Who is the Biggest Loser in Asian Games?

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by ants, Dec 10, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    In your opinion pls. No cursing or mocking in here. If not the thread will be closed.

2. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

No one particular in mind. Hafiz maybe? Leadin 19-9 and yet he gave the match away to LHI......

3. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Hafiz... for having 20-9, and lost 13 points in a row... but I won't call him a "loser", but the "most entertaining player" to watch in any badminton match, for how often would you see such an incident... lost an 11 match point advantage and then lost the game... I wish I could watch that match over and over again...:p

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    1st Place : Li Yong Bo
    =====================
    a) WS :- For getting kicked in the groin by the hong Kong ladies.

b) MS :- For snubbing Chen Hong (Who's on top form, + Taufik slayer in WC2006) and losing the MS title

c) MD :- for going home without a medal (individual event)

d) Overall :- He probabaly did not reach the target promised to China's Sports Council. Is he gonna get smoked like grass???

a close 2nd place : Hafiz Hashim & co.
    ===================================
    for having an extremely uninspiring performance televised for the entire nation and others to watch.

TBBMBB(N)

5. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

The biggest loser will be LYB coz his winning weapons Lin Dan, Bao C L, Zhang Ning, XXF and Cai/Fu all ceased fire in the individual events.

6. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Upper management did not give LYB any target at all in Asian games, as it is not that important to China's overall performance in Asian games as it is to other countrys... as long as the result is not a "0", LYB is more than safe as head coach of China.

Afterall, China got 4 out of 7... and Malaysia, Indo only have 1 each... how can you say LYB is a loser of this Asian games... He didn't clean sweep all the golds, and now he is a loser???

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    jus saw a pic on the newspaper LYB scolding XXF....he looks mad

8. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

No, its just that out of the 4 newly crowned world champion, mens doubles is "medalless", women singles pathetically got slayed by HK ladies, and LD loses as the favourite :p

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Well i'm very surprised that China Sports does not give China Badminton a specific target. Are you sure about your info????

China may be the biggest in the Badminton World, but badminton may not be the biggest sport in China. My understanding is that China Badminton is always under pressure to produce great great results to ensure their chunk of the national development fund isn't redirected to other sports instead.

It happens in every country. Even Canada :D

10. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I personal think should be the KOREAN TEAM, Cos they failed to defend the MEN TEAM gold, and they lost almost all their individual event including WOMEN TEAM and individuals and mixed......:crying: The whole team(men+women) only win a silver and three bronde, :crying: what happened to KOR????:confused:

11. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Words directly from LYB's own mouth.:p

12. bzhang1108

bzhang1108 Regular Member

the best result China got in previous Asian games is 3 golds. This time they got 4 golds. So LYB is definitely OK. Do not "worry" for him. I actually do not understand why so many people here always target at LYB. I know, I know, he has his shortcommings, but everyone has their owns. He is a person, not a saint. Under his leadership, Chinese badminton team has become the strongest one in the world now. Do you know how much hard work he has done for this? Come on, guys. show him some respect he absolutely deserve!

13. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    Exactly... the guy has accomplished so much more than any other head coaches in other countries even China. Like I always say, if LYB were to decide to leave China and coach somewhere else... there will be a list of countries begging him to go over...:p:D:D:D

14. rudy6713

rudy6713 Regular Member

China team or LYB is not the biggest loser..
    I agreed that Korean team has lost many medal since last time they hosted...

I have to say Koprean Team is the biggest loser.....
    China is doing well...eventhough they wanted to clean sweep all medals...

For Bananaboy...from south Morning Post ( HK newspaper)a while ago...China targetted " CLEAN SWEEP' for Asian games as well as Olympic 2008...

15. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Wong Mew Choo is a good candidate.

She played well during the team event - defeating Indo's 1st single and almost beating Zhang Ning. Despite her excellent performance, Malaysia still finished last in the Group Team event during the round robin play.

In the individual events, she was drawn to meet Wang Chen in the Quarter Finals. Having defeated Wang Chen in their previous encounter, she probably would feel very confident and pumped up if she gets to play her again in the Quarters - especially considering how well she did against Zhang Ning. Unfortunately, she lost in the Round of 16 before getting the chance to meet Wang Chen.

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    On sheer accomplishment, LYB is successful. But then China has a huge pool of talent to choose from. It doesn't require a lot of coaching to win WS, WD since there is no competition anyway. XD, only INA, UK and Denmark can provide resistance. As for MS, if tournament allows 3-4 players per team, chances of >1 China player ended in SF is high possibility, then LYB can game-fixed to ensure his strongest player will be in the final and the non-chinese player, even if make it to the final, would be so tired out in the finals. If LYB can make champions out of weaker nations, like Rexy in MAS or Tan Ker did for MD in Korea, I would admire him.

17. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Well i don't think that Korea is the biggest losser. Comparing the team that participated in 2002 and 2006, Korea is the most 'weakened team' with having their most established players retiring from the sport effectively.

Korea did not get to field their 'superpower' team of 2002. What they sent was mostly unestablished 'fresh faces' including the very promising Lee yong Dea who's only 18 years of age to lead Korea's MD charge.

Even with this 'green' team, Korea did absolutely fantastic to clinch the Team Silver (Much to Malaysia's expense!!!) along with 1 bronze each for MS, MD, WS and WD. so thats 1 Silver and 4 Bronze (+ 1 more bronze from Women Team maybe???). Event, please correct me if i'm wrong.

So, my point is we have to judge how well a nation did by their current batch of players / team and not by a result of 4 years ago.

18. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You may want to add Misbun Sidek to your "close 2nd place"...lol.[​IMG]

19. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

for me, it's our XD pair Nova/Butet.

PBSI should split this pair really soon. Maybe Butet/Alvent will make a better XD pair than Nova/Butet.

20. indra

indra Regular Member

The China's great wall is going to fall down soon...ASIAN GAMES is the beginning....of their fall