User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default What's next after MP99?

    Hi all,

    need some advice here. Currently I'm using the 3U G5 MP99, very happy with the defence of the MP99, but feel that I'm lacking in the power deparment, esp in smash and backhand return. Yes i know techniques play a part too. Putting technique aside, what other racket would give equivalent defence (if not better) to the MP99 but pack more power?

    Was thinking Sotx Woven 8 or 9, I'm open to other options from makers like Proace etc etc too.

    Keep your comments coming.

    Tks

  2. #2
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,212
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    Was thinking Sotx Woven 8 or 9, I'm open to other options from makers like Proace etc etc too.
    I'd give the Woven 8 and 9 a try...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Woven 8 or 9 would fit my requirement better? seems that 8 is a better match..

    tks

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I'd give the Woven 8 and 9 a try...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cannock, UK
    Posts
    2,908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would suggest something not as stiff as the MP99

  5. #5
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,212
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plinius
    Woven 8 or 9 would fit my requirement better? seems that 8 is a better match..

    tks
    People can recommend rackets until you are blue in the face. Best for you to try each racket if possible. If not, then try the 9, it's a bit more powerful.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You wanted more power ya? Probably you should go for the Woven 9 then...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,948
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'd recommend you stick with your Mp99 and practise your technique.

    The Mp99 is hardly a weak racket (Jonas Rasmussen has called it his "yellow power racket", or something similar).

    The Mp99 (3U) is a superb racket, one of the best Yonex has ever made (no, I don't use it myself, but I have played with it).

    I advise you not to chase perfection in a racket, when you already have such a good one. The next racket you buy might -- only might -- give a tiny bit more power, but it's also likely to screw up your defence. It might even reduce your power.

    Stick with what you know. Seek power through technique and fitness.

    Of course, you're welcome to spend some money if you feel like it I just feel that you may be disappointed.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cannock, UK
    Posts
    2,908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    and/or get a restring, possibly at a lower tension

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Have you ever tried the 2u version of the MP99 if all else fails? Otherwise, I'd go with what Gollum says.

    Besides, anything you gain in the power department isn't without a cost to quickness.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,948
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jinryu
    Besides, anything you gain in the power department isn't without a cost to quickness.
    True, if you try to get power from a heavier or more head-heavy racket.

    Depending on the player, however, a lighter or more head-light racket may increase power.

    I seem to hit harder with an At800-DE than with a supposedly more "powerful" racket (eg. Mp99, Mp100, or Ns9000).

    I think it depends on your swing, and what kind of racket feels right -- that is, what kind of racket suits your timing.

    It never works the other way round, though. A "power racket" always sacrifices a little maneuverability over a "control/defence racket".

    Probably the hardest-hitting players have a stroke that works well with a "power racket". But if this isn't your natural stroke, why try to adapt? There are plenty of compensations if a "control racket" suits your smash better. And there are plenty of very hard-hitting pros who use "control rackets".
    Last edited by Gollum; 12-13-2006 at 04:28 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Darwin, Australia
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    More power than an MP99??! I use them for the power. The defence in my mind isn't the greatest (but I am using 2U and I compared to 3U AT800).

    The 3U is a less 'solid' racquet in my opinion, but still has power.

    The problem I had with my backhand is that they were too fast - because my back is facing the opponent it got to them too quick and didn't give me enough time to recover. I needed to stop hitting hard all the time (it worked for a little while - until they got used to it) and become versatile on the backhand instead. I still hit them hard but try to place them better. A good backhand clear, smash and drop help. The drops can be particularly nasty .

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA, USA
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    True, if you try to get power from a heavier or more head-heavy racket.

    Depending on the player, however, a lighter or more head-light racket may increase power.

    I seem to hit harder with an At800-DE than with a supposedly more "powerful" racket (eg. Mp99, Mp100, or Ns9000).

    I think it depends on your swing, and what kind of racket feels right -- that is, what kind of racket suits your timing.

    It never works the other way round, though. A "power racket" always sacrifices a little maneuverability over a "control/defence racket".

    Probably the hardest-hitting players have a stroke that works well with a "power racket". But if this isn't your natural stroke, why try to adapt? There are plenty of compensations if a "control racket" suits your smash better. And there are plenty of very hard-hitting pros who use "control rackets".
    What weight is your AT800-DE? It took a while for me to try the MP-99 (3U) after many reviewers said it took some adjusting to it. But, for me right from the first shot, everything was great and of the rackets I have tried so far, the 99 gives me the most power. I want to stick to the 99 for a while, but wanted to give the 800-D one try before settling down. Thx.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,948
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BaddGolfer
    What weight is your AT800-DE? It took a while for me to try the MP-99 (3U) after many reviewers said it took some adjusting to it. But, for me right from the first shot, everything was great and of the rackets I have tried so far, the 99 gives me the most power. I want to stick to the 99 for a while, but wanted to give the 800-D one try before settling down. Thx.
    Mine is a 4U.

    If I had to choose a different racket, it would be the Mp99 (3U).

    When I last changed rackets (I was using a Karakal SL-70), I had a difficult time choosing between the At800-De and the Mp99. Both suited me very well.

    More recently, I tried the Mp99 again. I still liked it, but it didn't suit me as well as before. My timing has become optimised for the At800-De, and any other racket now feels too sluggish through the air.

    I'm not saying that the At800-De is "the ultimate racket", but it is the fastest racket I've ever used. For me, it works well.

    If you like the Mp99, then you might also like the At800-De. I was hooked by its maneuverability -- it seems to have no drag -- and that decided me in favour of it. But I had a hard, hard time deciding. They are both great rackets.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hi all,

    thanks for all the replies/advices.

    just back from a game. I manage to dig out my old Carbonex 15 (yes!!) which is like more than 15 yr old. it is a 2U G4! compared to my MP99 (3UG5).. the Carb 15 really weighs a tonne!

    on with the game, the Carb 15 is like a hammer, lift and smash are great which is lacking in the MP99. but when it comes to receiving smashes...sigh.. the Carb 15 is just too slow.. i have problems returning normal/usual smash....

    ok.. now i'm like a little clearer in my need. think i will settle for a light but head heavy racket like the Sotx Woven 9... am i rite?

    how abt the AT800OFF? MP100? or the new TI10??

    thanks

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    sg
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As you have correctly pointed out, changing to a new racquet will not improve your game. One of two things will happen with the new racquet:

    (1) You gain 'power' but lose in 'defensive speed'
    (2) You gain 'defensive speed' but lose 'power'.

    I doubt that there is a racquet that is better in both defensive speed and power than the MP99, otherwise why are pros still using the MP99?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think you might want to give the Armortec 700 a try.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    As you have correctly pointed out, changing to a new racquet will not improve your game. One of two things will happen with the new racquet:

    (1) You gain 'power' but lose in 'defensive speed'
    (2) You gain 'defensive speed' but lose 'power'.

    I doubt that there is a racquet that is better in both defensive speed and power than the MP99, otherwise why are pros still using the MP99?
    I think you are missing the fact that pros have more trained forearms and higher swing-speeds, so stiffness may be a big factor.. Lenght, flex ets are also factors (apart from overall weight and balance point)..

    It most likely that a player can gain both power and defensive speed by choosing a more flexible shaft, lower tension or length/weight/balance combinations imhop...

    Not many pros still use MP99 btw, most pros that used it has switched.. If nothing else because Yonex is "outphasing" the MP series...

    /Twobeer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: MP99 (GVA only)
    By redsun615 in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM
  2. WTB: MP99 (New or Used)
    By My5tiC4L in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 0
    : 06-08-2008, 01:03 AM
  3. Mp99 3U Trade for Mp99 2U?
    By crazy_smasher in forum Market Place
    Replies: 1
    : 05-21-2004, 09:29 AM
  4. Mp99 2u
    By no_name_no_name in forum Market Place
    Replies: 8
    : 03-24-2004, 03:43 PM
  5. SP or JP for MP99??
    By manabu in forum Market Place
    Replies: 2
    : 07-25-2003, 10:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •