Is Bao chun lai cheating?? Chen Hong got red handed cheating!!!

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by eagle, Dec 9, 2006.

1. eagle

eagle Regular Member

[​IMG]:mad:I saw the umpire warning Bao for tampering with the shuttle in the game with Taufik in the Asian games 2006. It's a shame to cheat some how and try to win when he is down. I think tampering with the shuttle is a major offence and should be punished by banning for few international tournaments. In some of the other sports that's what will be done if you caught cheating.

Earlier I saw Chen Hong was also clearly cheating by crushing the shuttle near the top thread to make it fly faster in the game with Taufik in the 2006 china invitational world cup.Evidence: look at the Second game after CH put the shuttle in the net(point is 18:12 in TH leading) collected it turned towards the audience crushed the shuttle and then returned to Taufik.
    Smart taufik know the cheating trick of Chen hong changes the shuttle. This incidence the umpire couldn't catch it, but the video camera caught it.
    http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/931/vlcsnap368814eu2.png
    Watch the video and you guys decide yourself.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?9qvp764qctp
    Link from BCforum:http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37438&highlight=2006+world+cup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 eagle, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    so what happened

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

wow, he does look like he's squeezing that shuttle quick strongly.
    i need to have a look at the video first though.

4. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

A LOT of Peopel in chinese national team do this. Lin dan of course, followed by a few mens' , mixed doubles pairs from china i saw do this. They of couse got warnings time to time, but from what i see they do it subtely (ex when they pick up and they bend over to pick shuttle, they quickly did something to the feathers as if they were shredding the tips or something) so people cant really tell. I saw in zheng/guo vs lee/han match in finals, lee complained that they did something to the birdie. Now, bao and chen does this. Disappointed at them

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

18:12 is 33 minutes into the video

I don't think that was cheating. I think he was seeing how stiff the feathers were. I often do that myself, even if the feathers look ok, sometimes the shafts of the feathers lose their rigidity and squeezing the shuttle tells you how stiff they still are.
    Cheating by altering the shuttle is usually done on your own serve, because otherwise you have to give the shuttle to your opponent and they get to look at it and choose to change it if they want.

6. ssuly

ssuly Regular Member

student
    I can't agree more with u.:D

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I think if you are just checking the shuttle, you can do it by facing the other player or ref. Also, if the other player was not paying attention, he might not check the shuttle and served out the next time. Chinese players are good, they should not use these tactics to gain advantage.

8. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I'm inclined to agree.

When I know the bird is slow by everyone's standards, and don't think the other person will mind, I'll give it a quick squeeze with my back turned. However, if I know the bird is definitely slow and want to get in the other player's head, I'll do it where they can see it. I know then they'll change the bird the next rally, but at least for this one they're a little unsure of the speed/mad at me.

I guess that makes me a cheater, heh.

9. eagle

eagle Regular Member

I am sorry I have to disagree with your viewpoint neil

It was clearly cheating, why can't he do it with facing the opponent or the judge(like silentheart wrote) or just ask to change it after checking, why would he return it to Taufik.

I beleive, In case the opponent missed checking the shuttle before serving, it can surely alter the shuttle trajectory which will give advantage to the cheater(reciever). Like for example, if it was a long serve it(squeezed shuttle) can go out compared to normal shuttle which might fall in.

Look at the video not once he has done that, I have to look when was it done again: ofcourse those are the two instances which was caught on the camera...you never know howmany times he really did it in the match.

Lack of sincere vigilance by judges and punishement lets them do this dirty trick time and time again.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think any testing or adjusting (except smoothing out the fluff up feathers) of the shuttle is wrong and unethical. If the shuttle is too slow or fast, change it, especially at tournament level where the shuttles are free. However, it is hard to tell what and why CH did that, he want to speed up the shuttle? I don't think so as as TH change that shuttle in question, served, and CH slam back a fast smash winner on TH.

11. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    hmmm.....

im pretty sure that he's not cheating. it's possibily, but not probable. it's just a picture, and pictures have many interpretations. also, we dont know what is really going on, so it's kind of hard for us to judge.

12. drifterXL

drifterXL Regular Member

i completely agree that this trick is wrong, but i have to point out you cannot change the shuttle all the time. a recent match, game 1 Lin Dan vs Taufik asian games 2006, the umpire started to question lin dan everytime he wanted to change it. after a few changes, he just shook his head saying he doesnt need to change it.

13. jotaro

jotaro Regular Member

The picture does not tell the truth which is why you need to download the movie from the link. I said CH's cheating, period.

14. eagle

eagle Regular Member

The IBF laws say illegal

CH probably trying to speed up the shuttle, so when he gets a lift from TH, his smash will make the squeezed shuttle fly faster than the normal shuttle, so TH can't return it.

Any way what CH did is illegal in Tournament play: Here are some reference:

LAWS OF BADMINTON
    16.6 A player shall not:
    16.6.2 deliberately modify or damage the shuttle in order to change its speed or its flight;

APPENDIX 4
    PLAYERS’ CODE OF CONDUCT
    4.12 Abuse of shuttle
    4.12.2 Deliberately tampering with the shuttle to affect its flight or speed.

I think IBF should evaluate matches if one of the player complains of this misconduct, by reviewing the video. Also it will be good if the service judge as well match judge are given instructions, to look for this offence during match play. The match umpire CHANTARAPAICHIT Pipat (THA) did a good job by warning Bao chun lai during the asian games QF match between him and Taufik.

Fair play is vital for the game and these malpractices should be weeded out at International level, especially the standard to be followed should be the highest.

15. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    they should implement player conduct judges, just like linesmen who check for the in and out, these judges monitor the players and look for any weird or susicious actions, but having these will be more trouble if the judges make controversial decisions

16. Ai Mei

Ai Mei Regular Member

Student in a High School
    i'm confused........huh i hope it was wrong....no~~ i dont believe bao did it.....

17. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Correct me if I am wrong. I understand Chen Hong requires the shuttle to be fast to suit his style of play (attacking all the time) but for Bao CL, doesn't his style of play require a slower shuttle as he is always on the defensive. Why would he tamper with shuttle and try to make it faster, especially when he is playing Taufik who happen to have a very powerful smash. :confused:

18. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    just because YOU say something doesnt mean it's true. :D unless you get conclusive evidence (that video/picture is NOT conclusive) there is no way to prove CH is cheating.

remember, innocent until proven guilty.

19. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    I couldn't agree more!

20. eagle

eagle Regular Member

Altering the shuttle during the match breaches the code of conduct and laws of the game. Just remember friends it's not our local gym/ club play. At international level all these are illegal offences, especially doing it hiding with back to the opponent and the match referee.;)