User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to answer those who asked about the day after lifting the TC 1992, as far as i could remember, it was a holiday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deleted - double posting - sorry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
    to answer those who asked about the day after lifting the TC 1992, as far as i could remember, it was a holiday.
    oic,maybe i forgot lah..opppsss...then wat school i attend that day..,haha..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15 years ago ...a memory that lasted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont forget the history of HH being the AE Champion......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eddy Choong

HI GUYS

Has anyone seen Eddy ChoOng"s oral history?

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxtcJ3S

It is a book published in China and Malaysia. (Chinese edition)

I am in Tainwan. Could anyone tell me how to buy it? many thanks!
    Last edited by sigit1029; 12-12-2009 at 04:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas Cup 1992

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8cLm8PYOO0g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8cLm8PYOO0g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ahh ... the good old days

First of all, I never witnessed the good old days of greats like Eddy Choong, Tan Yee Khan, Ng Boon Bee, Gunalan & co. I only heard stories from my uncle and grandfather. And according to them, our badminton back in those days were top notch. We were up there amongst the best. From stories related to me by my uncle and grandfather, our shuttlers then really played all out for the honour of the country. They werent even paid handsomely. Neither were they awarded fancy titles when they win major honours. It was simply a love for the game and country. Back then we had no proper facilities, foreign coaches or lucrative financial schemes like today as well.

Not only we were good in badminton, we were feared in Asia in football, men's hockey and athletics as well. Today we are the whipping boys.

I was very young when we last won the TC in 92. I remember watching the final with my dad, watching how CSK/SBK fought tooth and nail for the winning point. My take away for that night was FKK's fighting spirit as our 2nd MS. I dare say on that night FKK was willing to even give his life for that one point. And to me, it was FKK who won us our TC on that night.

... but things have changed now. I believe winning the TC in 92 was our downfall. We overdid things. A lot of people jumped on the BAM bandwagon, shuttlers were made overnight millionaires and over time, our shuttlers lost the edge. They were no longer hungry.

Today, our sportsmen/women are not like yesteryears. Look at our shuttlers today, many lack the drive, mental toughness of our old warriors like Eddy Choong, FKK, Ng Boon Bee etc. I think this applies not only to our current shuttlers but to all Malaysians in general. Compared to our elders, we are having a pretty easy life. I mean for example, my grandfather had to experienced WW2. As for me the closest WW2 experience I had is when I switched on my PS3 and play Modern Warfare in the comfort of my living room. In the 50s, travelling to competition for our shuttlers were no picnic. The travel time takes longer and I doubt it is comfortable and yet they delivered.

Take a look at the current SEA games. Look at the medal table and you will find that Malaysia is trailing Singapore for example. Imagine a nation of 2.5 million is ahead of us. And this is only the SEA games, not Asian games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow.... a blast from the past indeed!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and now,

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Welcoming HangPC2 to BadmintonCentral !!!

Quote Originally Posted by HangPC2 View Post

Welcome to BadmintonCentral HangPC2,

Thanks for the photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Misbun Sidek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Misbun Sidek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love this History tag. If anyone wants to read about Malaysian Badminton History go to Singapore Nat Library website and scour the old ST articles I have found out so many stories.

I love history, but due to lack of space I would just touch on a few names to remember these people.

AS Samuel won several Malaya Open championship. Married a badminton champion (she was Chinese descent) . Went on tour in Europe and won several tournaments in the late 30s. Didnt Win AE.

Then we have Wong Peng Soon, Eddy Choong and brother Ong Poh Lin just to name a few.

In the late 50s and early 60s, Oon CT was quite formidable but lacked support from our BA.

Ng Boon Bee was a school boy in 1957 playing singles in the boys section of Malaya open.

In 1959, a Billy Ng beat the great Thing Hien Hiow in the junior Malaya Open. So did Tan Yee Khan. Incidentally, the ST sport writer said Two Tan Joe Hocks wouldnt be able to beat Thing in a few years.

The Juniors, Yee Khan and a few others went on a tour in Indonesia early 60s. Their behavior so appalled the chaperone from our BA that he recommended they be punished. Dont know what happened after that.

Punch was more of a doubles player than singles.

Malaysia played China (which is actually a closet Indonesia vs Malaysia match) in a friendly in 73, Thing and How trashed our singles made up of Aik Mong and Gunalan. Only our Doubles saved us the blushes.

After that we only have Saw Swee Leong, Phua Ah Hua, James Selvaraj and gang to give us some shiok sendiri in 76 Thomas Cup beating much fancied Denmark.

After that we went down hill until the Sideks appeared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we might not be a badminton powerhouse as in indonesia or china.. but we can produce an eddy choong and a lee chong wei and thats power enough for me...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pajrul View Post
    we might not be a badminton powerhouse as in indonesia or china.. but we can produce an eddy choong and a lee chong wei and thats power enough for me...
    ermm, powerhouse with single occupancy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast