My Right Wrist Is Recovered

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by zth11111, Dec 10, 2006.

1. zth11111

zth11111 New Member

i am sure some of you have the same experience as i have: during or after a serious match, the wrist is suddenly injuried, technically this is periosteum injury. so my hand is hard to work during the next few months. sometime you felt better but it still didn't work when you come to the court, esp when your hand wrist bended over more than 90 degree. this wound bothered me for a long time, till now i paid a visit to herbalist doctor and he offered me some prescriptions, like vulneraries and weired pills. anyway, after several days of resting, i felt my hand wrist is much better now.

but the thing i am worried about is that will this happen again? i assumed that it is probably because of my inproper smashing gestures.

is anyone here have the same experience, please talk about it and correct the gesture if possible.:)

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    That depends on the source of the injury. If it was a traumatic injury, then your chances of re-injury are not incredibly high if you've recovered adequately and done extensive exercises to re-build the strength in the joint.

However, if it's a stress injury and nothing has been done to alleviate the cause of the stress on the joint/muscle/tendon, your risks of re-injury are much, much higher.

If you believe the injury is due to your improper smashing technique, then the best thing would be to correct your technique, if you can. Keep in mind the the wrist does not snap downward while smashing, but makes the move from supination to pronation as the forearm pushes the racquet to contact the bird.

That's really the most I can tell you without more detail, I'm afraid...

3. zth11111

zth11111 New Member

thanks a lot, i think i belong to the second type injury.

the problem is that it's hard to master the skill of smashing without using your wrist snaping downward abruptly. i wil look deep into the pratice you mentioned,"makes the move from supination to pronation as the forearm pushes the racquet to contact the bird".

tonight another match is waiting for me, hopefully i won't get hurt again. and i found that if your opponent's string is tensioned at 25-28, the sound of smashing could really defer your discretion about the direction of the bird.

thank you again

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    That is very true.

Does your clear hurt your wrist? As far as shot structure goes, your smash should be pretty well identical to your clear, except you hit the bird more forward of your body to get that downward angle.

I hope your wrist is fine tonight, as well. Depending on what level you play at, accuracy can do wonders when it comes to smashing... once a certain amount of power has been achieved, you don't really need that much more, depending on your opponent's skill at returning.

Good luck!

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think that Westwood is probably right: your injury has been caused, or at least aggravated, by excessive stress on the wrist during badminton.

The motion you describe, with the wrist flexed up to or beyond 90 degrees, is not useful for power in badminton.

You have come to rely on this motion in smashes, but if you can learn better technique it will help your wrist and improve the power of your smashes.

Fundamentally, this wrist movement (flexion) is feeble. You are trying to use a very weak movement to power a very strong shot, and unsurprisingly you have hurt your wrist (also, I suspect that your smashes are not that fast).

The wrist does move during smashes, but its movement should be relaxed, following the rotation of the arm. If you try to force the movement of the wrist, then you can cause injury.

In my view, you should not deliberately try to use the wrist. Instead, try to coordinate your (relaxed) arm swing with a sudden tightening of your (relaxed) grip. When your grip tightens, your wrist will naturally snap forwards to channel power from the arm.

I do not like the coaching dogma of "it's all in the wrist", for this very reason: many students get the wrong impression and eventually hurt their wrists (or at least, they develop poor technique).

#5 Gollum, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006