User Tag List

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY
    Because :
    - his determination to win disappeared probably LD's main goal is OG/08 not AG/06.
    - huge pressure from LYB after almost all his compatriots have lost
    - boring against TH, thrice in a week
    - maybe LD want to make little charity here, delivering GOLD for INA (1 gold out from CHN contingent is not a big deal because CHN's #1 position is certainly unstoppable at medal-standing meanwhile 1 gold adding for INA is very2 meaningful). LOL, just joking!
    Hehehe, yr suggestion is kinda interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    ..i noticed this esp. when the score was 17-20 with LinDan 1 pt away from forcing a rubber set and Taufik made it 18-20..After that it seemed like Taufik all of a sudden "woke up" and increased the pace of the rallies while LinDan was just "reacting/being on the defensive" on the subsequent pts, probably expecting Taufik to make an error or get one of those easy pts, rather than LD "forcing" the action on Taufik...The weird thing i noticed was the last pt, when Taufik returned LD's shot with a net shot and then LD just simply tapped it over, for the easy kill...It's like LD said to himself, knowing well Taufik was in the front, "OK, here's one for you, another net return from me, kill it or we'll go to the 3rd set"... ..
    are you suggesting that LD intentionally gave away the match?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the fact that Taufik did not allow LD to play his game(smash) and good defense resulted in LD being frustrated, and hence lost in 2 straight games...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maa2003
    LYB n TH .......

this is a nice pic haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Krisna
    This is Taufik's SECOND AG gold... He got his first one in 2002 in Busan... Taufik has been around for a long time...
    oh yeah TH is good haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maa2003
    thanks God ........

this is another good pic is this pic taken after he won

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    ..underestimated Taufik??..hmm, so that does translate to LinDan basically "gave away" the title to Taufik??..
    when he was leading 20-17 in the 2nd game of course he didn't think TH could get it back and win 22-20 he didn't "give away" the title to TH la haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lin dan has never had a psycological advantage over taufik IMO, unlike over LCW, Peter Gade or LHI.

for some reasons, Taufik caught Lin Dan by surprise in the opening game. did Taufik play exceptionally well? no, i'd say he was at 80% of his top form. then perhaps Lin Dan, LYB & Co. did not really respect Taufik as a worthwhile opponent.

to me, Lin Dan looked timid in front of Taufik when Taufik established a quick and huge lead in the opening game, which reminded me of the first game of the 2005 WC final. Lin Dan looked at a total loss and kept looking back to LYB & Co. for some psycological support. he was like a kid who needed help from daddy to coupe with the situation.

again, at the end of the second game, i'd say the game could go either way as we all believe that Lin Dan could wear Taufik off in the third game but it never happened.

Lin Dan is the king of opens, nothing more than that. Taufik is a lethal collector of biennial (WC) or tetra-ennial titles (i.e. Olympic and Asian Games). i seriously doubt if Lin Dan will win the 2008 Olympic Gold. it's an opportunity once in your life time (after LD wasted once in Athens) and you do get nervous, don't you? and may not perform normally therefore as your big-event record shows.

predicting things in badminton two years in advance is as impossible as predicting the global weather two weeks in advance. it's simply impossible. (i am predicting, ain't i :-D)

Lin Dan will win more big titles, Taufik will win more bigger titles. who is better? it depends on how you look at it. Do you value 5 masters series titles more than one Wimbledon title? You have your say. A masters series title isn't any easier to get than a wimbledon title, it is just worth less.

Lin Dan and Taufik are simply two different types of players and can't achieve what each other has achieved or will achieve: more open titles vs more WC/OG/AG titles. both have their own merits.

P.S. i remember someone said that Taufik was playing more actively as he played more overhead than backhand shots in the game. I tend to disagree. Taufik has the best backhand in the world, his backhand isn't a weakness to attack at all. notice when he serves at even points, i.e. from the right half of the court, he serves to the mid- to outside corner instead of inside corner, waiting for a return to his backhand from the opponent. it is his gameplay.
    Last edited by franxon; 12-11-2006 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zqloy
    I think he's Lee Dong Soo right?
    Yes, He is Lee Dong Soo.
    He already retired.
    He is married by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

the main difference this time, like in 05 WC and 04 OG, is the mental aspect between TH and LD. The comment by quistor about TH serving preferentially to LD's backhand side and/or his body is a correct observation but... imo, shouldn't or doesn't makes much difference in singles low serves. These are pros, not bumbling beginners. Surely a soft low serve can be easily handled by these 2 pros. TH is just exploiting the odds to his advantage, no matter how tiny the odd it would be. I bet TH served the same way to LD at JO, AG qualifer, and AG team event AND TH lost to LD in all these encounterment.

The mental concentration at key critical moment is the main difference. This MATCH deciding moment is when LD leading 20-17 after TH's shot was just millimeter out of the back line. Instead of feeling of depress, TH increase focus and determnation, while LD play relax (ie no urgency) thinking TH just need to make an error in the next 2 rally LD would win the 2nd set. If LD had increased focus and determination like TH at this critical juncture, and win the 2nd, the odd TH winning the 3rd set is less than 50%. The mental lapse of LD at 20-17 was the key match determining mistake made by LD.

Analogy:
    TH win big events because he really prepare for it, just like a final exam while LD wins lotta Opens, like acing all the mid term exams. LD see the big events like another mid term to write while TH willing to sacriface mid term exams score to study for the big one. Both have their merit like what franxon had said. Who is the best student, the one who ace all his mid terms and come second in the annual final exam or the student rarely show up for midterms or do poorly in midterms but ace the final exam?
    Last edited by cooler; 12-11-2006 at 04:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id go for acing the final exam.. student hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    Analogy:
    TH win big events because he really prepare for it, just like a final exam while LD wins lotta Opens, like acing all the mid term exams. LD see the big events like another mid term to write while TH willing to sacriface mid term exams score to study for the big one. Both have their merit like what franxon had said. Who is the best student, the one who ace all his mid terms and come second in the annual final exam or the student rarely show up for midterms or do poorly in midterms but ace the final exam?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for those we said LD underestimate TH, I totally disagreed.
    How can LD underestimate TH when both their last 2 games before the final went to 3 sets?

Unless you are a moron then you will underestimate an opponent.
    Not in this 21 scoring system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMichael
    Id go for acing the final exam.. student hehehehe
    because your parents gonna give u a big reward? (well, surely less than 51k)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because your parents gonna give u a big reward? (well, surely less than 51k)
    Never really had big rewards due to acing exams... its just the thrill of beating everyone else when they think you dont stand a chance of doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007
    Unless you are a moron then you will underestimate an opponent.
    then every and each one of the badminton players has been such a moron many times, including LD and TH.

underestimating your opponent is not something that comes out from one's mouth but what one does every second on the court against one's opponent. LD was not well prepared for the game and was not 100% focused on the court. neither was TH. but LD's loss of concentration turned out to be lethal this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the main difference this time, like in 05 WC and 04 OG, is the mental aspect between TH and LD.

Analogy:
    would you like to elaborate a bit more on the mental aspect difference?

i like your analogy of mid-term and final exams. Open titles are not easier to get than Olympics or WC technically. same good players, same hard battles, same number of rounds of knock outs to reach the podium. but, different mental pressure. this is what seperates the great players from the good.

another analogy to NBA:

Lin Dan is second to none in the regular season after 82 matches. Taufik gotta fight his ass off for a seat in the playoffs but he wins The Finals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by franxon

Lin Dan will win more big titles, Taufik will win more bigger titles. who is better? it depends on how you look at it. Do you value 5 masters series titles more than one Wimbledon title? You have your say. A masters series title isn't any easier to get than a wimbledon title, it is just worth less.
    does it mean that LD + TH = Roger Federer in Tennis?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast