Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff
    I'll add:

reaction time

Much higher in badminton. In squash you can let the ball bounce. Even as hard as I pound the ball ( ask Greg Bury) - the better players can dig it off the back wall or boast if it gets past them.
    Greg Bury? As in from MB?

He used to coach me! FANTASTIC guy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bendi36
    squash is much tougher... physically demanding badminton players use the alactic system which is recovery movement basically easy and squash players anaerobic and aerobic... i love badminton more but u cant deny that squash is most prob the hardest sport in the world
    It all depends on your definiton of "hard"..

If you think a marathon run is "harder" than a thai-fighting match, then yes.. But its of course comparing apples and oranges

I think Squash is more similar to long-distance running.. little or no jumping, little explosiveness, long rallies..

Badminton (at top level) on the other hand involves continous explosivensee, jumps, leaps and less shorter rallies/games.
    Personally I think badminton is harder beacuse you have to train for BOTH explosive power and endurance.. In most other sports its all about endurance (marathon type, cycling etc) or explosive power (100m, weight lifting etc). I think squash is more endurance and less power..
    I think Squash is more towards endurance.. and less about power/muscles..

But I suspect a top badminton-player most probably will do more double-skip rope-jumps than a squash player..(and maybe the squash player would do more single-skip jumps ?!?!)

I also think top badmintonplayers would legpress more than same level of squash player, and most probably do more sit-ups!

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep THAT Greg Bury.

He hands me my ass at badminton, but I got him on the squash court ( so far anyways...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such an awesome player. I know he went to the National Training Centre to go pro, but for whatever reason... stopped. Ah well.

Tell him Alana Westwood says hi, perhaps he'll remember me!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's now employed as the programs director at Badminton Alberta.

gbury@badmintonalberta.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, well why would you ask that question on a badminton forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeh squash is more explosive movements but less twisting more turning... definitely u hav to be stronger and fitter to play squash at an elite level than badminton... look at the heart rate difference squash is in the 90's and badminton is in the 80%'s... they've done the tests for alot of sports at the elite and badminton didnt even scratch the top ten while squash ranked one. games go longer in squash and u cant judge the difference on two photos... before u go off u should no im a badminton player and only social squash player

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squash at Number one?

Gotta call BS on that.

And games are NOT longer in squash. The new nines and 11 rally point system make games bloody short. In one hour me and the guys I play (we're at the same level) can get seven to eight games done on the nine point non rally point system IN AN HOUR.

Last time I played badminton, I got four games done in just over and hour and that was the rally 21 system.

Having played both, you'll never convince me squash is harder. Lower level players tend to run much more than higher level. As I got better in squash I noticed that it is far more about shot making than all out running.

The hardest/most taxing game in sport today - Sevens Rugby. I've done triathalons and cross country running. Nothing is as physically draining as sevens.

Next to that would be olympic style wrestling, but then most badminton players likely haven't dabbled in that type of sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well apparantly its the healthies sport as well and badmintons not there either http://www.squashplayer.co.uk/sp_lat...bes_survey.htm ... squash matches are much longer cos the rallies go longer then badminton rallies... u obviously arent a very good player if ur rallies consist of only ten shots before someone hits a winner. THe top players keep retrieving even when out of position similiar to badminton but they are fitter cos theres more court to cover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well squash is faster to... john white has hit the fastest ball in history faster than any shuttle

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a ridiculous discussion

Comparing the fitness demands of different sports is fraught with problems. Typically, people will simply argue in favour of their favourite sport.

Objective comparisons are difficult to make due to the different demands of the sport. One sport may require greater cardiovascular endurace, whereas another may require greater speed or strength. Different sports require different types of movement (for example, jumping is common in badminton, but not in squash).

It should be sufficient to recognise that both squash and badminton, if played at a high level, put extraordinary demands on players' fitness. Top squash players and top badminton players are, without doubt, truly world-class athletes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bendi36
    well squash is faster to... john white has hit the fastest ball in history faster than any shuttle
    How fast was that then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't this the case of 'fanboyism' or something like that?

Camp A : "X box 360 >>> Nintendo Wii"
    Camp B : "Nintendo Wii >>> X box 360"

Etcetera Etcetera Etcetera....

And so this thread has evolved to that.

P.S I think I spelt Etcetera wrongly..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    How fast was that then?
    172 mph.

http://www.squashsite.org.uk/bo/johnwhite.htm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White is considered one of the hardest hitters on tour these days, though that's only around 275 km/h. ( I thought with the way he hits it would be around the 190 MPH range)

That puts is slightly below some of Lin Dan's/Chen Hong best smashes and well below the doubles guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by kmodak
    I regularly play both these sports at the intermediate level.

Yesterday I had a major argument with my friend who plays squash alone.

1. Badminton is quicker and more relexive. Shuttle comes on to you quicly as compared to squash where the opportunity to leave the ball and take it off the recochhete exists
    2. Most of baddy shots are played overhead and hence more taxing
    3. Quicker movements are required for badminton
    It is a different game that deserves respect on its own. I have had freinds try and argue badminton vs. some other sport, and it is really hard to do. I studied Kinesiology for a while, and the "standard" agility tests will not pick up a significant difference between squash and badmiton athletes.

The only test that can be inferred to inorder to determine which atheltes are "better" athletes would be that of a cardiovasicular VO2 max test. I doubt you will find any significant differences between elite badminton and squash athletes.

If you give respect, you MAY get it back in return. If you dis-respect, you WILL get dis-respected in return. It is like compairing apples and oranges, they are both fruit, but they are different.

Good Luck,
    Toddster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff
    White is considered one of the hardest hitters on tour these days, though that's only around 275 km/h. ( I thought with the way he hits it would be around the 190 MPH range)

That puts is slightly below some of Lin Dan's/Chen Hong best smashes and well below the doubles guys.
    u forgot about the plastic smashers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast