What is wrong with LCW?

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by smashko, Dec 8, 2006.

1. smashko

smashko Regular Member

LCW had a very good first half year in 2006. He won several titles, reached finals in Macao, Hongkang and Taipei, was World No.1 for a couple of weeks, and even beat LD in MO to win the title. It seemed only LD could stop him in finals. We all were talking about a rivalry between him and LD for the years to come. In contrast his performance in the second half of the year has been very poor. He got beaten by several other players in semifinals including the two semifinal losses to TH in JO and AG. In the AG team competation he was even beaten in two straight sets by LYI against whom LCW had a good record. I like LCW's skills and his humble personality a lot, but can not understand his poor performance in recent months. We used to attribute some of his losses to the excessive pressure from BAM or his fans, but this time in the AG BAM did not set too high goals for its players. I hope some of you can help me find out the reasons.

2. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Dont think he underperformed during the match against TH, just that TH's form is better than him. He lost to LHI simply because LHI was just in excellent form duing the teams event, im not surprised LD also lost to him.

#2 zqloy, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  3. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Well...As i said,losing and winning is really very comman to all the players...When your opponent play better and eager to win than you,then you have to admit it...Sometimes,we can't really understand why they lose and what we can do is hope that he can come back in the next year...No matter what,in my heart,he is still a very great player..So,i am waiting for his great performance next year...

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Basically nothing is wrong with LCW. He played his game. Its just that his opponent is much stronger than him.
    Personally, His preparation was disrupted due to the accident.

Well after this Asian games.. they will have a good rest during the holiday season. Will start campaigning at the MSia Open.

5. chemile

chemile Regular Member

MMmmm, I think LCW had under pressure from their coutrymen, he must get this major title, since he never. He has good skill, but he must improve his mental weakness. Sorry to say, but with existing mental, he will never win major title, even in his crowd home at WC next year!

6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    TH and LD are simply better than LCW. For LCW to beat them, LCW has to be in top form with his deceptive play, pinpoint smashing accuracy and everything works and that is difficult to do everytime. And LCW lacks a killer smash. Having said that, LCW, TH and LD, whenever they play each other, is a threat to us fans.

7. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

I think his smashes hv improved, esp his crosscrourt smashes r deadly. TH cant retrieve quite a few of LCW's crosscourt smashes. But as i say TH's netplay is just too good, LCW just like Bao and LD, couldnt do much on that when facing the netplay genius like TH. :eek:

8. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Totally agree with you, TH's netplay was the main reason for beating Bao and LCW, when LCW lifts, TH will usually start bombarding him with smashes. LCW's crosscourt smashes were amazing too, if only he can net like TH then he can use it more. Lets hope he improves his net.

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. For now.LCW's play is also more precision-driven so the draft is always going to be an important factor.However, that also means his play is always great to watch regardless of who he plays. When there's TH or LD on the other side,it's like you said, always a treat, in fact ,sensational. Just high speed,sheer top quality all the way. You don't think LCW's cross-court smash is a killer smash? In only the last half of the 2nd game, I thought he won two or three points from that smash. TH could only defend one or two of LCW's smashes. That's at least 67% conversion. What's a killer smash? 80% conversion?
    Anyway, like Ants said, his accident affected his training which would affect his performance. It would be foolish to train hard immediately like before, in spite of medical clearance.Better to allow more time for the body to heal.But I'm hopeful 2007 will be a great year for him.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    LCW was never in any pressure.. i'm lying. What i mean is that the pressure doesnt really affect him much. He played his game and his opponent is much better than him this time PERIOD and he admits that too. No one really blames him for the defeats.

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Agree with U. Being a Malaysian myself, of course I cheer for my countrymen and LCW is one of favorite players. His performance in MO06 and AE06 vrs LD are exciting and are among my favorites videos, the other one is ZJH vrs Joko (I must have seen this video 10X). LCW's deception, netplay and coming from behind to win in the new 21-point scoring system against LD in MO06, now that is really something to witness (I envy those people who saw this game life). I have watched these 3 videos so much that my mind can memorize all those moves but unfortunately, my body would not cooperate and quit like TH did vrs LD and say no go!...hahahaha! I have not seen the LCW vrs TH match, therefore have not seen his cross-court smash like U said, but from previous matches, I agree they are great shots, catching the opponents out of position. I would like to correct one thing, I erred in saying killer smash, I meant power smash. If U have seen TH smash in real-life, that is a very powerful shot. LD's smash is one of a kind, three-steps-back-jump (seems suspend in the air) and smash with power and accuracy, that's a beauty and a trade-mark, won't U agree?

12. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

U should see the match. LCW's forehand crosscourt smashes is no less powerful and deceptive than TH and LD. Has improved alot compare to MO.

13. sweetgal

sweetgal Regular Member

i don't agree that lcw was out of shape last night. he got better compared to the last time i watched him. taufik was merely in really good shape when he beat lcw. it was a really nice game. they really fought for it. and many awesome rallies. it was just a pity that the game ended with a doubted line call. at the end, it was nice to see the two great players giving each other a huge hug. haha. one thing they have in common is that they both dont like lindan. lol.. anyway, for now, i hope taufik will be come the asiad badminton men's singles champ!!!

14. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    LCW is a good player but i think he gets nervous at times

15. nwy5633

nwy5633 Regular Member

Student
    there is no reason for LCW to lose...
    he got skill....
    he got tactic...
    he even got stamina...
    i think wat made him lose was juz his mind...
    his mentality could not beat LD & taufik...
    now...
    malaysia badminton team got a thing to do...
    find a profesional to work on our player...
    as i know...
    mentality is a powerful weapon to win...
    wat malaysian player less of is tat...
    tat's why we can't win in big event...
    the problem is no one know how to solve this problem...
    on wat i saw...
    rexy got something in this...
    maybe he can teach our player of tat...

16. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    A)For people who have actually watch his semifinal game
    ===========================================

1) Impossible to say his mental is weak.
    2) Impossible to say he didn't play properly
    3) Impossible to say he didn't try all his best
    4) Impossible to blame hime because both LCW and taufik play very good badminton, but for that day, Taufik was just better.

B) For people who did not see the match but simply shoot their mouth
    ======================================================
    1) Go watch the match la. Now got broadband internet. Got Sendspace. GO DOWNLOAD LA!

c)If you did see the game but think LCW is otherwise, then all I can say is :-
    =======================================================
    1) YOU LOOK BUT YOU CAN NOT SEE. very sorry for you!!!
    2) If you see car coming, means can not cross ya. In case this you don't know.

D)To that reporter that wrote 'Lee Chong Wei just decided to lose to the Lee Hyun Ill' :-
    ============================================
    YOU ARE DAMN CHICKEN FOR NOT PUBLISHING YOUR NAME ALONG WITH YOUR REPORT!!!!

'nuff said

The Big Bad Mean Borneon BaddyNut @ TBBMBB(N)

17. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Wow who the heck is that wrote such rubbish??? Can u share where do u saw that?

18. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Here you go....

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Tuesday/Sport/20061205090732/Article/index_html

15th Asian Games DOHA 2006: Shuttlers fall
    05 Dec 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ON paper, Malaysia fielded their best available players but their performance still fell short as South Korea advanced to the Asian Games badminton team final with a 3-1 win in their semi-final clash yesterday.

Korea were there for the taking but somehow, top singles player Lee Chong Wei decided to lose and Malaysia's wait for a final appearance, last achieved in 1990, continues.

19. soleha

soleha Regular Member

student
    jug8man, I 100% agree with u!!! Support Malaysian!! I think it's just TH LUCKY to win last night...... furthermore, both of them play very well last night,so eventhough lcw lose i still support him coz not only lcw lose to TH, but TH has lose many time to LCW before....... am i right??

20. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    i think taufik vs LCW is 5:2..........
    newspaper today ....The Star has an article bout LCW's loss to Taufik last night....and they wrote it like he lost badly......sentences like "LCW lost the 1st game in just 19 minutes" 19 minites is auite a long time for a game in this 21 point system......perhaps the idiot writer doesnt know....

and I watched RTM yesterday and heard sumthin bout taufik coming to KLRC.....i dunno if wat I'm saying is rite.....but I am sure I heard the guy saying sumthin bout Taufik coming to Kuala Lumpur or sumthin like tat.....any of u guys heard tat?