footwork problem?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Azianhero, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

I've been having troubles with my footwork lately for some reason.
    first of all when i return a smash from the side, i always tempt to stomp when receiving the smash on the side. Then the opponent does a drop shot which its hard for me to lunge forward to the net and then they end up doing a kill :mad:
    how would u stop stomping when ur recieving a smash from the side and come up to recieve the drop shot? also im not a flat footed player

2. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    I don't think you would need to stop stompng, rather then do either of three things.
    1. Make it so your opponent can't return your smashes, in other words, make them stronger.
    2. Aim your smashes so they have to return it to you
    3. Improve your leg strength so that you can rebound from a stomp quickly.

I'm not that good, but I hoped this helped.

3. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    It may have something to do with the structure of the footwork itself, or you may be heavy on your feet. The following is assuming that you are a right-handed player... reverse it if you're a leftie.

When getting to a smash on the right side, you should take a quick shuffle step slightly to your right, then lunge out with your right, ensuring to land heel-toe with the front of you foot facing the next court. This allows you to effectively push off with your toe to regain your position in the middle.

The backhand is the same in reverse, except you cross your right foot over your left to make that lunge. Advanced players may simply shuffle and not cross over their feet, but it's best to do the footwork like this first.

If you practice this and go side to side quickly, thirty seconds on twenty seconds off for 6-8 repetitions, you will notice that you will move more smoothly and stomp less. This will transition to your game and allow you to be better prepared to get to the next shot.

4. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    avoid stomping cause, it hurts your ankles, also stomping gives a sudden stop(unless your shoes lost its grip), and if you are running foward and you stomp to stop yourself or slowdown you might fall foward

but I suggest you land on your heels, also tie your shoes tight

#4 yy_ling, Dec 16, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2006