Is ChongWei another version of WCH, Ong EweHock??

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by the_way, Dec 10, 2006.

1. the_way

the_way Regular Member

I am just wondering....will chong wei remains as msian no1 for at least 5 years..but keep on losing before final stage....or always end up with runner up...

This is the same case that happened to wong choong hann and ong ewe hock.....proceed to many semi and final....but...very rarely win any of them

2. cocobee

cocobee Regular Member

I think Lee Chong Wei has some problem playing in the big tournaments outside Malaysia. May be he need the supportive environment and scream from the crowd to stay in high spirit. He is an offensive player and doesn't have many defensive moves, so he need much stamina to support his attacking style. If he can improve his stamina, fitness and avoid unforced errors (which is the main cause of his failure), he can be the best!

3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    unforced errors are his main enemy.....he has the smashes, angles, great defense..............just that he tends to make errors when he's leading in a game......eg. AE semis vs LD....leading 14-6 and let LD crawl back and win.

4. C L BAO

C L BAO Regular Member

Student
    Yes, and was 12-20 in MAS open but won LD in the end. hahaha...:p:D

5. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

LCW is no WCH and Ong EH. He definitely has more things which they dont hv, which is stamina, excellent footwork and deception. He might not be in his best form recently but its too early to say he couldnt win anything big. Time will tell ;)

6. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya..you are right...He is definitely a great player...Actually,i still believe that he can do a lot of things and i hope that next year he will have a better year...I will continue to support him..

7. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    he is a good player, indeed he didn't have a good year, only won 1 or 2 tournys :)

8. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    now that was good :D :crying: lol :crying: :p

9. ChompChomp

ChompChomp Regular Member

jus my point of view...malaysia player dun have the "look" or "style" a champion has...example lin dan or taufik when then step into the court i will have the "wow i think he look very good, i think he will win" feeling...

so far for malaysia i think only WCH give me that feeling...still cant forget that GREAT MATCH between him and XXZ during WC03

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Ot

one word for that match: grueling

11. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    But there are Malaysian cheer for him in the stadium too in Doha!!maybe tat is not the problem he lost outside M'sia!!HAih.......feel sad when i heard his lost!!his condition not always stable...sometimes it is good but sometimes it opposite!!he stil need to work harder!!GAMBATE Chong Wei!!

12. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

LCW went from not representing his country at 20 to #1 in the world in 4 years. I think he will peak next year or the year after.

13. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Think some of you are being a little to harsh against LCW. If we go back in time to 2003 malaysia had players like Roslin brothers, Lee tseung seng and WCH representing them at WC. At that time BCL and LD was already on the world circuit and actually a few months after WC LD started his impressive winning stream. At that time LCW was quite unknown to us non malaysian badminton fans. And keep in mind that it also took almost 2-3 years for a player like Lin Dan to achieve world class, so does it for LCW, and since 2005 LCW has really improved and you can start to see how Li maos work has payed off. I saw LCW playing in copenhagen in 2003, at that time he played a very defensive game and with the deception he has. At that time he lost to Jonassen cause he played way to defensive. Now Li mao has added some extra pace into him together with lots of offensive weapons. What the young lad needs from what i saw from WC 06 is a little coolness in the last points in every set, which comes with experience, and his major problem which is when he opponent lift the shuttle over LCW to hes deep forhand. Hes VERY vulnerable down there. But keep in mind that hes very young and due to entering stage later than BCL, LD and TH he may be "hungrier" to achieve succes. At the moment we have LD and TH as the favourites in tournaments, but LCW is together with Gade, CJ and BCL just 1 level below and im sure he will improve with time.

14. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

How come i dont hv that feeling b4? :p
    WCH may hv the "look" but he did not hv the extra "it" factor to be a champion. Sorry to say that, but his skills is nth special and footwork is also quite weak.

15. C L BAO

C L BAO Regular Member

Student
    Well maybe that is because you have not seen WCH's great days, have you? it's true that WCH isnt as good as he was before, but it was because of his injury. I think WCH is good. :D WCH is may favourite Malaysia player. LCW loses with a reason behind. That is what my coach (who was Misbun's coach) said to me.

16. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Dude of course i hv :cool:. WCH has amazing fighting spirit which i admire, but his not as efficient footwork prevented him from becoming a great player. And he nvr had good record against chinese players esp XXZ, maybe its his footwork weakness is kinda well known to them already? :eek:

17. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Lee will I believe be a great player: he's got a fantastic armory of killer shots, slice, reverse slice, drops - amazing net play like Taufik, and great speed.

My only misgivings are his physical strength compared to say lin dan or Taufik, he sometimes struggles to dig things out of his forehand corner and his straight smash is quite weak (however, Hendrawan won lots of things with a lightweight smash....). I think it's not a technique thing - he's got fantastic movement - it's just he is so skinny I don't think he's built for power somehow.

He is still the most complete player in terms of his shots in my opinion, even over Taufik, though that's debatable. Certainly makes LD look one-dimensional, I think. And he's got bottle - I loved his comeback win from 13-20 in the Malaysia open! Give him time: with his game he's got plenty of chances yet.

My verdict.. My favourite player by a long way for the current crop. (Maybe because my own game is more Chen Jin than LCW: I got the raw power, but lack the finesse and court coverage. Also am quite fired up on court, and maybe LCW has all the attributes I wish I had!):D

18. ChompChomp

ChompChomp Regular Member

maybe to me he is always the "leader" for malaysia team thus i think he is the one :D

19. C L BAO

C L BAO Regular Member

Student
    LOL..ChompChomp, I always have a special feeling on WCH too. But to me, maybe it's because he has the looks of a leader to the team. HAHA..:D

20. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    funny how did Wong Choon Hahn managed to enter the WC 2003 final... at that time he was my fav player... but now its Lee Chong Wei... hehe...

well, for starters, LCW is, and will never be an WCH or OEH, coz Lee is Lee... having said that, he still has time on his hands to change this and start winning major titles... or else he will be known as one of those nearly-players, which is something not everyone wants... WCH now is playing for fun and OEH is retired.... (anyone knows where and what is he upm 2 nowadays??)