User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow additional tension in a 4 knots stringing

    How much additional tension should be applied in a 4 knots stringing process, in the strings that will have the knots (the finish and the starter knot - for the cross)?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vertical: X kg force of your preference
    Horizontal: X (1+10%) kg force

    Quote Originally Posted by gavias
    How much additional tension should be applied in a 4 knots stringing process, in the strings that will have the knots (the finish and the starter knot - for the cross)?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am not refering to the diference between the mains and the crosses. I am refering to the addional tension that should be applied to the strings that will have the knots, because this strings always loose same tension.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    On my drop-weight machine, I add 10% to 30% over tension. You also need a string puller to help you reduce the amount of tension lost during the tying knot process.

    Quote Originally Posted by gavias
    I am not refering to the diference between the mains and the crosses. I am refering to the addional tension that should be applied to the strings that will have the knots, because this strings always loose same tension.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    From what my what my local store does is that the string ,that will also have the knots is to be pulled at the same tention.

  6. #6
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,273
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I go 2 or 3 lbs. more up to 33lbs. If it's above 33lbs. on the last cross string, I do not.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    No over tension on the last cross ? You get to crank it up to 38 lbs for the tie off .

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I go 2 or 3 lbs. more up to 33lbs. If it's above 33lbs. on the last cross string, I do not.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gavias
    How much additional tension should be applied in a 4 knots stringing process, in the strings that will have the knots (the finish and the starter knot - for the cross)?
    There are various ways to make up the loss of tension, but I don't think there's a difference in btw 2 vs. 4 knots.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    There are various ways to make up the loss of tension, but I don't think there's a difference in btw 2 vs. 4 knots.
    Here is one way you can check on areas of potential tension loss : the tension of the first and last cross strings should be equally taut. The same applies to the two extreme side main strings. Two-knot stringing seems to suffer from either frame distortion (when stringing mains from one extreme side to the other, instead of from the middle) or uneven tension of the extreme side strings when stringing mains from the middle (one side of the extreme side main string is looser than the other side) which will actuall put the frame under stress.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Here is one way you can check on areas of potential tension loss : the tension of the first and last cross strings should be equally taut. The same applies to the two extreme side main strings. Two-knot stringing seems to suffer from either frame distortion (when stringing mains from one extreme side to the other, instead of from the middle) or uneven tension of the extreme side strings when stringing mains from the middle (one side of the extreme side main string is looser than the other side) which will actuall put the frame under stress.
    Good point and I agree.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hey guys, I have a question - BG80. If I pull the knot too tight it just snaps. I am using a single loop (half hitch) which I pull out from the grommet, and using a clamp, tighten it on the way back in. Then I over tie it to make the knot too fat for the grommet. I was shown this method - should I try differently?

    On other strings I tend to get the two sides pretty close in tension but BG80 and sometimes the Ti stuff tends to break.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Have you tried the double half hitch?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I thought that would make it too hard to pull it tight but I'll have a go I suppose. I might go two peice stringing from now on anyway. Not a lot of extra work.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Russki Bear
    Hey guys, I have a question - BG80. If I pull the knot too tight it just snaps. I am using a single loop (half hitch) which I pull out from the grommet, and using a clamp, tighten it on the way back in. Then I over tie it to make the knot too fat for the grommet. I was shown this method - should I try differently?

    On other strings I tend to get the two sides pretty close in tension but BG80 and sometimes the Ti stuff tends to break.
    The sliver of vectran in BG80 and BG85 and the rest of the multifilaments have different creep properties. This makes it a bit less able to withstand the tremendous load and stress when pulling the first cross string to tension the starting knot. You can solve this by using lower tensions or use only a real starting knot and not a half hitch or a double half hitch as a starting knot.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh no I don't mean the starting knot, the finishing knot. I kinda live in a badminton vacuum area and taught myself to string. I think I do a pretty good job in the end, except for these rough edges which need to be ironed out.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can pre-stretch the two main strings just before the tie off. Darthhowie witnessed this method. I use a drop-weight machine and I just leave the strings in the tension jaw for 3 to 5 minutes.

    I also use a single half-hitch knot to tighten but for finishing I add a pro knot.

    Tightening the single half-hitch knot is very tricky. As you said, too much tension and the string pops. Controlling the amount of drop (drop-weight machine) is crucial. Knowing when to stop pulling is all by observation, feel, type of string and experience.

    You can also tighten the pro knot. Once again, you have to know when to stop.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...t=22331&page=7

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...t=22331&page=8

    Quote Originally Posted by Russki Bear
    Oh no I don't mean the starting knot, the finishing knot. I kinda live in a badminton vacuum area and taught myself to string. I think I do a pretty good job in the end, except for these rough edges which need to be ironed out.
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 01-30-2007 at 12:20 AM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ah thanks a heap guys, that is excellent Pete. I did search for knots but I didn't know exactly what I was after. I will study the photos and your descriptions and see if I can improve what I do. I have already picked up a few ways in which my way might be a little less than optimal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mx80 stringing 2 knots or 4 knots?
    By hypadunkz in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 1
    : 02-24-2012, 08:14 PM
  2. Useful additional tools for new stringing machine?
    By blableblibloblu in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 4
    : 02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
  3. 4 knots stringing in SG, high tension
    By 3radius in forum Market Place
    Replies: 0
    : 09-28-2007, 03:12 AM
  4. Additional tension for the knots: NO
    By gavias in forum Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools
    Replies: 4
    : 03-20-2007, 09:59 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    : 12-21-2006, 03:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •