User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bananaboy
    American football is nothing more than a gang brawl... and you ever wonder why it is only popular in North America only, really... If we allow physical attacks on the opponent or even own partner during a badminton game, I bet it will be popular in the U.S as well...
    Your perception of American Football is as bad as the masses in America about Badminton.

American Football is an extremely physical and strategic game. If you truly understood it, you would love it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    Not to be funny. But coming from someone like me who knows little of american football, the sport resembles more a multiple pile-up on the motorway than anything else. One can't help wondering if these players should be wearing their seat belts.
    You should try football, it's great fun. I'd be more than happy to tackle you on the open field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

black ppl do play badminton....Bruck B.(i dont kno his last name) won NCS last yr. Men's singles. He alway won B flight at smashapalooza. also, recently i saw hes now part of smash city's elite team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oh boy..

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    You should try football, it's great fun. I'd be more than happy to tackle you on the open field.
    ... ..hehe, CoolDoo6(and anyone else), as a friendly reminder, for sure you don't want to try running thru our NGP.. ...standing & looking at our NGP is enough for you to definitely go back & sit on the bench..unless you want to try & pad yourself up to receive some jar-hitting blows..haha

Back to topic, IMO, yah, concur with what the rest of you have said. Having a certain ethnic group playing certain sport is a combo of different factors, especially money & culture and exposure/marketing. Culture because people will look around their surroundings and if there is/are no other(or not enough) fellow people/groups, of the same ethnic group playing/competing(esp. professionally), then they will withdraw or lose interest. Just like what other have posted. To an extent, people want to feel "connected", "accepted" & "related" to the sport they're playing. I also think the lack of black coaches around could be a factor as well, although very minimal.

As for money factor, hmm, to bring up and example, i thought the U.S. Open few yrs ago had a pretty good money purse??(even up to $200,000, if i'm not mistaken)..But then, the money purse had dwindled since then..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-16-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, we will experience first hand how CD's (COG and MOI) less theory will work out with one touch of Master Dan's finger .

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    ... ..hehe, CoolDoo6(and anyone else), as a friendly reminder, for sure you don't want to try running thru our NGP.. ...standing & looking at our NGP is enough for you to definitely go back & sit on the bench..unless you want to try & pad yourself up to receive some jar-hitting blows..haha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A BF football game?

I'm IN!!!!

I'd be all over a BF rugby game too.

Back on topic - I know only a handful of blacks who play. One of my current part time training partners is black.

I'd go with a cultural expanation but also with access to the sport. It is a bit of an expensive sport relative to other mainstays. The cost of single basketall, football or soccer ball is way lower than a raquet, shuttles and gym time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think black people would be crazy at jump smashes considering how high they can usually jump in basketball.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    If you want to cherry pick only the successful black athletes from africa, then I guess you will have to conclude black people hardly play any sport.

Sporting success is more to do with government investment than to do with economics.
    No. Africa has produced many world class athletes. Ethiopia was dominant in endurance running events for years, and remains strong.

Government investment is entirely to do with economics (the government manage the economy).

You seem to forget that Africa has a terrible poverty problem (not helped by corrupt governments). Vast numbers of Africans life on the edge of starvation, and you want their governments to invest in badminton?

I'm crazy about badminton, but I'd rather have food, clean water, and good healthcare first, thanks
    Last edited by Gollum; 12-17-2006 at 04:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do know an African American friend of mine whom is a former CFL professional '"American Football" player, and he plays badminton after his CFL career ended.

This guy is over 6' tall and well built(not fat), and because of his height, power, and agility... he does play quite well even though he completely lacks proper badminton technique.

I showed him just how to use his wrist for a quick half smash, and damn he smashes like 200+ km/hr without even using full force. If he has the proper technique, he can easily smashes over 270 km/hr if not around 300 with the kind of height and power he has.

He has no footwork technique whatsoever, but because of the agility he gained from his professional football career, he can cover the court by "RUNNING" alone and he can switch direction(either to opposite side or return to the same side just on instinct alone and very fast, too.

In North America, I think that black people whom have "sport" potential will tend to get involve in sports that will pay them good money ONLY, because most of them are living somewhat a lower quality of life, and if they want to improve their lives, "sports" is the way to go with examples like Michael Jordan, Mike Tylson, Tiger Woods... Since badminton doesn't pay well enough, why would one train hard professionally only to know that they will remain "Poor" anyways???

As much as I dislike American Football... well mainly for the name, I give it credit for it does require a strong body and mind as well to play the game well(exclude the fat line-backers who weight 300+ bounds and eat like 20 double cheeseburgers for lunch). It pretty suck A$$ having to look at the other side's 300+ pounder whom is ready to charge at you with 150 pounds of pure muscle and another 150+ pounds of pure fat... no thank you, sir...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bananaboy
    (exclude the fat line-backers who weight 300+ bounds
    I challenge you to find a 300-pound line-backer(I know it was a typo but "300 bounds"[sic] might be more accurate). Maybe a lineman. The linebackers actually have to do some running. They have to be super-tough and they have to be able to run down running backs or even drop back to cover receivers. They are rarely fat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by event
    I challenge you to find a 300-pound line-backer(I know it was a typo but "300 bounds"[sic] might be more accurate). Maybe a lineman. The linebackers actually have to do some running. They have to be super-tough and they have to be able to run down running backs or even drop back to cover receivers. They are rarely fat.
    They are never fat. Linebackers have to be the most well balanced of all the football players (relativey speaking). They have to be fast as well as strong. Believe me, I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by event
    No... It was not a typo.. It's my lack of knowledge in that game... I know you are trying to save face for me, but I always admit my faults when it happens. Thanks for correcting me though... especially before I get flamed for that like crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure he meant linemen. And even then, I bet some of these guys can beat many members here in a short sprint or high jump. Not to mention that they have to be freakishly developed/strong underneath that extra layer of fat. Furthermore, there is quite a bit of technique involved in line play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glacyus
    I'm sure he meant linemen. And even then, I bet some of these guys can beat many members here in a short sprint or high jump. Not to mention that they have to be freakishly developed/strong underneath that extra layer of fat. Furthermore, there is quite a bit of technique involved in line play.
    Of course, they get paid for playing the game... they have got to be fitter than average/above average athletes.

But to be honest, those extra layer(s) of fat is not something impressive enough to show off to anyone though...

There are alot of different plays and formations in American football, and each one is an outright winner play if and only if the players are good and capable of executing it perfectly... so yeah, those guys are good, but the game itself is in my opinion too rough to be called a "sport", because the rules actually allow hits which can cause serious injury if proper "falling" technique is not used, or when accident happens... It's too much of a brawl type thing...

In real football, there is contact involved, but if you get too rough... be ready to step out of the field and that's what rules are supposed to be... by the way, black people are good at real football, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following that line of reasoning would rule out boxing as a sport as well. Judo, rugby, lacrosse, hockey, wrestling, etc. too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe in the US, badminton has more of an image as an 'Asian' sport. I've seen photos of clubs there where it seems 90%+ are Asians.

In the UK, there are all black badminton league clubs, including some of the best (they don't discriminate against other races, they're just in black neighbourhoods). I played against the England no.10 singles player, who is black, and the England number 1 is of Indian heritage.

I think here badminton is just a minor sport, but it doesn't have an association with any particular race.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I see lots of black people playing at a recreational level. They're really good cause they either have crazy power or lots of reach.

Also, on the note of football, I don't mind it and I'm Korean ^^. I actually find it's a lot more than men touching each other. I'm really scrawny but I'm decent at a recreational level so your stature doesn't really matter i guess ^_^

Also, lets note that Heinz Ward is half korean.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast