15th Asian Games/Badminton: Rexy breathes easy after victory

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by Malaysianfan, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

15th Asian Games/Badminton: Rexy breathes easy after victory

11 Dec 2006(New straits Times)

REXY Mainaky allowed himself some breathing space yesterday from the punishing pace he has set since assuming the post of national doubles coach last August.

After all, some 12 hours earlier, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong had ended a 36-year wait for Asian Games badminton gold but the pressure, from within and outside Malaysia for various reasons, including a bid by the Indonesian media for one of their legends to return home and take charge of the doubles pairs there, will soon be back.

But Rexy had this to say.

"Firstly, I am glad Kien Keat-Boon Heong won gold. I knew they have the talent and thankfully, they saw it through.

"After they qualified for the final, I knew that they had a chance if they could maintain the style of play they utilised against (world champions) Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng (in the quarter-finals) and Luluk (Hadiyanto)-Alvent (Yulianto).

"Once they started aggressively, I knew they would win gold.

"But I want them to remember that defending their status is a different thing altogether. Kien Keat-Boon Heong have the makings of a great pair but they must stay level-headed and remain focused.

"In fact, this is a problem with all the Malaysian pairs. They lose focus easily and this is the major reason why they lack consistency.

"This has a lot to do with self-discipline. Training is where all the hard work is done and if the right attitude is not there, then we are fighting a lost cause. If a player takes it easy in a training match, whereby trailing 0-5 is not a problem, it becomes a habit even in tournaments.

"Our players have this problem.

"People say Taufik (Hidayat) has disciplinary problems but I have known him since he was 14. We can see that when it comes to team events, Taufik plays differently and this is probably because he feels that as a team, it will be difficult to win.

"But in an individual event, especially major tournaments, Taufik delivers. He has the discipline but we only don't see it.

"I hope that Kien Keat-Boon Heong’s win in Doha will result in a change in the other pairs.

"There must be healthy competition for it will only benefit all the pairs. And there must also be a promise from the players to the coaches, one that they must keep.

"Kien Keat-Boon Heong have promised to work hard on returning to Malaysia but saying it here and actually doing it are two different things.

"There will be outside influences and other lures but they must be above all that. Winning here is good but this should only be the start.

"The target should be the Olympics and all I ask for is support from all quarters.

"Let the coaches and players work. We have our targets and if I fail to deliver, I will tender my resignation.

"I am a professional. Already, the Indonesian media has spoken to me about how they are going to pressure the authorities back home to hire me as the doubles coach.

"There has also been an approach about me returning to England but I have spoken to my wife and she is happy in Malaysia.

"But there are still some issues that I need to discuss with BAM upon returning but Kien Keat-Boon Heong have shown that Malaysia can win titles and I, as a professional, am determined to help them and the other pairs to the best of my ability."

2. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

His wife loves Malaysia. Good!

3. nwy5633

nwy5633 Regular Member

Student
    look like rexy hav some decision to make...
    but i think he will stay...
    if bam can giv wat he want..
    hope bam won't do a stupid decision...

4. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    I think so too :D since now "his" players got a AG Gold :D ;) lol :)

5. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Rexy is the man !!! He is comparable to Pat Riley of the NBA !