Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

squash is full of collisions...

unintentional and OTHERWISE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see the finesse in squash. seems like it's mostly a power game, like tennis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naaaah, squash is definitely not a power game, if it where the players would all be beefcakes like they are in tennis.

also, there simply isn't enough space to develop the sort of power you get in tennis.

to a level power is important, but past a point it actually hampers you. if you look at some of the egyptian players like ashur, the tricks he pulls and the deception and movement definitely show how much finesse squash requires.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask a badminton player and they'll tell you that badminton is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask a squash player and they'll tell you that squash is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask a hockey player and they'll tell you that hockey is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask a tennis player and they'll tell you that tennis is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask a boxer and they'll tell you that boxing is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask your local sports network what the most demanding sport is and they'll come up with a highly biased list of the most popular sports in that country.

Everyone wants to play the most demanding sport, and in the end, it's just a popularity contest. I don't think we'll ever come to an exact answer to any of those questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

**** squash, gooo badminton!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there deception in squash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Ask a badminton player and they'll tell you that badminton is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask a squash player and they'll tell you that squash is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask a hockey player and they'll tell you that hockey is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask a tennis player and they'll tell you that tennis is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask a boxer and they'll tell you that boxing is the most demanding sport in the world.

Ask your local sports network what the most demanding sport is and they'll come up with a highly biased list of the most popular sports in that country.

Everyone wants to play the most demanding sport, and in the end, it's just a popularity contest. I don't think we'll ever come to an exact answer to any of those questions.
    I am a badminton player. All other sports are more demanding but thats mainly because i'm tuned to badminton.

I used to play squash. It is quite demanding due to the racket weight and heavy ball (compare baddy players complaining about a few extra grams in their racket/bp points/plastics are too heavy vs feathers!). There is a steep physicality curve though. If you/opponent are crap/intermediate then squash feels not very demanding. if you're both good/advanced then it is very demanding.
    Badminton is more agility and reflex. I feel opposite to what someone else said in a previous post.
    I find badminton to be like cardio (high intensity light work). and squash more like light weight training.(moderate intensity, medium work)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played both and loved both. Here is my assessment
    1) Squash feels great when you are playing but super boring to watch other people playing especially the pros with their endless wall hugging shots.
    2) Squash is less stressful on the knees
    3) Less chance of breaking the racket with badminton
    4) Accidental hits with the shuttle on the body are a lot lot lot less painful than with the squash ball.
    5) Shuttle does not need to warm up
    6) Squash ball last probably a month++ compared to 1 game with the shuttle.

Seriously I feel badminton is a lot more exciting with the huge variety of shots and techniques. This is just my personal opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bendi36 View Post
    well apparantly its the healthies sport as well and badmintons not there either http://www.squashplayer.co.uk/sp_lat...bes_survey.htm
    That link is to a survey asking the opinions of American personal trainers: not exactly scientific. Probably most of those people have barely even heard of badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole squash vs badminton thing is a joke. Comparing one sport as being 'harder' than another is a complete waste of time. There is no standard badminton level or squash level. The four old ladies I see hitting around at my gym burn less calories than I do getting dressed in the morning. I've competed in numerous sports and compared to how spent I feel after a soccer match or a hockey game both squash and badminton are a walk in the park.

The point isn't which sport is 'harder', the point is that either way you are ahead of the game. At least you're out there burning calories rather than sitting on your couch playing video games or surfing the net.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rogerv2 View Post
    I played both and loved both. Here is my assessment
    1) Squash feels great when you are playing but super boring to watch other people playing especially the pros with their endless wall hugging shots.
    2) Squash is less stressful on the knees
    3) Less chance of breaking the racket with badminton
    4) Accidental hits with the shuttle on the body are a lot lot lot less painful than with the squash ball.
    5) Shuttle does not need to warm up
    6) Squash ball last probably a month++ compared to 1 game with the shuttle.

Seriously I feel badminton is a lot more exciting with the huge variety of shots and techniques. This is just my personal opinion.
    How often does a racket clash occur in squash?

I've never played squash before, but is the ball that hard? So it'll actually hurt if the ball hits me at high speed?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    How often does a racket clash occur in squash?

I've never played squash before, but is the ball that hard? So it'll actually hurt if the ball hits me at high speed?
    why don't you google for squash ball bruise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All you hear from squash players that seem to want to talk about how much tougher it is than badminton, who cares? I would say that squash probably is physically more demanding, though not vastly, but technically badminton is way more varied and requires a far greater range of racket and footwork skills.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do they interfere or complement each other?

Squash requires lock of wrist, and bigger arm swing (I think) than badminton that requires more wrist agility and fingers.

Do we have any good (pro, or close to it) squash players here that also play badminton for a while (1-2 years), or vice versa? Better still if you play (and have trained) both at about the same advanced levels for a (long) while.

I'd like to know if these two sports interfere with each other. E.g. if I play 2 days of squash and 2 days of badminton in a week, would this be better off than if I play only 2 days of badminton but no squash? After all these swings in squash, would your badminton coach start to complain about your bad form? Or after all the wrists, would you be prone to injure your wrist in squash? Do you find your agility or stamina improved when playing the other sport?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe these 2 guys would be best placed to give a good opinion. strange that both the finalists in the WC are Badminton players primarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L797M-CnoFE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the video. Interesting indeed. Still wondering about any personal experience, esp. in the use of the wrist and fingers when transitioning from one to the other, and then back again. Is it effortless (just by using weight of racket as a clue)?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing rec squash at university is very difficult. That was my first time playing squash and my wrist started hurting almost immediately. Squash definitely uses less wrist, considering that I don't wrist-smash or clear in badminton, my swing is more balanced in the arm and fingers. I didn't really hit hard in squash but it still hurt.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5