where do you hold the racket? grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yoyomonkey, Dec 16, 2006.

1. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

so i had a chance to talk to the best player at your club. He had like the strongest smash and the best net play. His smash, drop etc looks axact the same because he uses wrist a lot. So it's very hard to tell what is going to do.

And he holds the racket way at the end of the grip. He has maybe 80% of the grip inside his palm. I tried and it's almost impossible to smash. I did notice that it does allow better of wrist movement (over when holding the racket in the middle)

i notice other player hold it like at the top when smashing.

So just curios is there a proper way or whatever float his/her boat? thanks

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Singles: I hold it near the bottom for all overhand shots, and most underhand work, though I may choke up to the middle

Doubles: I hold it in the middle, moving higher at the net... this does not make my overhand shots as effective but due to the faster pace of the game, I have less time to adjust my grip, so it's a trade-off.

Mixed: I choke up to the top of the grip so I can get all over those kills and net shots, since I don't have to worry about overhand much.

Whatever is most comfortable for you is good, although most coaches advise holding it lower on the grip for a better lever effect when hitting overhand strokes. For short, quick strokes this isnt' as important, and higher grip can allow for more accuracy.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Let's start with the obvious: all of your fingers should be on the handle. If they are falling off the bottom or holding the shaft, you have a silly grip.

In singles, top players will generally use a long grip for all strokes, even at the net. Some players, however, may prefer a short grip for certain strokes (especially spinning netshots).

In doubles, top players will commonly use a short grip in the midcourt and forecourt. In the rearcourt, however, they will use a long grip.

4. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

One thing to also consider is the length of your racquet. With my MP88 that is the Yonex standard 675mm length, I would shortgrip when playing front in doubles. I find I don't need to do the same with my Woven-8 which is 5mm shorter at 670mm. If you had a racquet that was 680mm long then you'd probably be shortgripping more.

5. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member