
    Since you are so insistent, just look back to what you have posted, starting with your first post, which I repeat as follows

QUOTE=jurong_twister]singapore TVs called Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait sprinter

"Kenyan imported citizen"

shouldnt we call the shuttlers?

"Chinese imported citizen"

There wont be any benefit with foreign import players. Look at the badminton, where are all the real Singaporean after more than 4-5 years?

Didnt most secondary schools complain regarding Monfort's foreign player scheme last year?

Foreign coach & foreign player are totally two different matters.[/QUOTE]

You have the intention from the very start to pass snide remarks on foreign imports in general and on Singapore's foreign talents from China in particular. You tried to prove your point by describing the unhappiness in our schools which I said is only a passing phase. It is good that ctjcad gave his positive views on foreign imports for the US and what ethnicity means.

You went on to say that foreign imports would not help our cause, which I disagreed and gave you my reasons. You said Singapore can rely on its own local talents and quoted the success of our sailors. But I explained that sailing and badminton are not the same in Singapore but even in sailing we need the services of foreign coaches. Chris has expanded it further to make it clearer for you - the short term and long term goals and how these could be achieved because your view is too shortsighted.

You kept on repeating that Singapore has no local born talents in the National Team even though we have foreign imports to help us; in other words you are trying to discredit our policies and plans as being ineffective but I explained to you that it is still too early to expect results. But the results will surely come - it is a matter of time.

You are not happy and brush off my replies as "beating about the bush".
    In fact you are the one who is beating about the bush for you are harping on the same thing.

And despite the friendly call for stopping this discussion you still return to try to press your redundant views. For your information, you are not strictly contributing within the scope of this topic which is "Singapore Women's Team Asian Games Performance". You only want to take the opportunity to release your inflamed dissatisfaction over foreign imports for whatever reasons you may harbour.
    Last edited by Loh; 01-10-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You kept on repeating that Singapore has no local born talents in the National Team even though we have foreign imports to help us; in other words you are trying to discredit our policies and plans as being ineffective but I explained to you that it is still too early to expect results. But the results will surely come - it is a matter of time.
    You dont beat around the bush. No matter how good you re-word the term, the FACT will still be the TRUTH. When you acknowledge the fact, people will be more than willing to accept it.

And despite the friendly call for stopping this discussion you still return to try to press your redundant views. For your information, you are not strictly contributing within the scope of this topic which is "Singapore Women's Team Asian Games Performance". You only want to take the opportunity to release your inflamed dissatisfaction over foreign imports for whatever reasons you may harbour.
    You dont beat around the bush. No matter how good you re-word the term, the FACT will still be the TRUTH. When you acknowledge the fact, people will be more than willing to accept it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jurong_twister
    chris@ccc

The fact / truth is we're relying on Foreign Talents (FTs) to not only help us win medals, but to raise the standards in S'pore. You can't just dismiss it as a failure now as it is a long term goal. Eventually of course, we'll prefer to rely on Local Talents (LTs) more than FTs.

It's just a policy/plan Singapore has adopted. You won't know whether or not a plan works unless it's implemented. Logically speaking though, it should. Even if it doesn't, at least we've tried.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

5 years is not a very long time for a policy such as this to bear results considering the overall length of time it takes to develop a world class badminton player from the beginning. S'pore has also the difficulty of the parental and schooling emphasis on academic achievements which outweigh sporting interests.

Since most of the issues on FT has been covered, this thread will be closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4