Should i?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ionoo, Dec 10, 2006.

1. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I just recently joined the school badminton team and am going to get a new racket of my choice for my birthday. Being that i just started badminton I am unsure if I should get this racket.
    http://www.badmintonalley.com/Wilson_Vision_8_Classic_p/racket-wilson-v8-classic.htm The light as a feather but strong and powerful as a prized fighter line is appealing
    Main Problem the intermediate/advanced words trouble me
    I'm still improving and i play about 7 hours a week outside of school. I read that the stiffness factor of the racket depends on the players strength so I do wrist curls to improve my lower arm strength. 10 lb dumbells reverse wcs 25 reps 40 sets, wcs 50 reps 20 sets (currently still improving). I know that the skill level of the player is also a factor so this leads me to another question. What classifies a player as a beginner/intermediate/advance?
    If I shouldn't get this racket what would you guys recommend. I would consider myself an offensive player but what do i know i just joined the team about 2 months ago.

2. kimchipride

kimchipride Regular Member

Student (High School Sophomore)
    Based on my experience, I wouldn't buy a Wilson racket for badminton becauase they are a bit too heavy. But, I'm still new to badminton so I wouldn't completely know.

3. cocobee

cocobee Regular Member

I owned one Wilson hypercarbon racquet (forget the model already) b4, the price is RM189 (about USD47), and i felt very regret after using it for a few times, because it's not even comparable to my old Yonex Aerotus 55. Then I quickly sell it off and get back Yonex again. Anyway some people may find wilson brand good to use, but i think wilson brand is better at tennis racquets.

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Wilson racquets aren't great in my experience, but my friend is sponsored by them and doesn't have much of a complaint. He seems like them.

It's probably better than almost anything else you're going to get at that price. Keep in mind that, whatever you choose to get, a racquet is not going to make a significant different in your games... skill and training will do that.

5. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    forget wilson if you play badminton, theres no affinity between wilson and badminton.
    well if i were to put it simply, wilson cant make good badminton rackets

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    With my own observation, I think the main problem for Wilson (especially the V series) is the durability. Farily a large percentage of the rackets were broken at the end. Therefore, if you tend to mis-hit or playing doubles (where higher chance to get a clash), then, try to stay away from Wilson V series. :eek:

7. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Try a $50-$70 Yonex, Victor, Kason or perhaps SOTX?

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

How about ask your friend (or make some friend) on the team and borrow the racquet before you buy.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Definitely agree on the well known non-Yonex part. ;)

10. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    To which were you referring to: Victor, Kason, or SOTX?

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    All 3 are reputable manufactures, others you might want to include are Yangyang, BlackKnight, Winex, Forza, and quite a few others.

12. alact

alact Regular Member

i haven't tried any of those other mention except for SOTX. and i can tell you Woven-9 is one of the better raquet i've tried.

13. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

It came today it feels better than the walmart racket rofl. So, durability seems to be a major issue I'm seeing in the posts so will the racket stay alive long. As long as i dont clash with another racket? or is the durability so crappy that it will wither and break from simply clearing smashing etc =/

14. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Just becareful to not clash or mishit. The tension is also another issue in determining the durability of a racket. If you keep it in the low 20's and avoid clashes then it should last you for the season, as long as you have a decent stringer at least. Out of curiosity what school do u go to?

15. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

Wilson's frame have poorer duralibilty than other racket.I won't advise it if you intend to go on higher tension and you are a person who clash/mishit easily.

and for the price of wilson's racket is selling,there are much better choice out there like apacs,proace,fleet..etc
    Even the mid-range yonex is better imo

16. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

17. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    Mishit is when you hit the birdie on the frame or shaft.

18. Colin72

Colin72 Regular Member

e-badmintonusa.com has some excellent rackets.

With the fact your just starting in mind, I would strongly suggest not only worrying about your racket, but most of all your shoes.

Shoes in my opinion are #1, the racket can wait.

Kason has some very nice rackets, rather low prices aswell.

I'd also suggest starting out with a racket of Medium shaft stiffness, and perhaps upgrade as you become more advanced if possible?

SOTX Woven 8 to me seems to be an awesome overall racket.

Although everyone always judges rackets depending on weight, don't be afraid to buy a racket even if it does weigh 91 grams. Some people, (like myself) can't play 100% to the best of their ability if the racket is to light.

Your best bet would be to try out a racket (friends, local shops) before buying it.

If you need any tips, just PM me.

19. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Where would i buy this sotx woven 8 places i've checked online are sold out and i live in CA, US do you know any place close? It's been about 2-3 months now. I read that people injure their arm from or wrist from using the wrong racket... how is that possible.. if you swing couple times shouldn't you know if the racket is too heavy or something for you? Whenever i just clear in the school with the school racket (HL brand ) the birdie reaches the wall pretty frequently I kinda have to hold back otherwise it will keep hitting the wall. The clears are from like the baseline of the back court. Could it possibly be the rackets mechanics attributing to this? I'm not sure if its head-heavy or not because whenever I hold rackets they all feel the same its just the swing speed that differs because of the weight differences. So they injure themselves because they have weak forearm strength? If so how do i know if i have weak or strong forearm strength? I do wrsit curls, jump roping etc to improve my physical ability daily. I play outside of school everyday as the schools gym is taken by volleyball and basketball so until badminton season starts we have to hope they dont use the gym.

20. Colin72

Colin72 Regular Member

Have you tried Google searches?

Also, quite often in the badmintoncentral forums buy & sell section people tend to have huge racket clearouts. Although, it's difficult for me to say where you can get a racket for your location...I live in Canada, you live in USA.

Sorry I can't help more on finding you a racket in your area.

Injuries shouldn't and won't occur if proper swing techniques are used. I think what you read might have been aimed more towards people who already have or have had wrist injuries in the past. School rackets aren't normally of highest quality, as they're bought in huge amounts, and purchased for very little. Although, how does the school rackets feel to you? Are they to heavy for your liking?

Do you prefer receiving the birdie, or more just smashing?

Starting off with a racket with medium flex is probably best, as it does part of the job for you. Best suited for beginners. Personally, I still like to use a medium stiff to stiff racket, I just like the feel.

Do any of your friends have rackets that you could maybe borrow for a weekend, and play with for an hour or so?

In the meantime, practice footwork, swinging a racket at a birdie isn't the game of badminton in its entirety. There are some excellent examples of this on video hosting websites such as Youtube.com

Like always, if you need anymore help, I'd be more than happy.