User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by david14700
    I played against the England no.10 singles player, who is black, and the England number 1 is of Indian heritage.
    Andrew Smith having indian heritage??? Must be many generations ago then

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer
    Andrew Smith having indian heritage??? Must be many generations ago then

/Twobeer
    You know who he meant but I'm pretty sure he's a pakistani.

And on topic: there was/is a video of an african player playing against Chen Hong in the 1st round of the China Open and he was pretty good. Would probably wipe > 90% of the bc members off the court . Also I guess there's some badminton going on in Nigeria, every year there are supposedly nigerian entries in the Dutch Open but every year they withdraw so perhaps there's something else going on behind that
    As for the US situation I guess if you had to pick a sport I'd pick one where I could get a scholarship with. Don't know how the badminton situation and scholarships is but I guess I'd probably be able to get a soccer scholarship maybe academic even but don't know the criteria for that one.
    Last edited by demolidor; 12-22-2006 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here where I am I am in a university club, and there is not one black person now that I think about it. Then again, there are also 3 times as much guys then girls. There are a few oriental people and asian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The number one (by a long shot) Under 18s player in the South Island, NZ (where I am) is black, and this he's not officially in the U18s age group until next year! He also represented NZ at the World Junior Champs this year. Then again I really can't think of any others in my age group. Most black people (and white for that matter) in NZ tend to play Rugby >_>.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Don't know if any of you seen the Howard U. team's pic..

..but i just happen to stumble on these pics, which were taken just last yr...Looks like Howard Univ. has a pretty good team there to build upon(i wonder who is their coach?)..Despite their result(s), i hope the team is growing, if at least still intact..
    http://www.astro.umd.edu/~teuben/bad.../20051204.html
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-28-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of find this thread being a bit racist... "Why don't black people play badminton?" But anyways... There are SOME black people play badminton, in my high school region and he was a really good single player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of sports in which it is uncommon to see certain races involved in...I think it is because of the lack of encouragement by peers. For example, I am asian, and stereotypically, in my school, asian people usually play badminton, table tennis, and are on the swim team. I know my parents really encouraged me towards these sports, however I really disappointed them (and surprised them) when I took up wrestling instead. So I guess that you don't see many black people playing badminton because of the lack of encouragement to do so by their peers/family..etc. This lack of encouragement is probably because of the money reason...toughness..etc. I know I no longer compete in wrestling in order to have more time for badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liddokun
    There are a lot of sports in which it is uncommon to see certain races involved in...I think it is because of the lack of encouragement by peers. For example, I am asian, and stereotypically, in my school, asian people usually play badminton, table tennis, and are on the swim team. I know my parents really encouraged me towards these sports, however I really disappointed them (and surprised them) when I took up wrestling instead. So I guess that you don't see many black people playing badminton because of the lack of encouragement to do so by their peers/family..etc. This lack of encouragement is probably because of the money reason...toughness..etc. I know I no longer compete in wrestling in order to have more time for badminton.
    Yes. Why don't Asians play American Football?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not a tradition for blak people..and they like to play exciting and populer sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

american peoplegrow up in a football world, tv and peer pressure probebly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its like introducing an asian person to a diet full of pasta and absolutely no rice. Theyre not used to it, nor truly know what the sport is. well kind of a stupid simile but black people are usually gangsters, into hip hop or whatnot. stereotypically sayin, they want to be cool, and badminton as of now, is not cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

o and btw, i found a video with a black person in it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aOQDPQw-A...related&search=

its wen peter did the trick shot, lol or is that an indian?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Youngunz_77
    o and btw, i found a video with a black person in it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aOQDPQw-A...related&search=

its wen peter did the trick shot, lol or is that an indian?
    he is Pullela Gopichand from india

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crosscourt
    The major international tournaments are dominated by a core of list of countries which, in my opinion, comprise China, Malaysia, Indonesia, S. Korea, Denmark and UK. Other countries do appear but only due to having ex-pat players from the core countries (eg France with Pi Hongyan, USA with Tony Gunawan etc).

There are very few black players at major tournaments (although I recall that maybe Uganda or Kenya sent a team to the last Commonwealth Games). However, there are also very few, if any, hispanic players, European players (other than English and Danish) , Middle-Eastern players etc.

As the sport grows in popularity I'm sure we'll see a greater ethnic diversity and then who knows what race the world champion will be. Someone said to me the other day "If someone had come up to you 10 years ago and said to you that in 10 years time the most succesful golfer in the world will be black and the most succesful rapper in the world will be white, would you have believed them?"

It may also be that children of black, middle-eastern, hispanic etc immigrants don't play because there's no history of the game in their culture and also there are no role models to encourage them. It would be interesting to know how many black kids took up golf after seeking Tiger Woods succeed, or how many black kids took up tennis after seeing the Williams sisters succeed.

After typing out this detailed response, I thought of a much simpler way of expressing it : The answer is probably the same as "Why don't chinese people play cricket?" -
    I'm assuming your talking about Woods it would be nice if you acknowledged him as mixed because he is not only black ya know =P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow...imprised...no asians?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a known reality that blacks more or less rule the track and field sports. It's no surprise that they would do well in winter track sport like speed skating. Don't know why not more countries train these athletes for speed skating and speed swimming.
    ----------------------------------
    Shani Davis wins gold in men's 1,000 speedskating
    By PAUL NEWBERRY (AP) – 8 minutes ago

RICHMOND, British Columbia — Shani Davis has won his second straight gold medal in the men's 1,000-meter Olympic speedskating.

Davis defended the title he won four years ago in Turin, when he became the first African-American to win an individual gold medal at the Winter Games.

Mo Tae-bum of South Korea took the silver Wednesday, 18-hundredths of a second behind Davis' winning time of 1:08.94. Chad Hedrick of the U.S. won the bronze in 1:09.32.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    -------
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cooler; 02-17-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast