User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjswift
    I doubt LCW can defend his MO title in 2007 with his injury. If he does, he will likely pay a high price for it; the stress fracture blooming into a full fracture. I just hope he won't play, otherwise the worst can happen with an injury curtailing his career or derailing him from revealing all of his badminton gifts.But , you know, MAS coaches don't make smart decisions...
    A stress fracture should not stop him from playing -- and if painful, nothing like a bit of steroid/anti-inflammation injection. No seriously, sportsmen all over the world play with stress fractures in ankles (a lot of basketball players do that). As for it to develop into a full fracture, I am not so sure. I am sure the doctors have explained it to LCW the risk, and LCW is not a stupid boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    A stress fracture should not stop him from playing -- and if painful, nothing like a bit of steroid/anti-inflammation injection. No seriously, sportsmen all over the world play with stress fractures in ankles (a lot of basketball players do that). As for it to develop into a full fracture, I am not so sure. I am sure the doctors have explained it to LCW the risk, and LCW is not a stupid boy.
    Glad to hear that. Pardon my ignorance. Maybe it's less critical in basketball cos it's a team sport and the load is shared with at least 4 others with breaks if needed. In badminton, it's individual, with total load and virtually no breaks.Do you think LCW should just play or play to win a title? Do you think he can be in top form if he carries an injury? If not in top form, can he win a SS07 title like MO07?(equivalent to the Masters series for Tennis)At the highest competitive level, a minor injury can translate into a major liability.( In tennis,it has meant, often,that a top player gets beaten by second tier or even lower ranked players.)Do stress fractures heal faster or worsen with regular play? LCW is not stupid but smart people do make stupid decisions.Question is whether it is a stupid little decision or a stupid big decision. Should he go for short term loss to gear for long term gain or should he go for short term gain at the expense of long term loss?(if the fracture worsens) It seems he has opted for the latter. Looks more like a stupid big decision.Good luck to him. He will need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the fracture itself, for example, with a bit of cortizone, basketball players can play without much duress. Sometimes fractures heal quickly for some players, if it is not too bad.

Basketballers do exert a lot - they run up and down the court a lot of times, and when they jump they exert a lot on their legs when they land.
    In a pro game, you do not get to relax in basketball. Having played both games, basketball is more strenous (you have to play hard on your opponents with a lot of pushing and muscling on each other whereas in badminton, you get a slow pace game sometimes, like net plays).

As for that 'stupid big decision' that you mentioned, well, you cannot tell because you are not him --- he knows his own condition. He might be already healed. I always respect that a player knows best when it is good to rest or play.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by X Ball
    It depends on the fracture itself, for example, with a bit of cortizone, basketball players can play without much duress. Sometimes fractures heal quickly for some players, if it is not too bad.

Basketballers do exert a lot - they run up and down the court a lot of times, and when they jump they exert a lot on their legs when they land.
    In a pro game, you do not get to relax in basketball. Having played both games, basketball is more strenous (you have to play hard on your opponents with a lot of pushing and muscling on each other whereas in badminton, you get a slow pace game sometimes, like net plays).

As for that 'stupid big decision' that you mentioned, well, you cannot tell because you are not him --- he knows his own condition. He might be already healed. I always respect that a player knows best when it is good to rest or play.
    Thank you for clarifying.It's more reassuring now. All the best to LCW. Hope he'll be injury-free for 2007.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7